MUNSTER THREAD 2010/11

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: MUNSTER THREAD 2010/11

Post by rocky »

Have to say I think that post is unfair and unworthy of you, Jackie. Also, if Munster are poor at bringing young players through, how is it that they beat the Ravens 30 - 3 down there and 28 - 3 here? Anyone who writes Munster off for next season is not thinking clearly, it seems to me.

Rocky.
Bo***cks to Brexit
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Munster disappointing and looked excessively casual at the start. Quins were talked up massively on SKY- the standard OTT assessment of English players as demi-gods - we'll see how good they are against an off the boil Stade Francais.

Roman Prat was as good as ever!!! >TM What an annoying little whining voice he has.

I don't think Munster are playing well but I don't think they are in rapid decline either. A pity they didn't win and get Connacht a place in the Heiny. And I thought Stringer made a big difference as usual when he came on- like Boss did in the Leinster game.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Everything is relative including the state of Munster Rugby.

Thought it pains me to say it, for the last decade, Munster were a rugby juggernaut crushing teams with their sheer winning mentality and forward power.

They are still a great team, better than Ulster, but too many of their key 30+ players are showing signs of decline and as a unit, they are not the force they were. I’m old enough to remember when Ulster won the inter pros every year for over a decade and that team faded in exactly the same way that this Munster team is.
Leinster will have a couple of years before they hit the same pattern, but what will save them is the young players they have coming through.

I predict than in two years time (end of 2012-2013 season) Munster will be the third ranked Irish Province.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Father Jack wrote:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:2 posts on munsterfans later and the whiteknight has been banned from there.
apparently they dont agree that poite is having a good game and that going to old langers such as horan and hayes is a good option to try and turn things around....

their mods could learn a trick or 2 from the good father - leniancy is a virtue...

Glad you appreciate our tolerance WKOTW just make sure you continue to do it justice. :cowboy:
Slightly unworthy of you Jack, you get a fulsome compliment and turn it into a threat. Not many get compliments from Welder.

Harsh............... oh & please don't ban me for making a simple honest assessment. That would be grossly unfair.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Did anybody watch RTE last night? I thought they were very harsh on Munster. Yes they are having a bit of trouble developing young players but just because they did not qualify for the knock-out stages of the European Cup for 1 year does not mean that their period of dominance is over. Does Hook not even watch Munster in the League? The fact they had really nothing to play for against a Ospreys side going all out for a play off place and they still beat them and they are miles ahead in the league itself! Don't jump to conclusions just because that is their second loss in Europe in 42 encounters at home RTE!
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Don't think it's that simple Gannonman.
George never lets facts get in the way of his story.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Snipe Watson wrote:Everything is relative including the state of Munster Rugby.

Thought it pains me to say it, for the last decade, Munster were a rugby juggernaut crushing teams with their sheer winning mentality and forward power.

They are still a great team, better than Ulster, but too many of their key 30+ players are showing signs of decline and as a unit, they are not the force they were. I’m old enough to remember when Ulster won the inter pros every year for over a decade and that team faded in exactly the same way that this Munster team is.
Leinster will have a couple of years before they hit the same pattern, but what will save them is the young players they have coming through.

I predict than in two years time (end of 2012-2013 season) Munster will be the third ranked Irish Province.

Spot on Snipe. Agree with every word :salut:
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

gannonman wrote:Did anybody watch RTE last night? I thought they were very harsh on Munster. Yes they are having a bit of trouble developing young players but just because they did not qualify for the knock-out stages of the European Cup for 1 year does not mean that their period of dominance is over. Does Hook not even watch Munster in the League? The fact they had really nothing to play for against a Ospreys side going all out for a play off place and they still beat them and they are miles ahead in the league itself! Don't jump to conclusions just because that is their second loss in Europe in 42 encounters at home RTE!

I'm with the gannon man on this one. They'll be back.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

rocky wrote:Have to say I think that post is unfair and unworthy of you, Jackie. Also, if Munster are poor at bringing young players through, how is it that they beat the Ravens 30 - 3 down there and 28 - 3 here? Anyone who writes Munster off for next season is not thinking clearly, it seems to me.

Rocky.
Spot on Rocky, shameful post Jackie.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

bootlaced wrote:
againstthehead wrote:I wonder if the performance against the Ospreys had anything to do with it? Munster were immense last weekend - maybe they would have been better having a rest? Tell you what, we DO NOT want to play munster in the league semi-final - they'll rest their entire side next week and then go full out for the semi-final at thomand. Give me the ladyboys with one eye on the HC final any day...

I still reckon Munster are on the downward spiral,they have no midfield,the props are past it and they need a new hooker.,and the backrow probably don't have more that one season left in them,they are weak at 9[ although Murray looks to have potential] and 10,and the back 3 don't really show any spark any more.No doubts the coaches will be blamed.They will still be strong for the rest of the season but next year they are in danger of fading.Sad all the same unless they really concentrate on bringing new and young players through but will the Munsters faithful have the patience.
Boot I restrained my self early today when reading your tosh but can't do any longer.
they are weak at 9 and 10,and the back 3 don't really show any spark any more
That shows a complete lack of appreciation. To say they are weak at 10 is just outrageous, furthermore their back three is fine, their weakness is the one spot you missed - the centres where Mafi is a liabilty, Warwick not a centre & Sam Tuitupou a dreadfully limited signing.

I don't know if Bumper has a Humph equivalent, possibly Shuan Payne but whoever is in charge of recruitment isn't worth the steam of your pish. How a team with their recent history isn't attracting the biggest of names is beyond me. There have been a long recent list of appalling signings, never mind all this talk of youngsters. Unless they are overcommitted in terms of paying for the stadium it is unfathomable. Let me just mention Peter Borlaise - enough said ? >TB

If Bumper is getting the players he wants then its time he was gone. I am an ardent Munster fan and I don't like the signs of whats going on. Decline yes, I suspect the ML form is masking problems when they come up against the best teams - not of course that that description fits Quins. Munster need some quality signings or BJ is going to have a very frustrating time there.

bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Ok,two seasons from now,what will the Munster 15 be,and more important how many Munster players will be in the Irish 15?

The most important question there is what will the Munster 15 be in two years.? DOC and POC in the pack,Earls and Jones, in the backs,and maybe Murray at 9.

Plus I would once again mention as I have posted before that they are on a downward spiral,and have no midfield. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

The quality of players coming through is not good enough to keep them at the top table of European rugby.
Without POC they are noticeably underpowered in the front 5.
They will not crash and burn because they play smart and have an excellent team spirit but we should be able to pass them in the next 2 years.

I would put Munster on a par with a team like Sarcens now in the near future - decent but not great.
In the last decade they have been as great
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Ah well that was disappointing old stuff. Munster were just not good enough and Harelequins deserved the victory as they were the better team on the day.

The breakdown area really was a big difference between the teams. While Quins were in there securing their own ball and brilliantly turning over Munster ball, Munster couldn't do a thing a lot of the time. The Munster pack came off second best in almost every area of play as far as I could see. Although POC was missed in terms of the starting lineup this is not a good enough reason why Munster were so dominated.

In terms of competing with the big teams Munster have problems in the front row and back row with really only Wally at the level required. Also second row in the absence of POC is going to struggle.

I agree completely with Snipe regarding Quinlan. The most underrated player I've seen. You can be damn sure if he was there on Saturday Quins wouldn't have had such an easy time. Leamy is not fit to lace his boots. Leamy is physical and is not without rugby ability but he has absolutely no rugby brain. Quinnie has everything Leamy has, except the pace, and more and also has a great rugby brain.

Of course the other area of huge concern is the one I've been moaning about for so long, centre. Even the most blind in our midst are finally seeing how poor Mafi really is. The concerning thing for Munster is that the guy they brought in last year, Tuitupou, is actually worse. Neither of these guys are rugby players. I'd suggest they are in the bottom 2 centres in the magners league. The worst part about it is that you have 3 pretty high class players at 11.14 & 15 but it makes no difference. You could have Campese, Cullen and Lomu there and outside those 2 fecking useless f-ckers it wouldn't matter. Warwick wouldn't tackle a junior player. He has his strong points of course but I often feel he's not really a guy who is of great value when the going gets tough.

Munster will still compete well against the magners teams week to week but will always struggle in the big games now until changes happen. Need to find about 6 new players as a matter of urgency-- 2 front row, 2 back row & 2 centre-- and need to keep POC fit.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Shan wrote: Munster will still compete well against the magners teams week to week but will always struggle in the big games now until changes happen. Need to find about 6 new players as a matter of urgency-- 2 front row, 2 back row & 2 centre-- and need to keep POC fit.
Spot on :thumleft:
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

I didn't actually see the game on Saturday, but could hardly believe the result when I heard it - no disrespect to Quins, but that wouldn't have happened a couple of years ago.

Too many players ageing/chronically injury-prone, allied with poor NIQ/project recruitment and a dire output from the academy. You have to have big question marks over their front row, back row and centres in particular - although presumably they will line up a marquee name for 12 next season, which would be a big help. Of the young lads at the club, the only ones that I've actually been impressed by are Murray (22), Zebo (21) and Nagle (22) - but if everyone's fit, I'd imagine that they'd still be well down the pecking order in their respective positions, for whatever reason it seems that the academy boys aren't trusted until they're 21-22 at least, a couple of years older than in Leinster and Ulster - this may just be a reflection of a weaker crop of players, but looking at Murray in particular this season, I was wondering why we had to wait until he was 21 to get a look at him??

In the back row Quinlan is a massive loss, Wallace has had a good enough season but I still think he's becoming less effective, and that is only going one way at this stage, and outside that there is a serious lack of class. Guys who were talked up (TOD, POM) just don't really look that convincing, the little I've seen of them.

It seems a bit strange to be very critical of them when they romped off with the league and I'd hesitate to predict 'terminal decline' about them of all teams, but I find it hard to see anything other than a rocky road for them over the next 2-3 years. They completed a straightforward double over us, but in neither match did they encounter our full-strength team - and tbh I think that I'd definitely fancy us if they did.
Last edited by darkside lightside on Tue May 03, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden