Ulster u20 vs Munster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Ulster u20 vs Munster

Post by darkside lightside »

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9668.php

I'm thinking of heading to this, hopefully rebound from the Connacht loss.. Looking forward to seeing nelson and farrell
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Aird
Squire

Re: Ulster u20 vs Munster

Post by Aird »

Pity in some ways that the Branch don't try playing some of these games as a curtain raiser to full Ulster games. can you imagine the boost this would give to the U 20's. I know this could cause some problems but during e Under 20's World cup they played back to back games at Ravenhill.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Aird wrote:Pity in some ways that the Branch don't try playing some of these games as a curtain raiser to full Ulster games. can you imagine the boost this would give to the U 20's. I know this could cause some problems but during e Under 20's World cup they played back to back games at Ravenhill.
Would be great to see Aird but suspect that in the heavy weather i.e. normal weather, there would probably be concerns for the pitch being churned up before the big games.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Anyone know how it went?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Don't know.

I do know that Connacht U20's have beaten Leinster U20's in Dublin!!!!!!!!
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Ulster won 17-9.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Maybe last weeks result wasn't as bad as it seemed!!
Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

Ulster 17 Munster 9

Tries: Farrell, Spence, McCall
Conversion: Nelson

Munster 3 penalties by Hanrahan

Olding was carried off after a long stoppage midway through the first half - Concussion apparently and hospital precautionary.

Munster kept infringing at the breakdown often in good positions or handling would let them down (especially Slater their 13). Their lineout was fairly dominant largely because Ulster's was a mess. However the Ulster scrum generally bested Munster, especially McCall over Scott. McCall is a pocket battleship who has a great scrum position, and is much better suited to being a prop than the oversized Munster loosehead.

Shane Buckley was particularly vocal on the pitch, although not words I could repeat, and looked every inch a Quinlan wannabee. He might have seen yellow for taking out Simpson in the air, but that penalty and two shortly afterwards saw the ubiquitous Munster hooker Rael sent to the bin for the cumulative effect as much as for his high challenge.

Despite being a man down, it was Munster who took the lead with a Hanrahan penalty from wide on the right. From the restart Farrell made a scything run through a bemused Munster defence but was stopped about 10m short only to find himself with the ball after a couple more phases and able to cross for Ulster's first try. Nelson missed the extras and the half ended 5-3.

Ulster came out meaning business in the second period, but again it was Munster took the lead through a Hanrahan penalty. Good midfield work by Farrell and Nelson released Andress for a ground eating run that set up a penalty in the Red 22. Spence took the responsibility of the quick tap that might have been influenced by Nelson's indifferent form with the boot and though he was thwarted he eventually stretched over the line following a couple more goalline phases. Nelson added the conversion.

McCall powered over for Ulster's third try from short range after the cultured boot of Hanrahan had slotted his third goal from wide left to leave the score 17-9. Despite being 8 points down with about 10 minutes to go Hanrahan unsuccessfully tried to reduce the deficit with a long range effort, that suggested they didn't fancy their chances from the touchline.

Farrell was my MOTM as he showed a subtlety in his game beyond just a big man running straight.
The future isn't what it used to be
playingadvantage
Novice

Post by playingadvantage »

Thought the Ulster line outs were very poor and we could have done with more physicality at the breakdown. Seemed to me and others near me that the damage to the Munster scrum was being caused mainly by Harrison on the loose head side.
Couldn't understand why Nelson was playing 12 and Farrell 13 although to be fair Farrell had a good game.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

it was pretty scrappy, our lineouts were a shambles from start to finish - on the plus side our scrum was strong, Nelson and Farrell both looked quite dangerous at times, Farrell in particular and I thought that a couple of our back row and second row guys carried pretty well, particularly the no. 8 McMahon (?) and Conor Joyce. I thought Spence had an off day...
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Anyone know how the schools team went?
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Both 19's teams lost. A - 6-0 B - 13-5.

School's lost midweek to Leinster 15-22 , but it was an improved performance from the Connacht game.

Youth's kick off their inter pro series this Saturday away to Munster.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Leinster U-20 33 Ulster U-20 13.

Connacht beat Munster to win the title