So where do we play the QF?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: So where do we play the QF?

Post by rocky »

You're right and the sooner they get rid of that abortion of so-called rugby and get everyone back to the real thing, the better. No, wait, if they did that, the English might start to win. Forget that!!!
Bo***cks to Brexit
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The GAA aren't looking forward to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals like the rest of us, but why?
yesterday at 10:05 am

The Heineken Cup quarter-final draw might be great news for rugby fans, but the powers that be in the GAA are facing a potential scheduling crisis as a result.

The All-Ireland provincial showdown between Munster and Ulster on Easter Sunday is likely to command the interest of even the most fair-weather rugby fans, including plenty whose first love is GAA, meaning that there will be plenty of bums missing from seats in GAA grounds across the country.

In total, 16 National League Football games are scheduled for Easter Sunday, 8 April with a throw-in time of 2.30 pm, 45 minutes after kick-off at Thomond Park. In an effort to avoid conflict with the rugby, the GAA could potentially delay throw-in times until later that afternoon or even play games on Saturday evening, but there is a degree of uncertainty attached to both of those options.

For one, Leinster’s Heineken Cup quarter-final against Cardiff Blues kicks off on Saturday evening at 5.45 pm, while later throw-in times on Sunday afternoon wouldn’t necessarily equate to bigger crowds at GAA matches.

The weekend in question is a big one for the National Football League, as places in the divisional finals will be up for grabs in what is the last round of fixtures in the top three divisions. Because it’s the last round, all fixtures must be played at the same time, so it’s not a case that one or two fixtures could be played on Saturday evening or later on Sunday afternoon.

The potential scheduling clash is a pity not only for the GAA, but for all avid sports fans out there because amongst the GAA matches scheduled for Easter Sunday are Cork v Dublin in a repeat of last year’s National League Final and the 2010 All-Ireland Final, and a repeat of last year’s All-Ireland semi-final between Kerry and Mayo.

It seems as if the GAA would have to go really far out of their way to appease all counties involved and those of us who would like to see rugby and GAA on the same day, so in all likelihood, the games are likely to go ahead as scheduled, even if the GAA coffers will take a fairly substantial hit as a result.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Rocky, a mate of mine in Derry went off to an Ireland match in Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadiff with a group of guys he didn't know well. John wasn't into rugby in KG's day, not until I took him to Paris with me for a week in 1982 when we were there looking for a Grand Slam, waved goodbye to the wives and drove to Paris!!!

Anyway one of John's mates told him you are travelling with a legend & it turned out to be Ken. Don't think the big man survived a year after that but good drinker that he is I don't blame John.

Goodall was, with Mervyn Davies the new breed of 8, very dynamic and great ball carriers at speed. It was a shame at that time he was ostracised for having been a pro and his skills were lost to Irish Rugby for you would think he could have helped a lot of kids with coaching as a teacher. Suppose he did latterly but its good those days are gone.

And of course big Mervyn Davies also had his health sorrows but he is still on the sod.
Heard an anicdote about Ken Goodall when he was playing no8 against Scotland and Roger Young was playing scrum half.
Roger spotted a gap on the blind side and shouted to Ken give him the ball from the back of a scrum.
Ken kept the ball at his feet .
Again Roger demanded the ball, Ken kept in in
Then an exasperated Roger Young implored his no8 to give him the ball one final time whist the move was still on.
Ken turned round and said "Say please".
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shan wrote:
rocky wrote:Oh goody, here we go again. Snipe and Grumps - let's be havin' you. Another mentalists v the rest match. Is this the quarter-final too? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I blame Dave. He brought up the subject in the first place.

Sorry Dave.

>TH
Should of known better :banghead: religion, flags, anthems..... :roll:
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

In response to Rooster's GAA article, it's just another reason why our game shouldn't be on Sunday. This really is just poor planning by ERC and Sky, not bothering to consult anybody else and ruining other people's weekends :evil:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

The modern world... In the majority of people's eyes (even in God Fearing Ulster), Sunday is just another day.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ruckover wrote:In response to Rooster's GAA article, it's just another reason why our game shouldn't be on Sunday. This really is just poor planning by ERC and Sky, not bothering to consult anybody else and ruining other people's weekends :evil:
The Sunday actually suits me best :D
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Sunday doesn't bother me but it does seem a bit daft having the quarters on the holiday w/e. The diehards will travel of course, but a lot of casual fans who may have gone will be elsewhere or will be under pressure to stay at home wi the family.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I've heard it all now. This hype is getting out of hand. Do people really think that GAA supporters won't go to their club games because there is a rugby match on the tele? Would be like one of us not going to ravers as their is a decent football game on tv. Club ties run very deep in GAA circles, often more so than county. Bit like some of us with Ulster and Ireland. So am told anyway.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

I wouldnt get out of bed for a NFL game. The attendances for NFL games is already pretty low compared to championship games.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Dave wrote:I've heard it all now. This hype is getting out of hand. Do people really think that GAA supporters won't go to their club games because there is a rugby match on the tele? Would be like one of us not going to ravers as their is a decent football game on tv. Club ties run very deep in GAA circles, often more so than county. Bit like some of us with Ulster and Ireland. So am told anyway.
die-hards will always go to their preferred sport but the casual fans may well be encouraged to stay at home and watch everything on tv. the impact on the attendances when munster played leinster on this date a few years back was clear. nothing anyone could or should do about it though.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

aarons wrote:
Dave wrote:I've heard it all now. This hype is getting out of hand. Do people really think that GAA supporters won't go to their club games because there is a rugby match on the tele? Would be like one of us not going to ravers as their is a decent football game on tv. Club ties run very deep in GAA circles, often more so than county. Bit like some of us with Ulster and Ireland. So am told anyway.
die-hards will always go to their preferred sport but the casual fans may well be encouraged to stay at home and watch everything on tv. the impact on the attendances when munster played leinster on this date a few years back was clear. nothing anyone could or should do about it though.
I guess it depends where you live, I think there are more die hards where I live who wouldn't miss a game. Although interesting I've seen signs of more interest in Ulster since the BBC coverage from GAA circles. The Friday night appeal is always a factor too, but there might need to be more of an effort made in scheduling to avoid conflicts for local sides of any sport to keep their numbers up.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dave wrote:
aarons wrote:
Although interesting I've seen signs of more interest in Ulster since the BBC coverage from GAA circles.
I can definitely echo that. Family commitments mean that I spend midweek in South Down in GAA heartland. Had a few GAA aquaintances discussing the action from BBC's Friday night coverage. Couple even expressed an interest in getting down to Ravenhill to sample the atmosphere.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Sunday is fine for me too, Rooster, just doesn't suit a lot of people with church commitments etc. Just booked the hotel there now :cheers: roll on April! :red:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
The Fonz
Novice

Post by The Fonz »

The religious bit has moved to the back room
Keep Cool 8)