Ireland U20 JWC Squad

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ireland U20 JWC Squad

Post by Big-al »

Rooster when McKinney scored his last penalty kick 4min before time was up, Ireland never collected the restart so how could McKinney close the game out if he hadn't the ball?
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Changes made to face the Saffies:

Ireland Under-20 Team to play South Africa Under-20:(IRB Junior World Championship, Treviso, Tuesday, 13th June, kick-off 20.10hrs local time/ 19.10hrs Irish time)

15 - Tiernan O’Halloran (Galwegians - Connacht)
14 - Andrew Conway (Blackrock - Leinster)
13 - Brendan Macken (Blackrock - Leinster)
12 - JJ Hanrahan (UL Bohemians- Munster)
11 - Craig Gilroy (Dungannon - Ulster)
10 - James McKinney (Queens - Ulster)
- Kieran Marmion (UWIC - Exile)
1 - James Tracy (UCD - Leinster)
2 - Niall Annett (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)
3 - Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf - Leinster)
4 - Michael Kearney (Clontarf - Leinster)
5 - Daniel Qualter (Buccaneers - Connacht)
6 - Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne - Leinster)
7 - Aaron Connelly (Galway Corinthians - Connacht)
8 - Eoin McKeon (Galwegians - Connacht)

Replacements -
16 - David Doyle (UCD - Leinster)
17 - Conor Carey (Ballymena - Ulster)
18 - Iain Henderson (Queens - Ulster)
19 - Dominic Gallagher (Dublin University - Ulster)

20 - Peter Du Toit (UCD - Leinster)
21 - Paddy Jackson (Dungannon - Ulster)
22 - Luke Marshall (Ballymena - Ulster)
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

What? Only one turnip >TM
plenty of westies though.
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

cjp wrote:Changes made to face the Saffies:

Ireland Under-20 Team to play South Africa Under-20:(IRB Junior World Championship, Treviso, Tuesday, 13th June, kick-off 20.10hrs local time/ 19.10hrs Irish time)

15 - Tiernan O’Halloran (Galwegians - Connacht)
14 - Andrew Conway (Blackrock - Leinster)
13 - Brendan Macken (Blackrock - Leinster)
12 - JJ Hanrahan (UL Bohemians- Munster)
11 - Craig Gilroy (Dungannon - Ulster)
10 - James McKinney (Queens - Ulster)
- Kieran Marmion (UWIC - Exile)
1 - James Tracy (UCD - Leinster)
2 - Niall Annett (Belfast Harlequins - Ulster)
3 - Tadhg Furlong (Clontarf - Leinster)
4 - Michael Kearney (Clontarf - Leinster)
5 - Daniel Qualter (Buccaneers - Connacht)
6 - Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne - Leinster)
7 - Aaron Connelly (Galway Corinthians - Connacht)
8 - Eoin McKeon (Galwegians - Connacht)

Replacements -
16 - David Doyle (UCD - Leinster)
17 - Conor Carey (Ballymena - Ulster)
18 - Iain Henderson (Queens - Ulster)
19 - Dominic Gallagher (Dublin University - Ulster)

20 - Peter Du Toit (UCD - Leinster)
21 - Paddy Jackson (Dungannon - Ulster)
22 - Luke Marshall (Ballymena - Ulster)
As good as Hanrahan is meant to be it seems a bit bizarre to drop one of the team's best two players for a must win game.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Never seen him play Harold, maybe he offers some kinda of greater physical presence in the middle of the park though, the South Africans look HUGE!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Having spent time in preperation for the England game with the senior Ireland coaches I was more than dissappointed with set piece and defence in particular. The whole defensive line collectively backed off the attack just allowing the English to gain ground and at pace become harder to take down on the first up tackle. Makes me fear for the the senior side in the RWC?

Was dissapointed with the kicking of young PJ. After watching a basically flawless performance at the Munster/Connacht v Ulster/Leinster I was convinced we had our next great 10. A bit like Rooster the jury is now out.

For the build up of the backline we failed to show up just like our tight 8. I am a big Gilroy fan but other than a few glimpses of brillience he like Luke had a quiet game.

Hoping for a better show tomorrow night but it is a tuff ask!
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

SparkyClarky wrote:Having spent time in preperation for the England game with the senior Ireland coaches I was more than dissappointed with set piece and defence in particular. The whole defensive line collectively backed off the attack just allowing the English to gain ground and at pace become harder to take down on the first up tackle. Makes me fear for the the senior side in the RWC?

Was dissapointed with the kicking of young PJ. After watching a basically flawless performance at the Munster/Connacht v Ulster/Leinster I was convinced we had our next great 10. A bit like Rooster the jury is now out.

For the build up of the backline we failed to show up just like our tight 8. I am a big Gilroy fan but other than a few glimpses of brillience he like Luke had a quiet game.

Hoping for a better show tomorrow night but it is a tuff ask!
You're a bit harsh on both Gilroy and Marshall, anyway it's hard for a backline to fire without quick ball.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

I thought the 9 looked fairly weak in the last game certainly with his passing so surprised to see him retained.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Every player in the squad has to start at least 1 game I think
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

England 39 Scotland 18

New Zealand 92 Wales 0
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Rooster wrote:
bootlaced wrote:Ok so McKinney can play a good kicking game, Ireland with a 1 score lead and the coaches decide to play ball in their own half, not a very bright move, I would have expected hoofing the ball as far as they could up the pitch, knock it on kick it out anything to waste time and keep the English on their own patch of turf.

Well rooster me old cox,maybe you can pass your expectations onto the coaches.
A good 10 needs to be a cocky wee fecker who chucks the rule book out the window and plays what is in front of him, uses his brain and takes responsibility for himself, that's how Sexton has got to where he is today and that is why ihumph plays a far better game than NOC did, to be honest I don't think we have a good 10 in the pipeline at all, perhaps Luke Marshall is a better bet ?[/quote]

At the youth level,you do what the coach tells you,if you think for one moment that you are going to ignore the coach's instruction at this level,then imho you are'nt going to to get very far,I suppose it would be the same saying to a player I know you are a midfield player but I want you to play 10,do you think that player is going to say no I'm a cocky wee focker and I'll slip into 12 when I can get the chance.Likewise look at Gilroy in this tournament,you would'nt really rate him ,but us in Ulster know different.

Would that be chucking the rule book out or maybe law book out, :wink:

Somehow rooster you appear to have slipped down the reasonable posters scale,not that,that would worry you too much,but then I don't mind as I seek the ignore button,as an old farmer said to me I would rather have bullshit that chickenshit. :cheers:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Ireland overpowered 42-26 by SA.

Ireland outside backs looked pretty good with Conway in particular standing out but Ireland struggled to generate quick ball and allow them to do something.

McKinney nothing special. Missed a pretty easy kick, was lucky with another place kick coming in off the post and missed several touch finders, at least one of which led to a SA try.

Irish lineout was a disaster zone again.

Thought the replacement scrum half, Du Toit, was much better than Marmion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackson looked better than McKinney tonight
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

N'oC problem is he is a two trick pony --kick long or pass it.

At any level in the professional game you play to plan A until told otherwise the only time an outhalf should play what is in front of him is when he is in trouble. Sexton will play what is called by his centres or what he has already told them will be played very little is ad libed.

Kidney like E O'S brfore him plays a game which is controlled by the outhalf an outhalf who "plays what is in front of him" is not controlling a game. it is an oxymoron.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The difference between SA and Ireland was that inside 22 SA could power up and finish an opportunity Ireland tried to shimmy their way across the line that said the two players who made the difference for SA were Ventner and their No8 Botha Ireland just didn't have anyone with their drive or power.

considering SA put 33 points past Scotland with out reply and their last try was on the final whistle against Ireland it can't be descriped as a bad Irish performance.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist