Back to Bread & Butter - Connacht Match

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

bigchiefally
Initiate

Re: Back to Bread & Butter - Connacht Match

Post by bigchiefally »

I think that team looks awful.

Jackson at inside centre? Not one of Tuohy or Muller in the 2nd row? Darcy at wing at not FB? Very weak looking back row.

Got to ask about Macklin - what is the point of him being in the squad if with 2 THs unavailable he isnt played even in a game the coach is clearly not that bothered about losing. If he doesnt start in this game does he ever?
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Back to Bread & Butter - Connacht Match

Post by Windeos »

bigchiefally wrote:I think that team looks awful.

Jackson at inside centre? Not one of Tuohy or Muller in the 2nd row? Darcy at wing at not FB? Very weak looking back row.

Got to ask about Macklin - what is the point of him being in the squad if with 2 THs unavailable he isnt played even in a game the coach is clearly not that bothered about losing. If he doesnt start in this game does he ever?
McGlock has clearly decided that Court is playing THP in the semi and therefore giving Court game time as our THP beforehand is a good idea.

I fail to see the problem with that. Is it really that bad giving Court 50/60mins with Macklin getting an extended run off the bench rather than a few token minutes.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackson at inside centre?
Has been playing 12 at Dungannon if I am not mistaken, perhaps he is a Paddy Wallace replacement more than a 10 ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Rooster wrote:

Has been playing 12 at Dungannon if I am not mistaken, perhaps he is a Paddy Wallace replacement more than a 10 ?
He is really quite a small lad. Even smaller than Paddy Wallace. He may get broader but I doubt he will get much taller, cant see him stopping the big 12s of the world on a regular basis.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Rooster wrote:

Nope, he's our next 10, they're just bedding him in there. Gannon only played him @ 12 a few times.
UlsterBok
Novice

Post by UlsterBok »

Terblanche is playing at fullback because they will be expecting a major kicking game from Connacht, and with Stefan possesing a monstrous boot he will be able to return with interest and also it might force Connacht to rethink that strategy if they do not accumulate as much territory as they would like.

I think the decision regarding Jackson isnt too bad. Dan Carter started off at 12. Playing at 10 is difficult enough for the best of the professionals, so putting him a position wider ensures that he can get more of the feel for the game and takes the heat off him a bit, whilst he can still learn at the same time allowing him the necessary learning experience without being in a critical decision making position as of yet. Once he is fully settled at that level shift him to 10.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Interesting enough side. Big Tom looked knackered V Munster. i wouldn't expect him on too long... I expected Whitten and Spence in the middle of the park but Jackson will certainly make things interesting.... Should be a very close game.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Connacht will have to fancy their chances.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Agree with you Ulsterbok, there is a lot of pressure at 10 so a good idea to give Jackson Rabo game time at 12. Plus Humph needs to improve his kicking from hand at 10 from the qf. Having ST at 15 is also good for consistency and because I feel Darcy will do well on the wing. Court at TH is a big call but I think it is best get him in there to see if he can perform.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Jackie Brown wrote:Some great Irish names in that backline... Come on Farrelly, get stuck in!
Look Jackie there may only be one NIQ in the team, but thats irrelevant, he is obviously holding back D'Arcy.

Mixed team selection, props are those who will play in Dublin; iHumph needs a confidence boost; Stefans only got a few games left in his career, may as well play. I'd have let Darcy play at the back though with ST at wing. Maybe they will line out like that but if not it looks like one of McLaughs wee selection faux pa's he was regularly throwing in last year and early this season... Same comments regarding the 12 shirt. Why not develop our 10's at 10 and our 12's at 12 just a thought.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UlsterBok wrote:Terblanche is playing at fullback because they will be expecting a major kicking game from Connacht, and with Stefan possesing a monstrous boot he will be able to return with interest and also it might force Connacht to rethink that strategy if they do not accumulate as much territory as they would like.
I would say he is there to shout instructions at the kids as much as anything else and keep them in position
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cornerfleg wrote:Meanwhile Hugh is busy, typing stick stuck firmly to his forehead, bashing out an indictment on Ulster Rugby as to why they are paying some Saffer hundreds of pounds to sit on the bench, whilst the Baa Baa's from out west slide under the radar doing various hakas before kick off.

Once again Stefan keeps 235 promising Irish full backs from getting game time.

Mon Hugh ... you know you want to!
I heard Ahoghill ladies minis have a great prospect coming through at full back, did you count her ? if not it's 236 he is holding back.
Rory Best
colwynvet
Novice

Post by colwynvet »

Might have been a bit unfair to throw Paddy J in at 10 for this game with so few experienced players around him. I think its fair enough to start him at 12. I'm sure he'll end up at 10 before the match is finished.
You don't know! You weren't there!
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Did you include Whitten as well? And Luke Marshall and Chris Farrell? 239 now
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Interesting team selection there. Eggs firmly placed in Court's basket for the Edinburgh game and Wilkinson and Healy will presumably give him a decent enough hit-out to see where he is at there, just hope he comes through unscathed. I'd possibly be more inclined to let Black get some game-time because IMO he is a much more experienced and technical scrummager than Paddy Mac which would take the some of the pressure off Court on the other side.

The selection of Jackson at 12 raises two issues for me. Is this simply Syd Millar throwing his weight about so that the Braidmen get a better chance of hobbling 'Gannon on Saturday or has Marshall regressed so much that the decision to give him a long-term deal now seems a little premature and Ulster are now clambering for alternative options? I hope its the latter rather than the former.

A much changed team no doubt but on paper they are more than a match for the Westies, lets just hope that they go out onto the pitch with belief and aggression rather than simply there making up the numbers. Its games like these that man-management is key to ensure that the players feel valued and that if they put in a big shift they have a chance to displace the incumbants in the starting line-up.

A win here with this team would be another huge result IMO though I think the mad-bar steward of the Westies will probably be a little too much unfortuately.