ATighthead Thread?Dont mind if I do, Make it a Poll?ah go on

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tighthead for Embra???

Deccy Fitz
35%
Macklin
37%
Court
28%

Total votes: 71

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

ATighthead Thread?Dont mind if I do, Make it a Poll?ah go on

Post by ColinM »

Lets see the consensus.

Tom Court: Out of practice except for having to step into a beaten Irish pack in HQ. Advantage of having two other fine looseheads in the squad.

Adam Macklin, inexperienced at this level, lacking in meaningful game time this season. Has he what it takes to step up? only the coaches know.

Wee fat Deccy, Good scrummager not a big presence around the park but hasnt packed down in anger since November. Can Ulster afford to bring him just for the scrums? Would he just get injured again if he played the next two games as a warmup?
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: ATighthead Thread?Dont mind if I do, Make it a Poll?ah g

Post by BuckRogers »

Has to be Deccy for his scrummaging. 60 minutes this week and as long as they can get out of him the following week and then get the prayer book out.

This is why Macklin should have been given a lot more time off the bench.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

BuckRogers wrote:Has to be Deccy for his scrummaging. 60 minutes this week and as long as they can get out of him the following week and then get the prayer book out.

+1. I voted Mackers based on potential, and the fact Fitzy's probably not fit. Leave TC at loose.
Exterminate all rational thought
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

Torn between Macklin and Court. For my money Deccie is too injury prone. I would have serious doubts about renewing his contract when its up.

Either McGlock trusts Macklin or he doesn't. If he doesn't then for me its Court to 3 and Paddy Mac to 1.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

I went for Macklin based on his potential as well. The guy is excellent in the loose and any time he has played and scrummaged he hasnt looked out of his depth. Connacht would be the perfect match for him to play in, it gets his chemistry with Court and Best up and lets him start a match against an average front row, which he will more than likely come out on top of and give him some confidence.

If he plays well, start him vs Leinster, let him contest against one of the best front rows, even if its a second choice Leinster one it is still very good. If he is struggling against Leinster, bring Paddy Mac on and move Court over at half time, and make the decision for the starting front row after that.

The only reason I wouldnt start Deccy Fitz is his fitness, if he had been playing AIL the whole time I would have no problem starting him, but since he's been out and no where near match fit, for me this is Macklins time to shine, show what hes made of and prove that he is the man to replace JA!!
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Macklin for me, has always scrummaged well and is good round the park. You could have Deccie on the bench if he is fit enough, but Macklin to start.
Duckjnr
Novice

Post by Duckjnr »

BuckRogers wrote:This is why Macklin should have been given a lot more time off the bench.

:salut:
NS
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Macklin, start him this week and next and have TC on the bench if he gets in big trouble, also Big John as water carrier to give him a few tips, if he is allowed on the pitch that is ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Very very hard one to call. If fit, then I'd go for Fitzy but can he get fit in time? Probably not.... The Glock doesn't seem to have much faith in Macklin - gets virtually no game time unless we're 20 points up....

I'm pretty certain he will punt on Court at tighthead with PaddyBigMac at loosy. A massive blow for us. I'd say after Ferris and Ruan, he's our most influential player.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Well said sir, Macklin needs to start against Connacht and depending on how he goes then against Leinster, as for Fitzy I would get shot off if he picks up anymore injuries, need to get Andress back and hope Mackers fulfills his potential. Fitzy is too injury prone, the best/worst time of all was when he got injured earlier in the season warming up with the rest of the subs :duh:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
horslips
Initiate

Post by horslips »

Is it still possible to add players to the squad as both Munster and Leinster have done in recent years. I would imagine the phone call would be something along the lines " Bout ye Rory it's Davy here ........ "
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

As i said in a previous thread i think Court will start, purely based on the fact that if Afoa was ever taken off Court was shifted across and P Mac came on. I would also be tempted to start Black, purely because hes a better scrummager than P Mac, who would come on at roughly the 50minute mark.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

scrum5 wrote:

Well said sir, Macklin needs to start against Connacht and depending on how he goes then against Leinster, as for Fitzy I would get shot off if he picks up anymore injuries, need to get Andress back and hope Mackers fulfills his potential. Fitzy is too injury prone, the best/worst time of all was when he got injured earlier in the season warming up with the rest of the subs :duh:
We should have resigned himn last season. Quality player and he may have had attitude problems when he was younger but he must have matured if he can play regulary for his club. Need him back for Ulster and Irelands sack.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

I went for deccy, I see I'm in the minority and now I'm maybe thinking Macklin might be the better option considering we have two games to work with first.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

would like to see Macklin given the games before the QF and Court left at LHP. could easily imagine Court at THP and Paddy Mac in though.