Ulster - Glasgow

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

OneMore
Warrior Chief

Re: Ulster - Glasgow

Post by OneMore »

Rooster wrote:
Ian Whitten finds himself out of his regular position in the centre as he occupies the left wing berth for the first time.
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:
Ulster (15-9): A D'Arcy; C Gilroy, D Cave, N Spence, I Whitten; I Humphreys, P Marshall; (1-8) P McAllister, A Kyriacou, J Cronin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, P Wannenburg, W Faloon, C Henry (capt).
Replacements: N Brady, C Carey, A Macklin, N McComb, R Diack, I Porter, P Jackson, P Nelson.
Wow. Before reading the detail I had assumed it'd be Spence getting shunted out. This should be interesting in the least. Looks like that might put him up against Seymour.

Really don't know what to make of that. Time will tell I guess, roll on Friday.

OM
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

I also wonder if Luke Marshall is out of favour?
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

It is difficult to see what the benefit to the team is of having Whitten on the wing?? Surely he goes to 12 and Spence to 14?? :scratch: :scratch:
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

SparkyClarky wrote:I also wonder if Luke Marshall is out of favour?
Let the conspiracy theories begin!
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I don't think Luke Marshall is out of favour at all, just a lot of competition.

With five top class centres in our squad, one of them needs to be tried on the wing. A lot of our backline moves involve our wing running a hard line into midfield. It's an unusual move but worth a try.

Would not try it away from home or in Europe.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Going for experience it would seem. Pretty strong team all things considered though you'd wonder why Luke Marshall and Gaston were overlooked. Is that Carey the prop who was absolutely pumelled during the Junior World Cup?
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Suspect that the option of switching Spence & Whitten is largely in coahes mind if the trial is not working out. The more versatility in the squad the better. This look very like a case of suck stand see. Besides I suspect that Glasgow are not the strongest side in the league so a good time to experiment.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Suspect that the option of switching Spence & Whitten is largely in coahes mind if the trial is not working out. The more versatility in the squad the better. This look very like a case of suck stand see. Besides I suspect that Glasgow are not the strongest side in the league so a good time to experiment.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Ulster - Glasgow

Post by Windeos »

BBC website is saying Gaston is injured hence Whitten playing on the wing.

Personally I'd play Spence on the wing and Marshall at 12.
Last edited by Windeos on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

notj wrote:I don't think Luke Marshall is out of favour at all, just a lot of competition.

With five top class centres in our squad, one of them needs to be tried on the wing. A lot of our backline moves involve our wing running a hard line into midfield. It's an unusual move but worth a try.

Would not try it away from home or in Europe.
I understand the logic. Would have just thought playing the fastest centre, and the one with most experience on the wing, that being Nevin Spence, on the wing, would make more sense than asking Ian Whitten to play out there. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I can't say I've seen too much to make me thing Whitten is winger material.

Are Fitzpatrick and Black both injured?
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

No me neither, but I'd rather have him than break up the centre partnership thats developing. Those two are building a partnership; best not to tinker with it.
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

McL is showing committment to a Spence/Cave midfield and doesn't want to keep changing it, so Whitten will have to fit in as cover for injury. He is probably playing left wing to nullify Seymore's physicality so it looks a defensive pick. For his sake I hope he makes a good impression there as he may not get too many opportunities this season.
The future isn't what it used to be
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Strange choices to say the least. I'm all for trying things out but maybe as an option from the bench once the win(+ BP) has been achieved. Its very important that we hit the ground running this year and I would question taking risks with positional changes in the first league game.

Again where is Black & Fitzpatrick? And Barker for that matter/ Are these players injured or just being rested?
LTHG
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Nightsoil wrote:
Are Fitzpatrick and Black both injured?
I was wondering that as well :scratch:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

Looking forward to seeing young Nelson in his competitive debut - wonder how much time he'll get?
The future isn't what it used to be