The Tigers are coming!

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

BeeJay
Novice

The Tigers are coming!

Post by BeeJay »

Hello Ulster,

It is time 11th January 2004 was avenged!

Just kidding ... I wasn't at that match, in fact it's over 20 years since I was last in Belfast. The flights and accommodation are booked for the weekend of 13-15 January. We're staying at Madison's on Botanic Avenue - the online reviews look OK but can any of you give an update? What's the Moghul restaurant like? I've been getting mixed reports about the place.

I'm really looking forward to my first visit to Ravenhill and can't wait to chew the fat with the locals and to see if DavidsbrotherIan has got any better since we sent him back across the water. :wink:
Rule 1 - if you let it bounce, you've only yourself to blame.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Tigers are coming!

Post by Snipe Watson »

Welcome BeeJay :thumleft:

He's better than David ever was and tackles like a mule......changed times :D :D :D
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Welcome Tigger ! Madisons Hotel a sort of 30 to 40 something knocking shop for the more cultured belfast slapper lol.
As opposed to Benedicts which is slightly more "earthy" or dare I say downmarket.
Lots of Indian restaurants on the Lisburn road not far from your digs. No report on the Moghul im afraid as I thought it was a carry out for kebabs etc. Young Humph goin well with Ruan beside him - tricky combination. Hope you enjoy your away weekend-
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

We are happy to repeat the 33 nil result if you are. You are very welcome and I hope that your arrangements work out well and that you enjoy your stay regardless of the result. :D

And I like Madison's by the way. :thumright:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BeeJay
This is the place to eat if you want a good Indian.
http://www.thejharna.com/
BeeJay
Novice

Post by BeeJay »

Snipe Watson wrote:BeeJay
This is the place to eat if you want a good Indian.
http://www.thejharna.com/
Thanks for the tip, mate. It certainly looks good and it's only a 10 minute walk from our hotel.
Rule 1 - if you let it bounce, you've only yourself to blame.
TigerKen
Novice

Post by TigerKen »

All booked this morning with Flybe 11-13 January and staying at Dukes at Queens £60 per night B&B for 2. So where to go to meet up with some Ulster fans before and after the game?
Also any good pubs or Thai restaruants in the area?
Tiger Ken
Only Winners Win!
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

TigerKen wrote:All booked this morning with Flybe 11-13 January and staying at Dukes at Queens £60 per night B&B for 2. So where to go to meet up with some Ulster fans before and after the game?
Looks good Ken .. a wee bit outside the city centre but not too far, and close to the club scene on Belfasts Golden Mile

Some of the local guys will point you in the direction of pubs and a decent Thai restaurant .. I'm sure

:red: :red: :red:
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

TigerKen wrote:All booked this morning with Flybe 11-13 January and staying at Dukes at Queens £60 per night B&B for 2. So where to go to meet up with some Ulster fans before and after the game?
An easy 5min walk from Dukes and one i would recommend:

http://www.botreethai.com/

GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
TigerKen
Novice

Post by TigerKen »

Many thanks
Tiger Ken
Only Winners Win!
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Ken, you're only a few steps away from the All Seasons restaurant on Botanic Avenue - the best Chinese in Belfast - see tripadvisor.
Cheers.
Bo***cks to Brexit
ulsterfryer
Novice

Post by ulsterfryer »

It may be a bit of a stereotyped cliche these days, but as an Ulsterman who's been exiled Yorkshire for many a year, I find Belfast's Curry houses to be okay but nothing spectacular. The good ones are good but are expensive.
IMO, I can get a great curry in Bradford or Leeds (as you can in Leicester), but struggle to find a good Chinese restaurant in Yorkshire, while Belfast has a good few worth checking out.
It's worth checking out the likes of Maccau (busy cafe style with BYOB but brilliant food) on the way upto Ravenhill, Four Seasons has also been mentioned and also, and at the trendier end of the Pan-Asian spectrum there's Zen behind the City Hall which is a good call, but there are a lot more.
If it has to be curry, you will definitely get a decent curry in Belfast at the top end (see above reccomendations), but, if it was me, I'd plump for one of the great Chinese restaurants about.
For decent bistro restaurants near - Deanes Bistro at the University. I enjoyed the Barking Dog last week, while Schu maintains a good standard. If you want to go a bit fancy dan and a bit more expensive, up to Michelin starred level, then there's the main Deanes and James St South (I thought it was okay, but others have raved about it), both in town centre.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Check the resturant review thread nearer the time of your visit.

If you're around the Ravenhill area early enough you might find a few rugby bods in the Pavillion or maybe the Errigal, but the main drinking will be done in the beer tent which is normally open a couple of hours before kickoff.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Crikey !! Chinese? Currys? Thai? By the balls of St Christopher, 'tis no wonder the old empire fell apart.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Crikey !! Chinese? Currys? Thai? By the balls of St Christopher, 'tis no wonder the old empire fell apart.
Too right old baggy drawers
Breakfast = Ulster fry
Dinner = Steak, spuds, onions, peas, mushroowns and gravy or pepper sauce if being posh, (alternative of bacon, cabbage and spuds with big knob of butter)followed by big bowl of custard and apple pie and mug of tea
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best