If you were coach for a day...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Re: If you were coach for a day...

Post by darkside lightside »

handling skills and continuity. the rest is just detail.

(should be meat and drink for McL - need to see some sharp improvements this year)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

darkside lightside wrote:handling skills and continuity. the rest is just detail.

(should be meat and drink for McL - need to see some sharp improvements this year)
Yeah, I read that Joe Schmidt at Leinster just concentrates on 3 things: passing, going into contact and the breakdown.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Mike bar tackling and defensive lines what else is there? At leinster the defence has played exactly the same way for at least five years. Kicking ? At leinster that's left to Sexton and if you have to be coached to kick -- then serious questions should be asked of those who signed the player up. Kickers normally coach/ practice seperately from the team --- but it does require constant practice.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Yeah, in the ML SF against Leinster, Ulster could have played all night and still wouldn't have scored as Leinster read all of Ulster's moves like a book. A neat pass and putting a player into space is one thing, but Ulster don't seem to be great at winning the contact then offloading to trailing players.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mikerob wrote:Yeah, in the ML SF against Leinster, Ulster could have played all night and still wouldn't have scored as Leinster read all of Ulster's moves like a book. A neat pass and putting a player into space is one thing, but Ulster don't seem to be great at winning the contact then offloading to trailing players.
The one player who trys to offload in contact is P3 and half those on here just give off about him being too upright in contact, perhaps the problem is his following players are not close enough to receive the ball and keep the thing on the move
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:perhaps the problem is his following players are not close enough to receive the ball and keep the thing on the move
:thumleft:
No point offloading to thin air.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
Rooster wrote:perhaps the problem is his following players are not close enough to receive the ball and keep the thing on the move
:thumleft:
No point offloading to thin air.
:D correct BR, now I would suggest P3 is actually a year ahead of the rest of the squad and if they catch up this year and follow his example of staying upright and turning twoards the following receiver we could actually make far more use of the go forward attacks he makes, if they can get P3 going into contact and offloading to a newly rebuilt 1F who continues on and then offloads to Afoa or Court that soaks up a hell of a lot of the opposition and leaves gaps for the backs to finish them off.
Well it works on computer screen and my head anyway.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

I agree about the Offloading. Theres times that we look so potent and then about a minute later its a pick and go fest gaining little or no ground, and eventually we give away a penalty.

Lads, why is Pedrie called P3?
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

because in bok speak drie actually translates as 3

bit like calling essex S6
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

dont listen to any of the clowns who will try and tell you its a play on 1F in Ferris - ie 3 Ns in wannenberg - P 3Ns
they are goons, they are wrong, they're clowns, and they're erroneous.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Thanks lads. I hope for a better season for him this year anyway, blows hot and cold imo.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Why show key moments .

Show them how scoring opportunties are lost-- show them how possession is lost. Get the backs to practice running straight lines instead of diagonally across the pitch very few backs can actually run round their opposite number or the player marking him unless he is a front row forward run at him draw him and pass make them watch BoD and the timing of his pass .

Ulsters problem last year --was Pienaar has a long pass which of course provides time and space for his out half but players start to run across the pitch failing to recognise the backline movement started nearly in the centre of the pitch thus when the ball got to wings they were on the touch line.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist