Ulster Snr League

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster Snr League

Post by cjp »

All teams are missing their Under 20 players at present which would include Rainey, Banbridge and Armagh.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

They struggled badly last season but this season appears shocking they were beaten by Lisburn in pre season as well, I am sure Tweed hasn't helped the situation. I was surprised Armagh got such a duffing yesterday. It is hard to read much into the USL as alot of clubs didn't play any pre season games going into it and are using this as pre season in the build up to AIL.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Armagh were quite competitive with no more than a score in it up to the last 15. They had their chances but then brought on a load of young fellas who refused to tackle. I took all the Inst attack pictures in the last 15 up until then Armagh were hammering away but as always if you fail to cross the line trouble is never too far away. The pictures of Inst players breaking through attempted tackles tells the tale.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Totally agree YM some changes need made for it to become more competitive and worthwhile. Whilst Lisburn are looking in better shape than last year (although when some boys return to Uni things may change) no Senior League team should be losing to a Q2 team in pre season.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

YoungMan wrote:
cjp wrote:They struggled badly last season but this season appears shocking they were beaten by Lisburn in pre season as well, I am sure Tweed hasn't helped the situation. I was surprised Armagh got such a duffing yesterday. It is hard to read much into the USL as alot of clubs didn't play any pre season games going into it and are using this as pre season in the build up to AIL.
UR really should make USL a more competitive competition, it really is a poor way for AIL teams, particularly Hinch Gannon, and Harlequins to prepare for AIL as the step up is much greater.It does not help teams winning by excess of 50 points nor does it help the weaker teams getting beat 50 odd, To be fair cjp Lisburn appear to be a much better team than they have been over the past few years.............

Completely agree. I was discussing this on Saturday with a couple of guys. This league is no practice for games against some of the big Leinster/Munster sides when the UBL starts.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

Snr Cup this weekend with a few byes teams playing are:

City of Derry v Belfast Harlequins
Got this wrong last week and went for a COD win, however i stick by my guns and if COD can last a bit longer and not blow up they will sneak this at home

Ballynahinch v Malone
Smart money is on the mighty Hinch, but without a good 10 Hinch will struggle all year. so could be closer than people at the fortress believe. to close to call and Malone are a good team in the making.

Armagh v Ards
Armagh to win but may be closer than league game.

Rainey OB v Dungannon
Loss for Rainey(again), Cup holders to win well.
Last edited by TheSnapper on Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Available for weddings May to August only
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Are you Fuzzy, are you Fuzzy, are you Fuzzy in disguise, are you Fu-zz-y in dis-guise
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Say what now?
Mary had a little lamb . . .
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Won't be at Rainey on Saturday but hope for a win and a good performance!
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Dungannon beat Rainey 53-0
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Correct outcomes Snapper, although Armagh and Hinch had comfortable wins.
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

cjp wrote:Correct outcomes Snapper, although Armagh and Hinch had comfortable wins.
Armagh ,game was close enough at the halfway mark i believe, and the players that stepped in to the firsts lifted their game and well done, i really fear for Ards but the guys who have caused this downward spiral at Ards , should have a long hard look at themselves.How many of last years players have left that club? and why?

Hinch: had a lot of players back in the fold and Malone were forced into a few changes both positional and new, but Hinch were always going to win, Still believe Hinch will struggle without a real 10.But at the Fortress Hinch will always be a force.

Quins: never going to beat COD at home.Quins pack bullied of the park and McCarter converting a great touchline kick at the end,(surprised Hinch never made a bigger offer to him than first offered or i reckon 10 problem would have been sorted.)

Rainey another defeat against a well organised Dungannon, great things happening in the Red Hand County, Rainey pack really ageing and from reports last half hour they were blowing out their bottoms with Dungannon scoring from anywhere at will in the last half hour.
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

Wednesday 14th September: Will be some strange results and will test the teams who played on Saturday, with the prospect of playing again next Saturday. UR do not expect professional players to play three games a week but expect amateurs to do so,very strange or shows UR do not value the Ulster Snr League.

Malone vs Instonians
Inst did not play on Saturday and Malone don`t have the strength in depth.However Malone may sneak this as they would appear to be a bit better organised.

City of Derry vs Dungannon
Depends on how many injuries COD got and if they have the belief they can win.Dungannon on the roll and would appear to be breeding some exciting youngsters.Hard fought game but Dungannon to come away with the points.

Queens University vs Belfast Harlequins
Queens have had a rest or spent the weekend in the Bot drinking WKD, Quins to bully the students off the Dub and get a good win.

Armagh vs Ballymena RFC
Braidmen to win but no bonus point

Rainey Old Boys vs Banbridge
Hard one to call, but only because Rainey took such a spanking on Saturday i will go with Banbridge.another Rainey defeat!

Ards vs Ballynahinch
Mighty Hinch to take a mixture of players and get a win, if the Evergreens went to Ards they would even win this one.
Last edited by TheSnapper on Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

I think Derry could put one over us. They have been a bogey team recently so it will be a hard match. Malone should win at Inst. Hinch will hammer Ards. Ballymena win but won't find it easy, Quins to win at The Dub. Rainey to upset Banbridge.
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

gannonman wrote:I think Derry could put one over us. They have been a bogey team recently so it will be a hard match. Malone should win at Inst. Hinch will hammer Ards. Ballymena win but won't find it easy, Quins to win at The Dub. Rainey to upset Banbridge.
Interesting perspective from a Gannonman,Rainey must have impressed you yesterday,Do COD have the strength in depth?Gannonman were did your youngsters come from? they appear to be proving worthwhile with so many to come back into your squad things are looking dam good, No?