Clermont - Still a massive game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Firstly, I know it's great that we have qualified and at the end of the day, we have achieved what we set out to do, so fair play to everyone involved......BUT

Clermont is still a MASSIVE GAME for Ulster.

If we lose easily it will revive doubts about our ability to win big matches on the road and give Leinster/Munster/Sarries in all probability a lot more confidence going into the QF against us. It'll be a bit like Northampton last year. No-one will really fear us away from home and I'd see very little reason for optimism as to why we could win such a game. It will bring back the "Ulster are strong away from home but weak away" view and at the end of the day, we'll have had nothing to show from our away trips other than a win against Aironi. It would be difficult to qualify that as much progress away from home and like I said, would give little optimism.

A win would mean SOOOOOOO much. Imagine what the rest of Europe would think. We'd be back at Fortress Ravenhill and no-one could consider us as the poor 3rd cousins of Irish rugby anymore. We would have the respect of European rugby by going and making a statement over there. We would be SERIOUS contenders for the title.

Don't get me wrong. It's still a massive achievement for Ulster to qualify from this pool and this should be recognised, but the one thing that still leaves a big gap on our CV is a big away win (other than Bath last season).

A lot of people on here talk about us now as one of the top sides in Europe but I'd say to be truly up there, this is what we need.

Anyway, that's all for tomorrow!
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Clermont - Still a massive game

Post by damianmcr »

Beating Clermont would help us avoid Leinster as well!!

But that fixture would excite me!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

If anything, the game is even more massive now. The huge opportunity afforded by a win tomorrow has become crystal clear after tonight's results.

The bookies agree. Best price available now is 22-1 with Paddy Power.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

Bart S wrote:Firstly, I know it's great that we have qualified and at the end of the day, we have achieved what we set out to do, so fair play to everyone involved......BUT

Clermont is still a MASSIVE GAME for Ulster.

If we lose easily it will revive doubts about our ability to win big matches on the road and give Leinster/Munster/Sarries in all probability a lot more confidence going into the QF against us. It'll be a bit like Northampton last year. No-one will really fear us away from home and I'd see very little reason for optimism as to why we could win such a game. It will bring back the "Ulster are strong away from home but weak away" view and at the end of the day, we'll have had nothing to show from our away trips other than a win against Aironi. It would be difficult to qualify that as much progress away from home and like I said, would give little optimism.

A win would mean SOOOOOOO much. Imagine what the rest of Europe would think. We'd be back at Fortress Ravenhill and no-one could consider us as the poor 3rd cousins of Irish rugby anymore. We would have the respect of European rugby by going and making a statement over there. We would be SERIOUS contenders for the title.

Don't get me wrong. It's still a massive achievement for Ulster to qualify from this pool and this should be recognised, but the one thing that still leaves a big gap on our CV is a big away win (other than Bath last season).

A lot of people on here talk about us now as one of the top sides in Europe but I'd say to be truly up there, this is what we need.

Anyway, that's all for tomorrow!
+1
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Spot on Bart, just pondering the enormity of tomorrows game. Getting eighth at worst seed is an achievement but its also the route to the exit door on the face of it, Leinster at the Aviva barring something very strange.

A win will give us a home draw, no ifs or buts. Could be wrong but unless we shipped a load of injuries before Spring that stacks up to me as odds on a semi final.

My other thought tonight is how easy McGlock must consider this HC business. He must occasionally ponder what all his predecessors back to Harry Williams were playing at, did they make an effort? For all the conjecture about him/his job, a semi final or better would make him a very tough act to show the door.

:cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Spot on Bart, just pondering the enormity of tomorrows game. Getting eighth at worst seed is an achievement but its also the route to the exit door on the face of it, Leinster at the Aviva barring something very strange.

A win will give us a home draw, no ifs or buts. Could be wrong but unless we shipped a load of injuries before Spring that stacks up to me as odds on a semi final.

My other thought tonight is how easy McGlock must consider this HC business. He must occasionally ponder what all his predecessors back to Harry Williams were playing at, did they make an effort? For all the conjecture about him/his job, a semi final or better would make him a very tough act to show the door.

Couldnt agree more with paragraphs one and two BT but you must see that the former coaches did not have the benefit of Dr Humphs superb signings and therefore a 1st XV that if they did win Hec, it wouldnt be a surprise.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I'd like to think B McL and Johann will between now and then be hammering into them that nothing has changed in terms of their objectives, to win in Clermont. Although with the pressure off it might well mean Ulster will just go all out and throw everything at them because they've got little to lose.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

namron wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Spot on Bart, just pondering the enormity of tomorrows game. Getting eighth at worst seed is an achievement but its also the route to the exit door on the face of it, Leinster at the Aviva barring something very strange.

Couldnt agree more with paragraphs one and two BT but you must see that the former coaches did not have the benefit of Dr Humphs superb signings and therefore a 1st XV that if they did win Hec, it wouldnt be a surprise.
Of course Norm, I'm simply partaking of some post-qualification euphoria when talking of former coaches, except of course the STA who was to Ulster what Graeme Souness was to Liverpool as a manager.

But as for McGlock's stock, it would be massive if we got to semi or better.

Looking forward to late Sunday afternoon when we will know our fate for the Q-F and whether home or away for a potential S-F. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Yep I cant sleep im so excited. Flat out for a victory with no pressure whatsoever.Things dont get much better and try draw permitting we need to stay within 4 points to top the group :cheers:
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Great article on Ulster by Will Greenwood.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... 7/Heineken
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Big-al wrote:Great article on Ulster by Will Greenwood.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... 7/Heineken
Link below works better, you only got part of it al. :thumleft:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ation.html
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Nothing to lose! Let's tear them a new one! STAND UP & BELIEVE!!!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

If we can get a home quarter final we can go all the way. Spirit of 99 lads! Game tomorrow is even bigger now!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Maybe sky should reinstate Leicester v Aironi as the main game in light of the result last night :stir:
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:Maybe sky should reinstate Leicester v Aironi as the main game in light of the result last night :stir:
Nope, always reckoned when Ireland A won on a Friday night main side got slaughtered next day when everyone went on a high from it, might not always have been like that but that sticks in my brain.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best