Ulster and the Missionary Position

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster and the Missionary Position

Post by Rooster »

“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Dave wrote:
Jockster wrote:...but where is this leading to?? A ban on alcohol, sunday matches and cheerleaders?
Worry not my friend, Jesus himself was a supplier of great quality wine, the sabbath was probably a Saturday (Friday night rugby is best) and cheerleaders are a cheap objectifying devaluation of women anyways!!!
Cheers Dave--I'm quite sure the big Man would be cool about most things.

I'm not sure that cheereladers are what you say--what's wrong with the girls (or guys if they'd wish) doing a wee dance before kick off if they enjoy it and people find it entertaining? The perves of this world will perve anyway regardless---I often think that the people that strongly object to the female form being on show are pervey themselves anyway.

FFS--Adam and Eve were nekkid originally!!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Jockster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I wasn't making a point, I was asking a question.

It would probably be humorous to a 12 year old who would also snigger his way through Biology class.
And your question is? Who on this forum made you the thread police?

Are you offended by Namron's double entendre?
As you have already pointed out
Snipe--Norm can stand up for himself
So why are you so worried?

My question was directed to Norm, not you, so if Norm want's clarification and because
Norm can stand up for himself
He will get it.

In case you are genuinely worried :roll: I'm not one bit offended.
Gooner gave it his best shot and failed and let's be honest, Norm is not in his league.
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Quite right Snipe..to an extent

I'm not defending Norm but I do think you've been quite rude with your last sentence--lets face it the guy only asked a legitimate question and opened it up for debate.

My sprogs learn about all religions at school--although there is an understandable slant towards Christianity. Until the people in this wee country realise that they and their beliefs (whatever they are) are not the only show in town the better and more civilised this place will be.

Remove your blinkers and realise there's a whole world of opinion out there--each will have it's own merits and faults---and unless someone is trying to put down or harm others then they are all legitimate.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Believe me, I have no blinkers on. There is a world of opinion out there and I've explored most of it in the last 40+ years. I've reached my own decisions and have my views, but I never shove them down anyone’s throat. If asked I express a view on religion, but otherwise I steer clear.
What really gets my goat is the puerile sniping (pardon the pun) at soft targets, religion being one of them. A genuine question is always welcome, but schoolboy humour is cheap and easy and it usually starts a 20 page argument that gets nowhere.
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

Snipe Watson wrote:Believe me, I have no blinkers on. There is a world of opinion out there and I've explored most of it in the last 40+ years. I've reached my own decisions and have my views, but I never shove them down anyone’s throat. If asked I express a view on religion, but otherwise I steer clear.
What really gets my goat is the puerile sniping (pardon the pun) at soft targets, religion being one of them. A genuine question is always welcome, but schoolboy humour is cheap and easy and it usually starts a 20 page argument that gets nowhere.

Good. Only another 18 pages to go then!!!! :banghead: :banghead:
LTHG
Alister Scott
Steward

Post by Alister Scott »

Dave wrote:
Jockster wrote:...but where is this leading to?? A ban on alcohol, sunday matches and cheerleaders?
Worry not my friend, Jesus himself was a supplier of great quality wine, the sabbath was probably a Saturday (Friday night rugby is best) and cheerleaders are a cheap objectifying devaluation of women anyways!!!
The Jewish Sabbath was the Saturday, but in that tradition, that wasn't midnight to midnight, but started at sundown on the Friday night and continued until sundown the following day - Friday night rugby under lights IS on the Jewish Sabbath
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Jockster wrote:
Dave wrote:
Cheers Dave--I'm quite sure the big Man would be cool about most things.

I'm not sure that cheereladers are what you say--what's wrong with the girls (or guys if they'd wish) doing a wee dance before kick off if they enjoy it and people find it entertaining? The perves of this world will perve anyway regardless---I often think that the people that strongly object to the female form being on show are pervey themselves anyway.

FFS--Adam and Eve were nekkid originally!!
I'm sorry to everyone for perpetuating this thread...

Jockster, I'm not sure where to start?

You say you often think that people who object to the female form on show, in my case cheerleaders at Ravers, are pervey themselves (must mean me then?). Trying not to be rude old chap, but maybe you should think a bit less often? Sorry that was cheap, I apologise. What you seem to have done is the classic switcheroo, by turning any insinuation that I wasn't making of being pervey back on me, nice. I think you should listen to someone's reasons as to why they might object to say cheerleaders for example rather than defying logic and labelling them as pervey. By just writing something that appears to be a dichotomy in sentence is not going make me or anyone who isn't a cat and is actually capable of reason going to think it to be true. Let me clarify, there is no correlation between objecting to cheerleaders and being a perve, it is only you (that I know of) who holds this view. Not to say that someone may think this way, however, there is no evidence to suggest that is some kind of norm.

I object to cheerleading as a father. I have a daughter and I object to anything that may lead to the objectification of women, which I believe cheerleading does. You are entitled to disagree of course. I don't believe that any individual watching cheerleaders at Ravers will then go out thinking they are entitled to commit a sexual assault. It is, however, the principle of not allowing women to be viewed as something to stare at for entertainment as lets face the Ulster Rockettes dancing is pretty crap. It is not about the dancing. I took my daughter to Ravenhill last season and wasn't really impressed with the leering and wayheying during the cheerleading and the atmosphere just felt to me, cheap and nasty.

Oh, by the way, the Genesis story is allegorical, there was no Adam and Eve. The universe is hundreds of millions of years old!!!!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

I think this thread is fairly representative of wider NI society at the moment.

Pretty much for the last 100 years there has been a conservative brand of Christianity preached, and it gained widespread popularity among the protestant/unionist/evangelical community.

Then as time has gone on, a small disaffected minority have grown to be a large disaffected grouping, who have turned their back on the church for one reason or another (fed up with the hypocrisy, resentful of being forced to go as children, unable to reconcile what they read for themselves with what is presented as "The Church", preferring secularism to the option that our warring society has presented for forty years). There comes then a backlash (sometimes quite aggressive), against the preaching and against the church - this has become comparable to the aggression with which the church has pushed its message to those who do not believe.

I believe (and hope) that sometime soon it will all settle down, and Christians will stop aggressively trying to make society more "moral", maybe they'll shift their focus from "ye must be born again"/"personal relationship with Jesus"/"accept Jesus as Lord and Saviour" (only one of these appears in the Bible btw, it appears once), to love God, and love your neighbour (the 2 greatest commands, according to Jesus), or what about sell everything you have and give it to the poor?

As well as this, I hope that the aggressive backlash will settle down too, and society will stop seeing Christians as an easy target for abuse. We deem acceptable things which we would not deem acceptable if they were said about Jews, Muslims, blacks, and perhaps homosexuals (though we have quite some distance to go in this area too).

Right, that's my tuppence worth.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Alister Scott wrote:
Dave wrote:
The Jewish Sabbath was the Saturday, but in that tradition, that wasn't midnight to midnight, but started at sundown on the Friday night and continued until sundown the following day - Friday night rugby under lights IS on the Jewish Sabbath
And Jesus was a Jew, wonder would he have gone to a match on a Friday evening ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Rooster wrote: And Jesus was a Jew, wonder would he have gone to a match on a Friday evening ?
I think you'll find Rooster, that standing up for the Ulsterman is clearly a commandment!!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

For the avoidance of any doubt - Cheerleaders are of course welcome this friday night regardless of whether or not they normally adopt the missionary position.
But were they there last week ? The Ulster rugby public has a rite 2 no.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:For the avoidance of any doubt - Cheerleaders are of course welcome this friday night regardless of whether or not they normally adopt the missionary position.
But were they there last week ? The Ulster rugby public has a rite 2 no.
The Ulster rugby public may have - but muppets who preferred to go and watch a football team embarrass themselves rather than go to Ravenhill, do NOT.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote: And Jesus was a Jew, wonder would he have gone to a match on a Friday evening ?
...depends on what type of Jew he was, probably. I used to work with a Jewish guy who adhered to "no work on the Sabbath" and he used to leave work on Friday in time to get back home before sunset - so he left earlier during the winter. I don't know if going to a sports event counts as "doing work", but driving was "doing work" so even if sports were ok, he would have to walk there. I work with another Jewish guy at the moment who isn't as orthodox and doesn't bother with the no work on Sabbath thing.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Mike - did yer Jewish mates ever happen to mention the Lewis Sisters - Michelle & Rachel who are Cheerleaders with the Houston Texans ? Mission Impossible for me i reckon!
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh