the 3 shirt

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: the 3 shirt

Post by ruckover »

Spoke to Richard Mulligan who said DeccieFitz is nowhere near match fit and would need several AIL games first to be back in the running for Ulster. Macklin needs to step up. Here's his chance against an average (at best) Connacht side.

Embra's scrum should hold no fear. It isn't great and should be an area of strength in the semi.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

The best choice is to move Court to 3 with McAllister coming in as loosehead. That keeps our scrum solid and puts our 2 best props on the park from the start. I wouldn't want to put Fitzpatrick in because he hasn't played all season and Macklin really hasn't had much of a chance.

McAllister/Court is better than Court/Fitzpatrick or Court/Macklin.

Id go with McAllister and Court with Black and Macklin on the bench for the final.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

To be fair to Edinburgh, they did stand up to a very powerful Toulouse scrum.

Will be a great game for Paddy McAllister, a real powerful prop, he's got a big chance now to show everyone why he is rated within Ulster as a future Irish international and to be fair, if there was 1 in the last 8 that I would have up againest a Tom Court led scrum it would be Edinburgh.

:red:

P.S Had a look at the QF match again, Chris Henry take a bow, how that man wasn't penalised more often I'll never know. Some great cheating :thumleft:

:red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Big-al wrote:I'd give Court and McAllister a go, by a distance our most complete props remaining.

The Edinburgh scrum should hold no fears for Ulster.
I'd agree with that Al. Tom can do a job at TH at this level and especially if it is a dry day with fewer scrums, I'd have him in the 3 shirt.
Even on a dry day if our scrum is not a match and giving away penalties then all Embra do is get within range and knock on then kick the points
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Rooster - Maybe we've been watching different Edinburgh scrums this season?
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Edinburghs scrum should not be underestimated. They have a very good front row and back row.

I would start Macklin vs Connacht. They have an average scrum and if Macklin impresses, start him vs Leinster. If he looks out of his depth against Leinster, take him off at half time and bring McAllister on and switch TC across to TH.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Big-al wrote:I'd give Court and McAllister a go, by a distance our most complete props remaining.

The Edinburgh scrum should hold no fears for Ulster.
I'd agree with that Al. Tom can do a job at TH at this level and especially if it is a dry day with fewer scrums, I'd have him in the 3 shirt.
Even on a dry day if our scrum is not a match and giving away penalties then all Embra do is get within range and knock on then kick the points
While this is true, I am fairly sanguine our scrum can match them with Tom Court at tighthead. If not best them.
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Does anyone out there have any idea if Macklin is any use at all?

Has he played much club rugby? How did he do there?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

breakdown wrote:Edinburghs scrum should not be underestimated. They have a very good front row and back row.

I would start Macklin vs Connacht. They have an average scrum and if Macklin impresses, start him vs Leinster. If he looks out of his depth against Leinster, take him off at half time and bring McAllister on and switch TC across to TH.
Agree Breakdown, especially if Fitzy not fit and ready. If FItzy was fit, he'd be my choice at 3.
Two good loosies don't make a good 1 & 3 fss! Think people on here are underestimating the Embra front row. 3 internationals, Jacobsen is grizzled and had a low centre of gravity for a loosie, and can go low, get under an inexperienced T/H. Ford is a Lions hooker, so it's bollix for some to be so dismissive and complacent on here.
If it was Paddy mac versus Cross at loose, I'd be OK with it. TH is different, and Fitzy's a better option than TC here.
Exterminate all rational thought
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Nigel Brady at tighthead anyone?
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

bigchiefally wrote:Does anyone out there have any idea if Macklin is any use at all?

Has he played much club rugby? How did he do there?
Mackers is rated, and not just in the loose. However, he's not battle hardened, hasn't had much gametime, and is young for this level (22) He's a risk untested versus Jacobsen.
He has scrummed well when playing, and rarely looked in trouble imo, but usually late in a match, and often against beaten Packs- even one as nasty as Aironi's.
We've reaped what we've sown at TH this season- JA world class, but we have either injured or untried back-up.

Start Mackers versus Connacht, and lets see...
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We have time to get this sorted......
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Going to throw a bit of a cruve ball and suggest that if court starts at TH we start Black at LH, he is a better scrummager than McCallister and although he doesn't offer as much round the park i think a front row of black best and court would be very solid for the first 50, then bring McCallister on. Just can't help but feel that although Court isn't the strongest TH he would still be better than Macklin, imo the Ulster management must feel the same way since they tend bring Afoa of and shift Court across if big John needs a rest.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Isnt this chap Jacobson injured?
i am pie
Novice

Post by i am pie »

jacobsen - face injury ? Surely he'll be back in. With a mask on if needs be !