iHumph can tackle?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

iHumph can tackle?

Post by Dave »

Just looked at the tackling stats on espn. Heroic effort by the pack. Ferris and Touhy both on 19, no show pony there. To my surprise Ian Humphreys made 8 tackles. Great effort 1-15 :salut:

http://www.espnscrum.com/heineken-cup-2 ... 44344.html
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: iHumph can tackle?

Post by breakdown »

for me iHumph had a really good defensive game, best i've seen all season although I feel since he concentrated on defending and tackling his kicking went slightly downhill.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

He more gets in the way than tackles
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Rather him do that than northing at all.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

I don't know where Tuohy got the monicker of show pony. He put down a marker today for the naysayers who said he didn't perform at Wolfhounds level. He might not have carried like he does usually but he tackled his heart out and had a decent game. Surely he should be in the mix for the Ireland tour?
BPH
Initiate

Post by BPH »

Wallace and Cave were absolutely top class in defence in the midfield. Pity they didn't get a chance to show what they're made of going forward, but they were quietly heroic
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

BPH wrote:Wallace and Cave were absolutely top class in defence in the midfield. Pity they didn't get a chance to show what they're made of going forward, but they were quietly heroic
Absolutely, some great tackles going in alright.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Always have doubts about tackle stats because on many occasions players are not brought to ground in the modern game by a single player so that in fact many are tackle assists rather than tackles.

The major contribution to the defence to-day was the Ulster back row around the edges of the maul and in mid field

the fact that they kept their cool in spite of the provocation of the Munster pack was the big plus - Munster were at their work all afternoon taking out players without the ball and restraining players from joining the maul or take up defensive positions round the maul.

It would have been all to easy for the Ulster players to loose concentration in the circumstances.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

rumncoke wrote:Always have doubts about tackle stats because on many occasions players are not brought to ground in the modern game by a single player so that in fact many are tackle assists rather than tackles.

The major contribution to the defence to-day was the Ulster back row around the edges of the maul and in mid field

the fact that they kept their cool in spite of the provocation of the Munster pack was the big plus - Munster were at their work all afternoon taking out players without the ball and restraining players from joining the maul or take up defensive positions round the maul.

It would have been all to easy for the Ulster players to loose concentration in the circumstances.
Yeah, i saw a few munster forwards running interference lines ahead of rucks then funnily enough seeing backs punching through there. It's a pet hate of mine, surely any player ahead of a ruck who mucks around with the opposition can be called off-side, or am i wrong? Are they not supposed to retire to behind the ball as expeditiously as possible? The English used to be brilliant at this, and of course NZ are masters of the craft.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

stickinout wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Always have doubts about tackle stats because on many occasions players are not brought to ground in the modern game by a single player so that in fact many are tackle assists rather than tackles.

Yeah, i saw a few munster forwards running interference lines ahead of rucks then funnily enough seeing backs punching through there. It's a pet hate of mine, surely any player ahead of a ruck who mucks around with the opposition can be called off-side, or am i wrong? Are they not supposed to retire to behind the ball as expeditiously as possible? The English used to be brilliant at this, and of course NZ are masters of the craft.
Was about to say we are crap at that, Clermont were given stick by Sky as experts. Most very good teams have that "streetwise" part to their game. Its amazing how seldom its punished.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tom
Novice

Post by Tom »

IHumph did well yesterday, but I was thinking How much more formidable a side we would be with a more complete 10. Would like to see Jackson start next season first choice if possible, be great to have him developing between RP and PW,
the form 9 and 12 in Europe?
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Snipe Watson wrote:He more gets in the way than tackles
I would agree with that.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

iHumph can tackle?

Post by Windeos »

ihump was at fault for shooting the line for Zebo's try. He tried to take the easy route out & cut off the pass out wide but was caught out & left Trimble stranded,

IHump cannot tackle at all
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
stickinout wrote:

Was about to say we are crap at that, Clermont were given stick by Sky as experts. Most very good teams have that "streetwise" part to their game. Its amazing how seldom its punished.
Agree with all this, also saw times when they held our players on the ground well away from rucks. Also want to say in the last few minutes when we had a scrum O'Leary tackled Ruan before the ball had left the scrum, never mind Ruan getting his hands on it and Poite let them away with it. Lots going on on both sides but that is what you expect at this level.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Tom » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:26 am

IHumph did well yesterday, but I was thinking How much more formidable a side we would be with a more complete 10. Would like to see Jackson start next season first choice if possible, be great to have him developing between RP and PW,
the form 9 and 12 in Europe?
:shock: Have we signed Fofana for next season?
Mary had a little lamb . . .