Positives & Negatives: Ulster V Cardif

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Positives & Negatives: Ulster V Cardif

Post by againstthehead »

I'd like to see a bit more marketing in regards to ticket sales - eg TV ads, newspaper offers, increased ticket outlets - eg QUB, UU, shopping centres etc etc.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

We're missing 9 players not 7
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Ardglass2 wrote:Spence is certainly doing a good job of putting the 'he cant pass' theorists in their place.
And as one of them (though to be strictly accurate its "needs to learn how to") I am happy to eat my words. Having now watched the game on TV he was absolutely outstanding and indeed I might award MOTM jointly to him & big Chris.

I just can't understand anyone who was not impressed by that display from the entire team. They were misfiring a bit despite some excellent play but then WHAMMO - 2 tries in 3 minutes and game over. I actually thought they played pretty smart rugby in the 2nd half, no frills take it to them and very very solid.

I can easily forgive iHumph for a bad night with the boot, he doesn't owe us much in that respect & you can take that to the bank. Some of his other work was sublime, some not so.

Curiously there was very little that I could fault Small p on either, no outstanding breaks but more importantly no major brainfarts. To my mind you really notice a 9 when they are either very good or crap. When they are going about their business with no big dramas they are usually putting in a decent stint and thats how I found the wee man last night.

I am beginning to purr over Nevin Spence, I have never doubted that he is talented, just that he may follow the Trimble route. Now I'm beginning to see a potential centre of the highest class who could potentially be equally at home at 12 or 13. His pop pass to Dizzy for the 2nd try was a thing of beauty with little or no time to do it. Now I'm going to have to pick up on his kicking game - needs some variety. :lol:

Speaking of Dizzy, FFS he is looking very very comfortable as a wing and he really is taking some lines that you would expect from a seasoned winger. Both Cardiff wings last night have pace to burn but neither looked like making a dent in our guys.

I am a massive Cave fan, one of our most intelligent players as both his finishes demonstrated. I picked him up as saying he was expecting to come off at half-time in his interview, perhaps McGlock wants to keep the unfortunate Mr D'Arcy happy after all.

Gilroy, what a player young Craig looks, his movement is instinctive and he could take anyone to the cleaners. Perhaps not as much straight line speed as I thought previously but when you can step like that it makes up for a lot.

Jared Payne. Oh my, he played as if he has been here for years. Whats settling in all about? He was right on the money from his casual 1st high ball, to ghosting through the defense but the most impressive thing was his vocals, really. He never stopped talking to the players around him and much as his own skills are excellent he may just become most important for organising the backs. Just what you want at 15 - complete authority. Loved the range of his kicking game as well, great variety and great judgement of strength of kick. I think we have a gem on our hands.

Cutting this short a bit, the back row were matched with what in theory was a stalwart unit but they just didn't see them in their way. Henry really impressed me and I am convinced he is now our 7 of choice. Diack was great to see back, his lineout work was fantastic and all round he was very good, no way you would swap him for Rush. Pedrie is a lean mean fighting machine, looking fitter than a robber's dog and whilst he may occasionally looks to dither but my friends my opinion is that he has realised that getting isolated is a mugs game & he appears to have decided that he will go where teammates follow & has the strength not to be turned over.

Dan Dan the really big man was superb and ruled the lineout plus had aggression to spare around the pitch, if he stays fit he will not see Cullen or Micko in his way come the 6Ns. Beware DOC, theres a new sheriff in town. HIs buddy last night big Lewis does a lot of hard work & I am beginning to see what ever team needs, a big lump who looks for boys to pound at every breakdown, liking him so far.

Then the front row, last night we had 2 props who now have to start being taken very seriously. I thought Deccie did a great job at loosehead and although I did have a slight bit of tongue in cheek, I genuinely think that if he can stay fit he is a fine scrummager and I think back to when we missed BJ against Stade and Deccie I think faced Marconnet and wasn't remotely inconvenienced. Then Jerry Cronin, how much progress is that man making with every game? He also put in a great shift in the loose. Finally big daddy - Andi the Greek, two words only - magnificent display.

Three from three, looking so much more clinical than last season, not scraping early wins. Whisper it, but this year I can't begin to contemplate what we can do. Ferris looking fit and well, John Afoa to come, we know what to expect from Ruan & Johann - 100% professionalism and leadership, Rory who was brilliant today, probably a very frustrated Andy Trimble ready to explode plus Paddy & Big Si & TC. There is going to be a massive task for McGlock deciding who to play.

Rooster has it right: The future is bright the future is white etc etc.

FFS sake I'm finding it hard to cope, I'm turning into a bloody optimist :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

Watching Munster v Scarlets at the moment and they look like they could stand to have a few more folks in too.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

And so it seems the Humphreys, McLaughlin combination is beginning develop a squad of players capable of wearing the white shirt of Ulster. And the most pleasing thing is that there are some foreign players slotting in well, some about to slot in well and a shed load of local youngsters who believe their life's destiny is to play rugby for Ulster. Hmmm there is something going on here we should keep an eye on.
Romeo47 Alpha 52
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

Agree with pretty much all of that Baggy, pack were physical & aggressive, backs sharp & slick.

A lot of positives going forward.

A few negatives.

Its good to see Small Paul service being fast but at times it looked rushed. Rushed decisions & rushed execution this in turn created some manic play especially in the crucial scoring zone.
I would have liked to have seen more patience at times and that self assurance must first IMO come from him at 9.
In an ideal world I would really like to see 2 players really pushing for a chance at each shirt. Porter replaced Marshall but looked well off the pace.
Likewise Jackson coming on (although he did not play badly) coincided with a drop in tempo.
Mc Comish did not impress me, he looks the part but made a # of pretty much everything he was involved in.
It may seem churlish to gripe a little but even with so many stars missing I think Ulster can raise their game again.

Step up and take your chance or step to the side.
:cowboy: :red:
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

aye, thought mccormish looked rusty. As you say we're missing 9 players plus barker, faloon and black. i think we have reasonable depth pretty much all over which is a credit to the coaching staff.

What about the leinster result!!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Leinster result suggest that maybe Glasgow not so easy after all Munster beat the Scarletts and unfortunately scored 3 tries and were awarded a penalty try as well to give them a bonus pt and to go ahead of Ulster.
Also take a look at the Aviva Premiership where Harlequins top the table.
These results accentuate the need for Ulster to start adding the Bonus point in our games.
This has been the one consistent negative this Season.
Not knocking the wins but Friday night first half seemed to promise a bonus point result only to disappoint. I realise that injuries and reshuffles did effect the situation but still a disappointment.
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

The crowd was 6555 the third highest league attendance overall this year so far which on a wet night is not too bad.
Frankly I blame TV. In these recessionary times people can sit at home on a wet night and watch for nothing and because of this I know ones who have cancelled their season tickets and stay at home.
What I would really like to know what is financial benefit are the clubs getting for the loss of revenue caused by free TV. Does anyone know?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

TinPig wrote:Agree with pretty much all of that Baggy, pack were physical & aggressive, backs sharp & slick.

A lot of positives going forward.

A few negatives.

Its good to see Small Paul service being fast but at times it looked rushed. Rushed decisions & rushed execution this in turn created some manic play especially in the crucial scoring zone.
I would have liked to have seen more patience at times and that self assurance must first IMO come from him at 9.
In an ideal world I would really like to see 2 players really pushing for a chance at each shirt. Porter replaced Marshall but looked well off the pace.
Likewise Jackson coming on (although he did not play badly) coincided with a drop in tempo.
Mc Comish did not impress me, he looks the part but made a # of pretty much everything he was involved in.
It may seem churlish to gripe a little but even with so many stars missing I think Ulster can raise their game again.

Step up and take your chance or step to the side.
:cowboy: :red:
You are right with those extras Tinny. My point with Small p is that he had one of his less poor games, I don't believe he will ever be good enough, mainly due to his passing but fairs fair,not a bad game last night.

McComish hmmmmm, yeah don't see him getting much game time.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Cracker wrote:The crowd was 6555 the third highest league attendance overall this year so far which on a wet night is not too bad.
Frankly I blame TV. In these recessionary times people can sit at home on a wet night and watch for nothing and because of this I know ones who have cancelled their season tickets and stay at home.
What I would really like to know what is financial benefit are the clubs getting for the loss of revenue caused by free TV. Does anyone know?
6555 isn't good. The crowds for Glasgow and Cardiff are back to 2003 and 2004 levels of attendance therefore UR is going backwards. As you say, games on free TV is likely to be a key reason.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

What ever club McComish is associated with will be delighted!!!
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

mikerob wrote:
Cracker wrote:The crowd was 6555 the third highest league attendance overall this year so far which on a wet night is not too bad.
6555 isn't good. The crowds for Glasgow and Cardiff are back to 2003 and 2004 levels of attendance therefore UR is going backwards. As you say, games on free TV is likely to be a key reason.

How much is pay at the gate these days? 15 quid? expensive enough really.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

I stand beside the Ulster bench and when this man with the beautiful blond hair came on i think everyone had to turn to there programmes and say 'who's this guy?''oh Mike McComish'
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Mikerob wrote...
How much is pay at the gate these days? 15 quid? expensive enough really.
£16 for adult terrace...will probably see an increase for HEC and inter-pro games.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.