Positives & Negatives: Ulster V Connacht

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Positives & Negatives: Ulster V Connacht

Post by Big-al »

Ferris was running about alright after going down I thought, if it was any serious damage he would be hobbling about on 1 leg. Muller looked worse.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Big-al wrote:He got caught in possession a couple of times and continues to slow down quick ball. Your correct, I don't rate him.
I think he gets the ball away quicker than Isaac boss that many on here would have preferred to stay. His decision making and passsing accuracy are more of a concern for me than his speed of distribution. All in all, he did okay tonight - nothing more, nothing less.

You could argue that it was only Connacht, but as someone else said a while ago, "you can only beat what's in front of you".
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

any news on any of the injury doubts? all of them are very useful players and we can't afford to lose anymore

as for the porter vs marshall debate, they're both as bad as each other in all honesty - i wouldn't want either starting next week but unfortunately it must be one of them, probably small p as he has more experience
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Big-al wrote:Paul Marshall was woeful
I have been quick to slate p when he has played like a wired up taz, but tonight he was much better. His passing was all over the shop, but he was much less of a headless chicken. Wonder did Johann hide his Haribos.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

1F went over on his ankle, looked like a bit sore but nothing worse, Muller was smiling going off at the end so that is a reasonable sign as well, don't think anything serious by the look of it on TV.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:1F went over on his ankle, looked like a bit sore but nothing worse, Muller was smiling going off at the end so that is a reasonable sign as well, don't think anything serious by the look of it on TV.
Hope you are right.
Kepano
Novice

Post by Kepano »

Snipe Watson wrote:
I have been quick to slate p when he has played like a wired up taz, but tonight he was much better. His passing was all over the shop, but he was much less of a headless chicken. Wonder did Johann hide his Haribos.
Surely the basic skill a scrum half has to have is the ability to pass anything else is a bonus. I'll accept I've seen marshall play worse but he was still bad by any standards.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Reasonable performance overall, we showed a lot more potential than result but I thought quite a lot of play tonight was encouraging, defence, not going wide all the time, Danielli played pretty well and came into the line with pace from time to time. Wingers knocked on a load of times under a bit of pressure, Wallace and Cave played really well together, on that performance can't see what Spence could add to it. I'm a big fan of Spence but Cave is just an incredibly intelligent player. Hump not where he needs to be yet, Marshall and Porter were both of a similar standard, I think Porter's pass accuracy will improve with time but he clearly will get the backline moving more than Marshall. Forwards as a unit did pretty well, Ferris outstanding and Afoa very good, really wish we would maul more but I guess the rules of the game discourage this now.
All in all satisfactory result, if we had scored a try round the 50 minute mark when we threatened a bonus point was there for the taking.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Kepano wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Surely the basic skill a scrum half has to have is the ability to pass anything else is a bonus. I'll accept I've seen marshall play worse but he was still bad by any standards.
I'll disagree with both of ye - SOME of his passing was all over the shop, but MOST of it was surprisingly accurate.

Maybe I watched a different game to you though.

I certainly watched a different one to that described on BBC website
Replacements: Porter for P Marshall (59), Diack for Ferris (59).
Not used: Kyriacou, McAllister, Macklin, Stevenson, Spence, D'Arcy.
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Kepano wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: I have been quick to slate p when he has played like a wired up taz, but tonight he was much better. His passing was all over the shop, but he was much less of a headless chicken. Wonder did Johann hide his Haribos.
I'll disagree with both of ye - SOME of his passing was all over the shop, but MOST of it was surprisingly accurate.

Maybe I watched a different game to you though.

I certainly watched a different one to that described on BBC website
Replacements: Porter for P Marshall (59), Diack for Ferris (59).
Not used: Kyriacou, McAllister, Macklin, Stevenson, Spence, D'Arcy.
I stand corrected a lot of his passing was fine.

Fairly sure we watched the same game.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:I stand corrected a lot of his passing was fine.
At least you can stand - unlike the 3 drunks who were swaying in front of me!

I actually passed comment a number of times on the accuracy of his pass - by no means all the time, but when you are expecting the ball to be arriving around the ankles or over the head of the receiver, it is worthy of comment when it arrives in the midrift of the oncoming runner and he managed that more than he usually does.
Snipe Watson wrote:Fairly sure we watched the same game.
I'm not - I was distracted by 3 drunks swaying in front of me.
I'm not arguing -
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

Maybe they were quite still and you were doing the swaying. :twisted: :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Is it common to shout 'Ref are you paid in euros' when a decision doesnt go our way?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Damian you are very emotional tonight........glad we won or I'd be concerned for your safety. :wink:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

colinh wrote:Maybe they were quite still and you were doing the swaying. :twisted: :twisted:
That would mean that the hundreds of others standing around were swaying too and only 3 were standing still. :shock:

I think you know the 3 individuals concerned ( or at least 1 or 2), and when that sinks in, you will know they weren't standing still. :wink:
I'm not arguing -