Another announcement coming very soon from Ulster Rugby ....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Another announcement coming very soon from Ulster Rugby

Post by rocky »

An excellent decision. He is a great player, a great captain and a modest man. Although I don't subscribe to his faith, I have nothing but respect and admiration for him. (No money has changed hands, by the way).
Cheers,
Rocky.
Bo***cks to Brexit
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

a ridiculous decision
it is still not understood what his RWC involvement will be. he could still be there.

and it should be an ulsterman

we could potentially be without out first choice 1-6, scrum half, 12, and both wingers...

I would make wannenberg skipper
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

lovesthehardground wrote:Going to pour cold water on this. I for one would prefer to see an Ulster-born player as captain. I am not knocking Johann in any way. He is a natural leader but as he says himself the captain just runs out in front of the team. There is still a place for the other leaders on the pitch. I think we could have continued with Rory as captain and Johann as one of these "other leaders".
Well for a start he is likely to run out on the pitch more times than Rory this season.
he is one of the first names on a teamsheet as long as he is fit, how many other players are in same position ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Rooster wrote:
lovesthehardground wrote:Going to pour cold water on this. I for one would prefer to see an Ulster-born player as captain. I am not knocking Johann in any way. He is a natural leader but as he says himself the captain just runs out in front of the team. There is still a place for the other leaders on the pitch. I think we could have continued with Rory as captain and Johann as one of these "other leaders".
Well for a start he is likely to run out on the pitch more times than Rory this season.
he is one of the first names on a teamsheet as long as he is fit, how many other players are in same position ?[/quote]

Not disagreeing with you there unfortunately. No problem with him filling in when Rory's away. Or is this UR giving an indication that Rory's place in doubt?

BTW can't subscribe to other posts saying that this will give Rory a chance "to concentrate on his darts". I would have thought he should have been doing this already??!!
LTHG
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote: ...............
and it should be an ulsterman

I would make wannenberg skipper
:scratch: :scratch:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

why do you call yourself ardglass if your location is belfast?

ardglass has a lot good about it - golf course is excellent, and the road out is smooth
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

lovesthehardground wrote:
Rooster wrote:
he is one of the first names on a teamsheet as long as he is fit, how many other players are in same position ?[/quote]

Not disagreeing with you there unfortunately. No problem with him filling in when Rory's away. Or is this UR giving an indication that Rory's place in doubt?

BTW can't subscribe to other posts saying that this will give Rory a chance "to concentrate on his darts". I would have thought he should have been doing this already??!!
But if he is filling in for Rory more times than Rory is actually there then it makes logical sense that he is made captain, makes no sense what so ever to have a captain who will miss more matches than he will play in, remember also that even when Rory does play he may have missed that weeks training due to a Deccy camp. Nice to think we have a Ulster born and bred captain but then again some people think we should only have Ulster born and bred players as well, time a lot of people came out of the dark ages and realised it is a professional game now.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:why do you call yourself ardglass if your location is belfast?

ardglass has a lot good about it - golf course is excellent, and the road out is smooth
Maybe I have strong connections to the place :scratch:

Doesn't answer the Wannenberg comment
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Much more interested in who is meant to be coaching our scrum next season?
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

notj wrote:Much more interested in who is meant to be coaching our scrum next season?
I read somewhere (Bel Tel maybe) that this will also be incorporated into Muller's role.

EDIT: I think it said forwards coaching rather than scrums specifically.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

BTW can't subscribe to other posts saying that this will give Rory a chance "to concentrate on his darts". I would have thought he should have been doing this already??!![/quote]
But if he is filling in for Rory more times than Rory is actually there then it makes logical sense that he is made captain, makes no sense what so ever to have a captain who will miss more matches than he will play in, remember also that even when Rory does play he may have missed that weeks training due to a Deccy camp. Nice to think we have a Ulster born and bred captain but then again some people think we should only have Ulster born and bred players as well, time a lot of people came out of the dark ages and realised it is a professional game now.[/quote]

There's a lot of people that have left the dark ages. Just look at how many Neanderthals post on this forum!! :lol:
LTHG
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

My good friend, Hardyin', you needn't have worried about the cold water, it seems to have steamed off in the heat of others enthusiasm, mine included. Like the water off my budgie smugglers in the Spanish sunshine in fact. :lol: I think the Ulster public never mind the team knew who the real leader was last season and if it hurts Rory's pride a tad, he will have to suck it up and get on with his own game. As we know RB is likely to be missing for much more time than Johann and it makes very good sense. Nationality doesn't come into it but the fact that Muller has completely bought into what UR are trying to do and has put himself about over and above what his contract would have required makes him an ideal candidate.

Good decision.

Now I simply await confirmation of what Ruan appeared to indicate some weeks back that he has also extended his contract. That would be even more momentous.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Ardglass2 wrote: Doesn't answer the Wannenberg comment
smoke, mirrors, and mis-information.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

I see now - another post of pointless drivel from yourself..........got yer :roll:
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

shamalicious wrote:
notj wrote:Much more interested in who is meant to be coaching our scrum next season?
I read somewhere (Bel Tel maybe) that this will also be incorporated into Muller's role.

EDIT: I think it said forwards coaching rather than scrums specifically.
Heard talk at the start of July that UR were looking to recruit a well renowned scrummaging coach, though it was due to be on a part-time basis so as not to conflict with his other job. With no announcement however it would seem that this has not materialised for whatever reason.