Oscars

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Oscars

Post by Snipe Watson »

Is this the best moment in the history of the most ridiculous, self-satisfied of all events?
http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/blogs/editor ... 08637.html

"If anyone asks who you are wearing tell them Kim Jong-il"

Now that is worth 6
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Oscars

Post by big mervyn »

+1

Hate awards shows with a passion. Bigger they are the more smug, supercilious, sycophantic (feel free to insert other words beginning with S) they become.

Enjoyed Gervais taking the rise a couple of years ago - unfortunately he was crap this year.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Big Nose
Novice

Post by Big Nose »

edwardmv
Novice

Post by edwardmv »

Rooney Mara should have got it. As if meryl streep doesn't have enough awards. :/
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Gentlemen may I clarify the fact that this thread is for mocking the Oscars, not commenting on who did or did not win. :roll:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:Gentlemen may I clarify the fact that this thread is for mocking the Oscars, not commenting on who did or did not win. :roll:
You should have asked for opinions on the winners then ........ you know how quickly things go off topic - someone was BOUND to start taking the Michael :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

The Oscars is some big pile of steaming $hite with the emphasis on the $.

A bunch of wealthy movie stars congratulating each other for doing their jobs which they are well overpaid for mostly. The world watching on because they have been conditioned to think it is great that rich people are honoured for their efforts at accumulating wealth.

I would say though that Cohen is so far up his own 'arris he fits in quite nicely there. He's not mocking it to be humorous, he's mocking it to promote himself and his own wealth accumulation activities. He proves how easy it is to get the public to buy into one's efforts to extract money from them with ease and have them thank you for the privilege.

I thought he was somewhat funny when he started as Ali G but couldn't be looking at him nowadays.

I like movies but I have zero interest in the celebs' self-promotion and glorification activities.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:Gentlemen may I clarify the fact that this thread is for mocking the Oscars, not commenting on who did or did not win. :roll:
Shan wrote:The Oscars is some big pile of steaming $hite with the emphasis on the $.

A bunch of wealthy movie stars congratulating each other for doing their jobs which they are well overpaid for mostly. The world watching on because they have been conditioned to think it is great that rich people are honoured for their efforts at accumulating wealth.

I would say though that Cohen is so far up his own 'arris he fits in quite nicely there. He's not mocking it to be humorous, he's mocking it to promote himself and his own wealth accumulation activities. He proves how easy it is to get the public to buy into one's efforts to extract money from them with ease and have them thank you for the privilege.

I thought he was somewhat funny when he started as Ali G but couldn't be looking at him nowadays.

I like movies but I have zero interest in the celebs' self-promotion and glorification activities.
Interesting interpretation of the work "mocking" Shan :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Oscars restaurant in Galway is worth a visit , tasty food :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Posh Spice had a face like a slapped Brennan - just for a change! What was she doing at th'Oscars anyway?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:Posh Spice had a face like a slapped ar$e - just for a change! What was she doing at th'Oscars anyway?
Her face always looks like a slapped Brennan.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Re: Oscars

Post by Jackie Brown »

Rooster wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Posh Spice had a face like a slapped ar$e - just for a change! What was she doing at th'Oscars anyway?
Her face always looks like a slapped ar$e.
Pretending to be a singer? Not an Oscar worthy performance though...
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Re: Oscars

Post by Snipe Watson »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Her face always looks like a slapped ar$e.
Pretending to be a singer? Not an Oscar worthy performance though...
Big Joe was better at pretending to be an athelete. :roll:
penalty kick for a Razzie
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Much ado abaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat nuffink. Could just have entered the word "Oscars" in the "fings peepel don't much laaaaaaaak" fred. I aaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkks you guvnah.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

I'm so very glad that I'm not the cynical sod I thought I was. Or is it just that we're all cynical on this forum?

Of course we are but in this case we're most certainly not. The oscars are just simply laughable, a large group of self-proclaimed lovies all rubbing eachothers smug little egos in an attempt to advertise just how wonderful they all are whilst the quality movies that are actually worth watching fly past unnoticed. I mean as good as people say the remake of 'The girl with the dragon tattoo' is, lets face it, it's a copy and not all that good a copy at that. 'Warhorse' is Lassie with a horse (saving private equine).

There ...... rant over ..... now can I have an award please?