Ulster and the Missionary Position

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

namron
Warrior Chief

Ulster and the Missionary Position

Post by namron »

It is a well known fact that a lot of Ulster players are Christians and have on occasion espoused their faith around the very many gospel halls,temples and churches which thrive in our wee province. Very recently Pastor McConnell and his Flock have hired Ravenhill for a Christian Rally at which some Ulster players witnessed and was by all `accounts` a great success for the Metropolitan Tabernacle.
Now it has come to pass that the CEO Mr Logan is hosting an Alpha course in the stadium.
What I am pondering at the moment is that given this level of support for the reformed or `born again` evangelical side of Christianity are Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox , Muslims, Bahai or indeed Gnostics and Atheists being overlooked.
Should Ulster Rugby be an equal opportunity converter or should the King James Bible be thumped at every opportunity ?
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Alister Scott
Steward

Re: Ulster and the Missionary Position

Post by Alister Scott »

namron wrote:What I am pondering at the moment is that given this level of support for the reformed or `born again` evangelical side of Christianity are Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox , Muslims, Bahai or indeed Gnostics and Atheists being overlooked.
Should Ulster Rugby be an equal opportunity converter or should the King James Bible be thumped at every opportunity ?
As far as I know, RCs, Greek Orthodox, Muslims, Bahai, Gnostics (and agnostics) and athiests would all be welcome. Not sure why the KJV being thumped is being thrown into the equation, - I would doubt if too many Alpha courses would even consider using it, probably preferring to use a more modern translation.

Perhaps the poster simply wants to indulge in some Bible bashing of a different form?
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

We're all entitled to our own opinions and beliefs. However, I wouldn't be comfortable with UR becoming a vehicle for promoting one religion over another (or none) as that would just be biased. I've no probs with an organisation hiring Ravenhill for a concert/talk etc, but where is this leading to?? A ban on alcohol, sunday matches and cheerleaders?
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Alister Scott wrote:
namron wrote:What I am pondering at the moment is that given this level of support for the reformed or `born again` evangelical side of Christianity are Roman Catholics, Greek Orthodox , Muslims, Bahai or indeed Gnostics and Atheists being overlooked.
As far as I know, RCs, Greek Orthodox, Muslims, Bahai, Gnostics (and agnostics) and athiests would all be welcome. Not sure why the KJV being thumped is being thrown into the equation, - I would doubt if too many Alpha courses would even consider using it, probably preferring to use a more modern translation.

The Alpha course was designed by a certain Mr Gumbel whose own book not the Bible is used. This has been noticed especially by the Free Presbyterians and I quote

Now the main text behind the Alpha Course is the book Questions of Life which is attributed to Nicky Gumbel. The book carries his copyright. The man, therefore, whose teaching lies at the heart of the Alpha course not only belongs to a denomination which has tolerated error; but to a local congregation of that denomination which was responsible for the inception into this country of the Toronto Blessing, which is another great evil and error. Nicky Gumbel may be a very intelligent man, that we do not dispute, but he is obviously a man who can embrace doctrinal error.

Perhaps the poster simply wants to indulge in some Bible bashing of a different form?

Indeed not,it is a very worthwhile read in context and those who wish to believe everything in it are perfectly within their rights to do so.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Jockster wrote:We're all entitled to our own opinions and beliefs. However, I wouldn't be comfortable with UR becoming a vehicle for promoting one religion over another (or none) as that would just be biased. I've no probs with an organisation hiring Ravenhill for a concert/talk etc, but where is this leading to?? A ban on alcohol, sunday matches and cheerleaders?
I can still remember the Good Doctor protesting outside the Ravenhill gates on the Tigers annihilation Sunday Jockster and yes I share your concerns :salut:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

So what exactly is your point Norm? Other than another cheap shot and a childish thread title that is.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Whats your point? I thought it both humorous and insightful .
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Snipe Watson wrote:So what exactly is your point Norm? Other than another cheap shot and a childish thread title that is.
Snipe--Norm can stand up for himself but as far as I'm aware this is just a post for debate about an UR event--unless you think there is an ulterior motive?

We don't need the christian mafia slashing our tyres in the car park :stir:

Childish??? For goodness sake!! That's what makes this forum enjoyable most of the time :lol:
Last edited by Jockster on Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I wasn't making a point, I was asking a question.

It would probably be humorous to a 12 year old who would also snigger his way through Biology class.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Different strokes for different folks Snipe.
If you read the text beneath the title therein lies the answer to your question. I feel a little anger from your post . Please tell me I havent upset you too much.(and if I have you dont have to read it again)
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Snipe Watson wrote:I wasn't making a point, I was asking a question.

It would probably be humorous to a 12 year old who would also snigger his way through Biology class.
And your question is? Who on this forum made you the thread police?

Are you offended by Namron's double entendre?
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

It would seem he is Jockster.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jockster wrote:...but where is this leading to?? A ban on alcohol, sunday matches and cheerleaders?
Worry not my friend, Jesus himself was a supplier of great quality wine, the sabbath was probably a Saturday (Friday night rugby is best) and cheerleaders are a cheap objectifying devaluation of women anyways!!!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jockster wrote:
as far as I'm aware this is just a post for debate about an UR event
No it would appear to be a Mount Merrion church event held in Ravenhill with the fit controller speaking
For more information, and to book tickets, contact Adrian Green 07914 290193 or email mountmerrionchurch@live.co.uk. You can also find the event on Facebook.
http://www.downanddromore.org/events/20 ... -Ravenhill
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

Now y'see the direction this thread has taken?

That's why I'd prefer people kept their doings with gods in their temples.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean