Local rugby club

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Re: Local rugby club

Post by fuzzylogic »

by BR » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:54 am
Tighty wrote:
You can never eliminate mismatches in size as they can happen in the same age group,
in Aus and IIRC NZ, kids teams are catogorized by weight rather than age.
There can still be a hell of a lot of size mismatches there!!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Played for Lurgan up until about 5 year's ago, haven't really been up too much since tbh. Found having free Saturdays is brilliant. Down to 2 teams but I think we have quite a few youngsters coming through now so hope for the future.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

This may sound like a really stupid question but are our South African players linked to clubs so that if they were to get badly injured they could get a bit of game-time when they come back? Players like D'arcy and Diack have played for Ballynahinch I think and in his short time here Emerick also played for them. I also remember Danielli playing a few times for Malone.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Unsure as to who Diack is affiliated too, D'Arcy has played for Hinch, Emerick played for Malone.

As of next year I think all NIQ players can't be allocated to a club it is only Irish Qualified players that will be allocated and they must be allocated to a club in Division 1.
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Although not my club I watch Instonians from time to time and I would say their captain 'Dougie' is the stand out player..23 year old ex Ulster Academy hooker who plays back row now..fantastic pace and knows how to put tries away..his only handicap is hes not a big fella but he is a hard wee man to stop and is teak tough.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

cjp wrote:Unsure as to who Diack is affiliated too, D'Arcy has played for Hinch, Emerick played for Malone.

As of next year I think all NIQ players can't be allocated to a club it is only Irish Qualified players that will be allocated and they must be allocated to a club in Division 1.
So does that mean players like Rory Best will probably go back to Harlequins from Banbridge? And Chris Henry back to Ballymena from Malone?
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Supposedly yes they should be re-allocated.
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Banbridge--very friendly club were my wee fella plays for the Mighty under 7's.

Previously played for lisburn many moons ago---Unfortunately think they are one of the most underachieving clubs--many good players from potential feeder schools went elsewhere (used to be very 'clichy')---One of the main clubs to benefit over the last 20 years was Ballynahinch---they've done quite well....
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

Jockster wrote:Banbridge--very friendly club were my wee fella plays for the Mighty under 7's.

Previously played for lisburn many moons ago---Unfortunately think they are one of the most underachieving clubs--many good players from potential feeder schools went elsewhere (used to be very 'clichy')---One of the main clubs to benefit over the last 20 years was Ballynahinch---they've done quite well....
aah Banbridge, final resting point of dutch "star" barro kessler

he put on about 35 kilos there by all accounts

:-)
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9322.php

The University of Ulster (Coleraine Campus) will be offering International Rugby Scholarships for 2011/12 season.
Share The University will award up to two postgraduate Masters Course scholarships to high level rugby players who currently reside out of the UK.
One of the scholarships will allow an Irish qualified rugby player who resides outside of Northern Ireland but is Irish qualified. The other will be an international based player.

In addition to playing for UUC RFC each scholarship will include:

Tuition fees to a postgraduate masters course of choice based at the Coleraine campus.
Assistance to living costs throughout the year.
Anyone interested should send their name, date of birth, postal address, a brief CV of their rugby career and academic qualifications to: Gareth Millar, Rugby Development Officer at millar_redsox@hotmail.co.uk
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Joony-k
Novice

Post by Joony-k »

Lurgan Lad wrote:Played for Lurgan up until about 5 year's ago, haven't really been up too much since tbh. Found having free Saturdays is brilliant. Down to 2 teams but I think we have quite a few youngsters coming through now so hope for the future.
I currently play for Lurgan and have to say that the future of the club is looking great. The u15s and u17s have both won silverware and the u13s are playing in final at Ravenhill on the 30th of this Month.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Great to hear that Joony-k, heard along those lines but didn't want to state things I didn't know as fact. AFAIK there was little youth rugby in my day, first experience of playing rugby was in 4th form at the College and wasn't until upper 6th that I had much interest.
TimGibson
Novice

Post by TimGibson »

Would go and watch hinch from time to time, from what ive seen James Thompson defiantly deserves a chance, as does Bambury