Brirish Olympics Sevens Team

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Brirish Olympics Sevens Team

Post by Shan »

Fly Half wrote:An Ireland team at the Olympics would have the ROI anthem and flag, which is at odds with the IRFU's attemps at all island inclusivity. So to be consistent, either they scrap Ireland's Call for all games or don't enter a team for the Olympics.
This is a good point and is not a nice situation for the IRFU as they will be bound by the IOC on this matter I think.

I think in most other Olympic sports the competitors from NI have an option to compete for either GB or Ireland with the understanding that they will compete under the tricolour if they select Ireland. The rugby players are not getting this choice so if they wish to compete at the Olympics they will have to compete under a flag they may not consider their own. This doesn't seem right but I'm not sure what can be done. Not entering a team at all seems the easiest thing to do.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The whole thing is a red herring anyway as it is very very unlikely that any players from here would get picked for a British Olympic 7's side who currently play under IRFU contracts, there is however nothing to stop a non contracted player from competing except the minor problem of getting selected. Any British 7's side will be picked from the current 7's players on the circuits.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Snipe Watson wrote: The IRFU are highly political, not overtly political like the GAA, but political nonetheless. For example, the decision not to play GSTQ at Ravenhill was purely political.
Jackie Brown wrote:Don't forget the fact we didn't fly the Union flag that day either.
Surely even the most rabid Unionist would concede that doing either of those things would be absolutely moronic :roll:

We need to bring rugby to every corner of the nine counties of Ulster, we need to establish rugby as a NEUTRAL sport equally available to everyone regardless of background or political affiliation. How on earth does bringing divisive symbols like flags and anthems to Ravenhill on a big occasion where rugby in NI is in the shop window to those outside it's traditional support base help do that?

The fact we have the Union flag outside Ravenhill for most matches is bad enough. We need to be entirely politically neutral to attract more fans and players to the game. So ditch the Unionist insecurity complex and whataboutery for 10 seconds would you please?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

notj wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: The IRFU are highly political, not overtly political like the GAA, but political nonetheless. For example, the decision not to play GSTQ at Ravenhill was purely political.
Jackie Brown wrote:Don't forget the fact we didn't fly the Union flag that day either.
Surely even the most rabid Unionist would concede that doing either of those things would be absolutely moronic :roll:

We need to bring rugby to every corner of the nine counties of Ulster, we need to establish rugby as a NEUTRAL sport equally available to everyone regardless of background or political affiliation. How on earth does bringing divisive symbols like flags and anthems to Ravenhill on a big occasion where rugby in NI is in the shop window to those outside it's traditional support base help do that?

The fact we have the Union flag outside Ravenhill for most matches is bad enough. We need to be entirely politically neutral to attract more fans and players to the game. So ditch the Unionist insecurity complex and whataboutery for 10 seconds would you please?
I'm on record as regularly posting that all flags, anthems and emblems should be removed from rugby in Ireland. We have a perfectly acceptable IRFU flag and Irelands Call so why do we need any anthem or flag. However the IRFU had an agreement that the anthem of the jurisdiction in which the game was staged would be played before the game so fair enough at least that is fair. When it came to the playing of a full international in Belfast, during the Croke Park residency.........guess what, no anthem at all....... Similarly the tricolour is always flown at Lansdowne, so why was the Union Flag REMOVED for that game?

In not a rabid unionist, but I am a rabid advocate of fair play and sticking to a previously agreed understanding.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Snipe Watson wrote:
In not a rabid unionist, but I am a rabid advocate of fair play and sticking to a previously agreed understanding.
What previously agreed understanding?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

mikerob wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
The one in the previous paragraph
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Snipe Watson wrote:
mikerob wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
The one in the previous paragraph
Have you any proof that such an "agreement" existed?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Yes I have the sworn statements filed away in my deposit box. Just because you never heard about it..... Even that paragon of equity George Hook knew about it and said the IRFU chickened out.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Snipe Watson wrote:Yes I have the sworn statements filed away in my deposit box. Just because you never heard about it..... Even that paragon of equity George Hook knew about it and said the IRFU chickened out.
Citing George Hook as evidence? Come off it.

If you can produce a statement or document from the IRFU that proves there was an agreement, then I'll believe it, otherwise it just remains internet hearsay.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

This is what the IRFU said at the time....
A spokesman for the IRFU said last night that the position of the organisation on anthems had been agreed by all four provinces, including Ulster.
He said: "This is not a cop-out by the IRFU, but our official position.
"When a game is played in the jurisdiction of the Irish Republic, Ireland's Call and Amhran na bhFiann are played. Outside that jurisdiction, Ireland's Call is played.
"That is what has been agreed and that is what will happen on Friday."
Like Snipe I think there should be no national flags in rugby grounds while there is rugby being played. Lansdowne Road is also home to the Éire football team so a permanent removal is not possible. The IRFU flag is sufficient although I don't think there is anything wrong with having the provincial flags, certainly in the provincial grounds.

I've also stated in the past only Ireland's Call should be played.....though I'd prefer "There is an Isle" of course. :)
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

... except that the Ireland Sevens team wouldn't be standing for Ireland's Call in the 2016 Olympics which AFAIK is outside of the jurisdiction of the Irish Republic.

So do they just make it up as they go along?
The future isn't what it used to be
TheBoat
Novice

Post by TheBoat »

What makes people from Dublin, Limerick or Galway more Irish and more represented by the Ireland Rugby team than someone from Belfast? It represents two states but only recognise one of them. This has helped breed a sentiment of a two tier system. Always easier for a ROI resident to get on the team than a Northerner, Press bias and national sentiment fueled by the IRFU not recognising Northern Ireland.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Fly Half wrote:... except that the Ireland Sevens team wouldn't be standing for Ireland's Call in the 2016 Olympics which AFAIK is outside of the jurisdiction of the Irish Republic.

Not really. As I said in an earlier post they would be bound by the IOC during any Olympic games. They won't have a choice.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Fly Half wrote:... except that the Ireland Sevens team wouldn't be standing for Ireland's Call in the 2016 Olympics which AFAIK is outside of the jurisdiction of the Irish Republic.

The IOC only recognise teams from national Olympic committees, so that means the British Olympic Association or the Olympic Council of Ireland. And even if there was an Ireland 7s team in the Olympics, it isn't representing the IRFU, it is representing the Olympic Council of Ireland (www.olympicsport.ie). The national Olympic body may request that the governing body of a particular sport selects the athletes who should attend, but the athletes will be representing the Olympic association.

But as Rooster says, it will be a moot point. There will only be 12 countries qualifying for the Olympic 7s, and they will be divided geographically so that means 2 or maybe 3 from Europe. There would need to be an Ireland 7s team on the circuit to even qualify and the IRFU have shown no signs that they are prepared to make the investment in a separate 7s team.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

mikerob wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Yes I have the sworn statements filed away in my deposit box. Just because you never heard about it..... Even that paragon of equity George Hook knew about it and said the IRFU chickened out.
Citing George Hook as evidence? Come off it.

If you can produce a statement or document from the IRFU that proves there was an agreement, then I'll believe it, otherwise it just remains internet hearsay.
You believe what you want Mike, I couldn't care less.