Redevelopment.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Redevelopment.

Post by BR »

Cornerfleg wrote:I just want it noted right now that I will never buy tickets for the Joeli Veitayaki or Grant Henderson Stand ... d'ya hear?
They had the Joe Derriaghy Stand at the Quins game a few years ago - in danger of getting blown over by a gust of wind.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cornerfleg wrote:I just want it noted right now that I will never buy tickets for the Joeli Veitayaki or Grant Henderson Stand ... d'ya hear?
Well if you buy a ticket for the Andy Kershaw stand you will never find your seat, for that matter you might not even find the stand :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

The Tu Tamarua stand was looking good until some wee kid tried to sit in one of the seats and it imploded ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

There is also the likelihood that an "enclosed" pitch will assist the raucous atmosphere and make the place even more intimidating for visiting teams -hehehe I'd love to see that if I live long enough.

Very much a case of The Field of Dreams: Build it and they will come.
Baggy, I very much hope that both of these comments are correct. As a prom dweller the new stand has definitely kept the noise bouncing about so hopefully all enclosed will make it even worse for away teams.

I suspect that when the new ground opens numbers will increase initially from a curiosity point of view it nothing else. The addition of extra seating may prove attractive to those who cannot attend every game :salut: :red: :salut:
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

As long as the prices don't hit TP levels we'll get people - school and youth club deals are also important.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Cornerfleg wrote:As long as the prices don't hit TP levels we'll get people - school and youth club deals are also important.
What kind of prices are games at Thomond?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Can be a bit silly - I've a mate who goes regularly I'll get the last few prices off him. I know the ST prices are mental considering that some games are at Musgrave.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

€30, €40, €50 AFIK (some may be higher)

Which is something similar to Ravenhill when all things are considered.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

For their unbelievable input to Ulster Rugby:
The Muller stand
The Pienaar stand
The Afoa stand
The Wannenburg stand (to be renamed the Kaino stand when he arrives)
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

The 99 Stand
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The new development could threaten the Ravenhill "wind tunnel" that has served us so well in the past.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
didyounowrong
Novice

Post by didyounowrong »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Loki wrote:i think 18,200 is pushing it slightly and lower selling games will be hugely noticed. several thousand empty seats on a poor night can't go unnoticed. however Ulster as a business needs to get more competitive and attractive, if the redevelopment forces the club to work toward that then grand so.
One does occasionally wonder about playing in a less than fullish looking stadium Loki but its important to keep the big pic in mind. We are going in the right direction on the field which makes it all the more likely we will be looking towards regular Pro12 knock out matches & HC quarter finals so we must look at having a ground which can allow us to have our home advantage.

Furthermore we are apparently getting viewing figures of 100000 on the Beeb for Pro12 games, a proportion of these have to be convertible into live attendees.

There is also the likelihood that an "enclosed" pitch will assist the raucous atmosphere and make the place even more intimidating for visiting teams -hehehe I'd love to see that if I live long enough.

how's it all going folks - 1st time poster here after eventually plucking up the courage (especially as it's the legendary Baggy Trousers I'm quoting here!)

I am one of those 'part-time supporters' who only get to a few games every now and then, but try to never miss a game on the telly. Recently I have taken my wee lad to the odd match and he and I absolutely love it . Both him and I would probably have been more football (soccer) types, but to tell you the truth, the way that game is going just p***es me off more and more. I am delighted with this new development and will seriously consider getting a season ticket if the price is right. Ulster Rugby are going in the right direction on and off the pitch and there are thousands of people like myself who probably just need 'nudged' a bit more to commit to the club. Here's hoping that Ulster Rugby can do their bit and I would be hopeful that the crowds will come, onward and upwards!

Hope I haven't made a balls of posting this!
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

that's a commendable first post DYNW, here's to many more. welcome and good man yourself for bringing the wean to the rugby. I've had mixed results dragging friends and family to Ravenhill, get 'em while they're young! plus to quote the fellow next to me the first time I went to Ravenhill: "The more I watch rugby, the less I like soccer."

Build it and they will come indeed. I've no doubt that the demand for a few more thousand seats on the big nights can be created, it's up to Ulster to make some converts and some hay while the sun shines. At the end of the day if it's done right the club can only benefit, and the supporters too.
Last edited by Loki on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Yep. Good post from someone who is representative of exactly the sort of punter that UR should be actively targetting. Can't see what the fuss is about meself. 15K is the bare minimum and it's sensible to add on a bit of contingency in case the ERC decide to up their criteria in the future. If the terrace and the main stand are at normal capacity, I can't see how the atmos will suffer.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Chill out Didyee, ould ballixs like myself tend to be in possession of a bark worse than our bite especially when people post sense. Glad to hear you are considering the ST, the only way to guarantee tickets for the biggest of games if the future is as good as we are beginning to dare to expect.

Don't want to beat stereotypes about too much but your lad is likely to learn a lot more in the way of character from exposure to rugby than wendyball. Just my opinion of course. :salut:

As for legendary - thats only in my own lunchtime. :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.