New IRFU Player Contract Policy

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Changes for foreign imports???

Post by againstthehead »

Realistically most sides play 4 props every game these days. I don't see why each side can't have 1 foreign prop.

Also, common sense needs to come in play. For example, we have a fair few decent Irish hookers - what's the point of someone signing an overseas hooker (no puns please) for the sake of it?

For me, the aim should be to develope Connacht rugby. The fan base is there - just let them have a few decent players!!!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

* The Connacht professional side is external to this process as it has recently commenced a new programme of structural and performance development agreed with the IRFU.
Do we really have to continue this on 2 threads?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
The Fonz
Novice

Post by The Fonz »

cables wrote:
* The Connacht professional side is external to this process as it has recently commenced a new programme of structural and performance development agreed with the IRFU.
Do we really have to continue this on 2 threads?
No 8)
Keep Cool 8)
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Re: New IRFU Player Contract Policy

Post by fuzzylogic »

by againstthehead » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Realistically most sides play 4 props every game these days. I don't see why each side can't have 1 foreign prop.

Also, common sense needs to come in play. For example, we have a fair few decent Irish hookers - what's the point of someone signing an overseas hooker (no puns please) for the sake of it?
About the props, yes, but 3 of Munsters main 4 are foreign.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The only real difficulty with this is the horse trading that will be needed to divvy up the spots if two provinces need the same shirt filled.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

So what is the situation with NIQs right now? (putting aside project players and injury replacements)

Please correct me if I have any of these wrong, but I think the list is -

Ulster:
Pienaar - SH
Muller - 2nd Row
Wannenburg - Back Row
Afoa - THP
Danielli - Wing

Leinster:
Auva'a - No 8
Berquist - OH
Nacewa - FB
Sykes - 2nd Row
Van Der Merwe - LHP

Munster:
Borlase - THP
Botha - THP
Du Preez - LHP
Howlett - Wing
Mafi - Centre

The positions that would be an issue now with the new IRFU rules would be THP and LHP.

The provinces need to get more IQ props but clashes with other positions may not be a major issue.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

I'd have thought there could be some real difficulty at the point that it becomes clear there's no rugby player manufacturing machine on Rockall that can be cranked up a gear once you stop those nasty foreigners getting in.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

If you notice the improvement in Small P since Pienarr has arrived and even that of Tom Court (Scrummage & around the park)
With Afoa coming into the squad. IMO quality players peppered in key positions through a team nurture local talent and bring players around them up to their level. This new policy I think is flawed and would probably served better with NIQ reduced to 3 and 2 projects but no silly positional restrictions on who can play where. Time will tell but keeping Afoa is essential.
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Resign Afoa as a winger or center if all else fails :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Red Hand Hero wrote: Realistically the IRFU, were going to have to grip the propping nettle sooner or later as praying Mike Ross doesn't get injured simply isn't good enough.
Spot on RHH. This has been the elephant in the room for years. The amount of time and money invested in Buckle was a disgrace. A global search for young IQ props should have been launched years ago.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Resign Afoa as a winger or center if all else fails :D
if signings are position specific will players be permitted to play any other than their official position?
Will P3 be permited to play 6 during the 6N or will he be required to start and finish at 8?
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

1 - I really don't understand how this stuff is legal. Would any normal (non-sport related) industry get away with it for eu nationals?

2 - the logic is based on the fact that there are only three teams who can employ Irish players. When actually there are 3+9+12+14 in the rest of rabodirectland, England and France...

3 - will the irfu be subsidising players who lose tax break benefits as a result of their enforced move to ulster? Because otherwise ulster are screwed.

Central contracts and irfu ownership have more pluses than minuses but this stinks
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

There may be trouble ahead...
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
UlsterBok
Novice

Post by UlsterBok »

This is nonsensical for me. The IRFU dont seem to have grasped the fact that with the IRFU resting player management, with Heinken cup commitments, SIx Nations and usual injuries factored in that plenty of young players will always come through and get opportunities. Having foreign players helps to develop local players and gives added strength to the Heineken cup. I dont think flooding the league with foreign players is a good thing, but i certainly think Ulster have benefited from their foreign contingent.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

I would be amazed if this policy did not go through the Representative Game Standing Committee.

M.J. O'Sullivan, T.H.N. Jackson, L. Galvin, P. Orr, P. Whelan, D. Lamont

Chairmen of 4 PTMC's

P.R. Browne, E. Wigglesworth, P. McNaughton, M. Dowling, C. O'Brien, O. Hassanein
Illegitimi Non Carborundum