Team v Neath

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Team v Neath

Post by BR »

Ardglass2 wrote:
Gael wrote:And another timbering will ensue.
Don't think so.
We should win this with that team
I wish I were so confident. If we assume Neath are taking this game seriously (and I haven't seen a team, even if I was aware of the form at that level of Welsh rugby) - beating them would be a major step forward for what is effectively the Ravens team after an inability to hack it at that level last season. If we can truely get our 2nd string competing at principality/english 2nd division level, it would cross-off one of my major concerns regarding squad depth.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Some achievement for Farrel and Nelson to get selected for Ulster just 2 months after leaving school. Lets hope they step up tonight.

Farrel was part of the Irish U18 schools side who where crowned European champions and was one of their better performers.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

One of my interests will be what is Callum Black up to if he gets some time. Given where he was before joining he may have expected something better than splinters in his Brennan for the dirt trackers.

Ulster & Ireland could do with a prop or seven emerging as the current crop with one or two exceptions are either too old, too old & crap or simply crap.

The Enemy:

Neath’s preparations for the 2011/12 campaign pick up speed on Friday with a home pre-season friendly against mighty Ulster at The Gnoll (7.15pm).

The fixture follows Neath’s impressive win in Belfast against Ulster ‘A’ in last season’s British & Irish Cup and the Ulstermen, intent on revenge, will be paying their first visit to The Gnoll since 2002 when Neath were a professional club in their own right.

The Neath players - put through their paces for the last two months by the coaching team of Patrick Horgan, Richard Webster and Marc Jones – are looking fit and fresh.

Head Coach Horgan said, “Ulster will be a very tough challenge for us in our first action of the season but we continually set high standards at The Gnoll and prefer to test ourselves against the best at a higher level.

“Ulster have named a strong side full of proven Celtic League players whereas we will be introducing some of our new recruits and it will be interesting to see how we match up.”

Neath will again be led by flanker Gareth Gravell this season and Horgan praised the inspirational back row forward’s re-election saying, “Gareth Gravell sets high personal standards and is a tremendous example. He commands huge respect from both his team-mates and opponents alike and is a real leader of men who shirks nothing.”

Also included in the Welsh All Blacks’ probable starting line-up is former Wales international Nathan Brew who returns to The Gnoll after trying his luck with the Dragons last year.

Another ex-Dragon, Ammanford-reared winger Jamie Davies and No.8 Stefan Jones, formerly of Maesteg and Swansea, will make their bows. Hooker Ashleigh James starts after missing most of last season through knee surgery and Gareth McCarthy resumes at centre while Chris Morgans, a star find on the wing last season, takes over the scrum-half role as Tom James is absent.

Neath v Ulster (Home) PROBABLE

A.Bramwell; K.James, N.Brew, G.McCarthy, J.Davies; J.Thomas/D.Langdon, C.Morgans; N.Downs, A.James, J.Reeves; A.Powell, M.Collins; From G.Gravell (captain), L.Evans, S.Jones, A.Whitney
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

BR wrote:
Ardglass2 wrote:
Don't think so.
We should win this with that team
I wish I were so confident. If we assume Neath are taking this game seriously (and I haven't seen a team, even if I was aware of the form at that level of Welsh rugby) - beating them would be a major step forward for what is effectively the Ravens team after an inability to hack it at that level last season. If we can truely get our 2nd string competing at principality/english 2nd division level, it would cross-off one of my major concerns regarding squad depth.
Yeah, there were comments from some that the Ravens "should win" before a number of the B&I Cup games last season and the Ravens ended up getting hammered. Having watched a couple of the games my observation was that the Ravens, unlike the opposition, weren't a team. The Ravens were just a collection of individuals thrown together for the game. There was no continuity in selection with key combinations and substitutions were done by the clock. I've no doubt that there were talented individuals on the Ravens but they couldn't perform effectively against teams who had been training and playing together as a unit.

I certainly hope Ulster win tonight and the youngsters shine but if Neath have been more focussed on bringing together their principality team, I wouldn't be surprised if a better overall team performance means that Neath wins.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Head Coach Horgan wrote: Ulster have named a strong side full of proven Celtic League players

Aye, right!

:roll:
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

cjp wrote:
How? They are the equivalent of the Ravens, so giving some of the younger lads a run and getting a chance to see if they are anywhere near ready will do no harm. The first choice pack has some experienced heads in it and that backline with good ball would be very dangerous.
I'd say they are a step or 2 above the Ravens as the Ravens seem to get ploughed all the time in that British and Irish Cup. Hopefully you're right though.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I think Mikerob has it right

You get the impression the Ravens team meets up at even ing time on the week of the game to learn the lineouts and get to know each other!!!

Certanly a pretty large of number of the Ravens players have stepped up to the mark in the Celtic league
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Anyone going to the game and could give score updates?
The FRU
Squire

Post by The FRU »

We should have live text from 7:15 if everything works OK. http://thefrontrowunion.com
Save the Cheerleader, Save Hollywood Mike!

http://thefrontrowunion.com
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The FRU wrote:We should have live text from 7:15 if everything works OK. http://thefrontrowunion.com
If that fails Ulster Rugby hope to have updates on their Facebook page.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

John Burns scores opening try of the game after a great break by young Chris Farrell. 8-0 after 6mins

Ulster rugby with live updates on facebook.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
The FRU
Squire

Post by The FRU »

Rooster wrote:
The FRU wrote:We should have live text from 7:15 if everything works OK. http://thefrontrowunion.com
If that fails Ulster Rugby hope to have updates on their Facebook page.
Yeah but we're quicker! :D
Save the Cheerleader, Save Hollywood Mike!

http://thefrontrowunion.com
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

HT score 3 - 20 - Diack Try
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Not again!!!!