Squad for next year

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

The FRU
Squire

Re: Squad for next year

Post by The FRU »

Wilson was twice the Front Row Union Ulster player of the year before he went to Northampton and was always a good player at Ulster without grabbing the headlines (well at least on the pitch). He's also desperately unlucky only to get one Irish cap and really he should be considered as back row/second row cover for Ireland for the world cup.

Diack is the next best thing we have seen and has the potential to be as good if not better than Wilson if only he was played at eight more often.
Save the Cheerleader, Save Hollywood Mike!

http://thefrontrowunion.com
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

gannonman wrote:
backawaygoonahead wrote:Frankly I don't care if none of our players are selected by Deccie, Robinson, Henry or de Villiers for the RWC. In relation to Irish rugby its about as relevant as Sevens. A waste of time, much as I will watch most of it.
I could not agree more. I sort of support Ireland when the Six nations/test matches are on but I don't really care if they lose if that makes any sense. Ulster is the most important! :red:
You are not agreeing with me in that case, I am a fervent Ireland supporter but don't think that centring our international world is worth the effort because we are not in my lifetime going to win it. If you are content with a quarter final appearance or some time maybe a wee semi, then fine.

For me an Ireland coach building towards a RWC is rubbish. He should be playing the best man for the position in every meaningful international. Ulster is equally important in my affections and I get more joy out of an Ulster win but pre-match they are equally important.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

The FRU wrote:Diack is the next best thing we have seen and has the potential to be as good if not better than Wilson if only he was played at eight more often.
I hope to be proved wrong but I suspect Robbie lacks the bit of "dog" in him that would make him sensational at any level.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

I don't think Diack's quick or explosive enough to be sensational
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

backawaygoonahead wrote:
The FRU wrote:Diack is the next best thing we have seen and has the potential to be as good if not better than Wilson if only he was played at eight more often.
I hope to be proved wrong but I suspect Robbie lacks the bit of "dog" in him that would make him sensational at any level.

Yip ... but I've been wiating to be proved wrong for a but too long now for my liking.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Is it just me, or is anyone else getting a little concerned by how thin our squad is looking next year??

- I don't think 6 props is enough (7 including Macklin, who is still very young for a TH), when TC will be with Ireland for a reasonable amount of time, Deccy Fitz seems to be quite injury prone and Black is a bit of an unknown quantity.
- Even if Ferris is going to return at some stage, it's a fair assumption that he won't play in that many games next year, with Ireland duty and the inevitable injuries, and flogging the same 4/5 guys for the rest of the season, with not much apparently in the academy would concern me
- at half-back we are just 2 injuries away from having to try to compete next season with say Marshall & Paddy Jackson/Wallace. Not an awful situation, but no disrespect to any of those players, would we be confident going away in France or England to get a result with that pairing?
- we have 4 fully-contracted back 3 players, plus Gaston, Gilroy & Cochrane in the academy. With Trimble's international duty & Danielli's plunging form, we again are only a couple of injuries away from having to rely on a raw/unfamiliar back 3. Again not disastrous because our academy boys in this case look pretty promising.

Just get the feeling that overall we started with a small squad, and this has net reduced (8 senior players leaving, 5 coming in plus 2 bumped from development to full contracts) leaving us uncomfortably thin on the ground in a few key positions..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Surely we will have the same number of contracted players as we did this season? Is there room for anymore signings?
LTHG
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

We need a 3 and a 10 and if Ferris isn't looking good a backrower.

If Humph or Fitzpatrick got injured during the World Cup who would play 3 and 10 ?

Jackson at 10 by default but the cover on the bench would be ??
TH would be ??
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

It appears to me that during RWC and recuperation time our squad is going to be very inexperienced. Unlike Munster and Leinster who are going to be have guys with international experience not selected for Ireland we are going to be starting our campaign with a very inexperienced bunch. These guys will benefit from the exposure but I hope this doesn't leave us too exposed and possibly dropping unnecessary points early doors. I suppose ally will depend on our luck of the draw fixture wise. If we get Italian or Scottish opponents the likelyhood will be that they will be in a similar situation.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

I don't think the WC will hurt us that much.

At best we'll have 5 players in the Irish squad in Court, Best, Ferris, Wallace and Trimble, Pienaar I expect will be with SA and obviously Afoa won't be joining us until after the WC anyway. Oh and Danielli may be with Scotland.

We could still put out this side:

15 Payne (assume he gets here in time for the new season?)
14 Gilroy
13 Cave
12 Spence
11 D'Arcy
10 Humphreys
9 Marshall
1 McAlistair
2 Brady
3 Fitzpatrick
4 Muller
5 Tuohy
6 Wannenberg/Henry
7 Faloon/Henry
8 Diack/Henry/Wannenberg

Bench
Kyriacu, Black, Cronin, Barker/Stevenson, whichever back row misses out, Porter, Marshall, Gaston

That's not too shabby at all.
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

No but it's not the 15 that we could put out that concerns me. It's the team we put after the injuries kick in. Someone posted elsewhere that at any one time something like 20% of players are injured. It's the depth of our squad that may be an issue.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

One wonders if Paddy will make the RWC squad. If he does its only to justify Deccy's messing over the last 2 or 3 years.
porterbelly
Novice

Post by porterbelly »

ColinM wrote:One wonders if Paddy will make the RWC squad. If he does its only to justify Deccy's messing over the last 2 or 3 years.
Was he in the 50 man squad in Carton House ? Brett Wilkinson was so that may mean he isn't
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

As posted above Harold7 who backs up Jackson at 10 if Humph isd injured and who starts ar TH if Fitzpatrick is injured ?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

porterbelly wrote:
ColinM wrote:One wonders if Paddy will make the RWC squad. If he does its only to justify Deccy's messing over the last 2 or 3 years.
Was he in the 50 man squad in Carton House ? Brett Wilkinson was so that may mean he isn't
Paddy Wallace I mean.... if he wasnt there it may have been due to his thumb surgery. Its a common view that our Paddy is no longer the 3rd choice fly half or even second choice 12 so he may just miss out to McFadden or perhaps Spence.