Idiots at the game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Idiots at the game

Post by Snipe Watson »

Totally pointless discussion.
That is why all flags except this one
should be banned
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

namron wrote:
daveysemtex wrote:It's time UR had some balls, either they are pro inclusion or not. I demand a statement telling fans 9 counties or UR official flags ONLY at all games from now on
That my dear boy is flag fascism.
Sometimes a bit of dictatorship is a good thing. Singapore isnt quite a dictatorship/fascist state but there are elements of it in there. Ordered, clean, profitable and some of the best food in the world, price of booze being one of few drawbacks. Pretty good place to live as a result of it :D

As for banning other flags, I am not sure I agree with that. I would though like to see Ulster rugby issue a statement asking for fans to bring Ulster specific flags.

"Ulster rugby is privileged to cross national and social borders and is equally proud of its Northern Irish and Republic of Irish elements. We are one Province regardless of nationality, colour or creed. Ulster rugby welcomes all vociferous support but may we ask our loyal supporters, in a spirit of inclusiveness, if you are bringing a flag to consider only bringing an Ulster flag? Many thanks! Regards, Dr Dave, the fit controller, and Bigchiefallys former PE Teacher. "

Now, where is that 100k a year PR job?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

petey11 wrote:
"My only bugbear would be the Northern Ireland flags waving about but in fairness they are red and white and there were only about half a dozen"
That comment itself proves exactly what I'm talking about. It's that GAA fan's own petty bitterness that made him feel the need to make that comment about a few flags. Maybe if his first choice of sport was a little more inclusive he'd not have noticed.
No it doesn't - you have missed the point by miles. A GAA fan makes an incredibly positive post about Ulster Rugby on a GAA board and all you can do is accuse him of "petty bitterness".
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Samstew wrote: I'm a bit of "what the majority of what people want goes" type of person and until the views and choices of that majority change, then that's what we go with.
I'm afraid I'm not much up on appeasing the few for the sake of the many!
Why does using flags that everyone can associate with have to be at the cost of the many? Being inclusive doesn't mean anyone has to be put out. And it's hardly "appeasing the few" we're talking about here, my assumption is everyone discussing on this thread is an Ulster Rugby fan.

Look, it's good to have these arguments, but thankfully there are plenty who have realised that a shift is needed - away from union flags and crowns, and towards flags that represent all.
Seamus
Novice

Post by Seamus »

petey11 wrote:Anyone who is so offended by a red and white flag that they would never follow Ulster Rugby is, in my opinion, better off staying away. There are those who will always judge others by their own standards and attempt to bring politics into the innocent (or maybe naive) waving of a flag in your support of your rugby team. It may mean something in the round balled games but our rugby won't be so easily politicised. If you find offence mainly due to your own petty bigotries or simply because you spend your life looking for offence then kindly do stay away from rugby. I've never met a rugby fan who felt any such offence so lets keep the politics out of our game.

"My only bugbear would be the Northern Ireland flags waving about but in fairness they are red and white and there were only about half a dozen"
That comment itself proves exactly what I'm talking about. It's that GAA fan's own petty bitterness that made him feel the need to make that comment about a few flags. Maybe if his first choice of sport was a little more inclusive he'd not have noticed.
You're living in a dream world. Rugby is part of society so it has to deal with the issues in society itself. One of those is flags and emblems and anthems and everything that goes with them.
As for your comment on the GAA fan's "petty bitterness", your final sentence puts you in that category.
Last edited by Seamus on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

mikerob wrote:
petey11 wrote:
No it doesn't - you have missed the point by miles. A GAA fan makes an incredibly positive post about Ulster Rugby on a GAA board and all you can do is accuse him of "petty bitterness".
+1 mikerob

Sort yourself out peteywetey. Looks like someone has a bugbear about GAA...
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

ruckover wrote:The flegs allowed should be:
1. The provincial fleg (yellow one)
2. Any fleg with the Ulster Rugby logo
3. Any fleg that is the nationality of the player on our team (e.g. Saffer fleg, NZ fleg)
4. Any red fleg (e.g. the Tunisia one the 2BC bring)
No others, or that could cause problems.

So, the Union Flag for British subjects then. Or the N.I. flag for those who might deem themselves to be Norn Irish.

People should wave whatever feckin' flags they think will be an enhancement to the team and atmosphere provided they are not not illegal, offensive or inciting any loonytoon gobshytes to extremes. This is Northern Ireland. Why should anyone object to anyone else flying it's flag. Reverse bigotry it seems. If you don't like what others want to use, don't look. I have a holiday home in Donegal. I'm perfectly comfortable with whatever coloured cloth it's other residents want to fly, wave, display or attach to the rear end of a cow if they so desire. In fact I don't think it's ever entered my mind to even think about it.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

mikerob wrote:
Samstew wrote: I certainly have no problem with the Union flag at any event which, collectively or otherwise, includes participants from Eng, Sco, NI or Wales.
Yeah but a "majority goes" approach should mean the England flag, not the Union flag :wink:
Mike, if yoou want to fly the England flag at, say the Olympics for example, you go ahead.
I can't see you upsetting anyone there.
They are, as people should be, less touchy about these sort of things :wink:
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

petey11 wrote:Anyone who is so offended by a red and white flag that they would never follow Ulster Rugby is, in my opinion, better off staying away.
Yeah but Pete ask yourself, how many of us Ulster fans from the unionist side of the tracks get, even for the briefest of seconds, a little annoyed that the tricolour is seen as the flag of Irish rugby and feel slightly excluded because of it? It might be silly to feel so, but a lot of us succumb to this occasionally.

With that in mind if I had grown up "on the other side" of the NI divide, or possibly in an Ulster ROI county, would it not be reasonable to expect the same slight unease/annoyance with the NI flag being flown for Ulster rugby, again even only for a second or two before their rational side kicks in?

I dont think the type of person who so vehemently hates the idea of the NI flag that they would never set foot anywhere near Ravenhill is our target audience. I'd say that most of this lot are bigots and we are better off without them. I am convinced though there is a much much larger group of moderate nationalists who we should be doing everything in our power to convince to come to games. They come to a couple and like the GAA fan mentioned in the post they suddenly dont think the place is "foreign soil". Heck, they come to enough games and they would realise that espescially at Ravenhill if someone is waving a NI flag they arent doing it to be provocative, they are doing it just like Joe Munster does when he brings a tricolour to an Ireland game. Just waving it to support the team.

Its that initial sceptiscm and perception we need to get through and the flag issue does matter.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Out of interest, anyone fancy offering a defense of the flying of a union flag at Thomond Park last week? Anyone think it was anything other then provocative and idiotic?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

OneMore wrote:
mikerob wrote:
petey11 wrote:
+1 mikerob

Sort yourself out peteywetey. Looks like someone has a bugbear about GAA...
If he wants, Pete has the right to have an issue with the GAA, if indeed he does. Many people do have a problem.
They cannot be compared with any other sporting organisation as they are by definition a cultural/political/sporting organisation. Their quasi political status opens the door for Pete to have an issue.
How can we declare our desire to see rugby as a neutral sport and then defend the ambiguous GAA position?
The GAA need to wake up and smell the coffee.
But, but , but............they support the Police............ Big tickle
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

OneMore wrote:Out of interest, anyone fancy offering a defense of the flying of a union flag at Thomond Park last week? Anyone think it was anything other then provocative and idiotic?
Defend the indefensible?
Don’t think so. He is an idiot.
Seamus
Novice

Post by Seamus »

bigchiefally wrote:
petey11 wrote:Anyone who is so offended by a red and white flag that they would never follow Ulster Rugby is, in my opinion, better off staying away.
Yeah but Pete ask yourself, how many of us Ulster fans from the unionist side of the tracks get, even for the briefest of seconds, a little annoyed that the tricolour is seen as the flag of Irish rugby and feel slightly excluded because of it? It might be silly to feel so, but a lot of us succumb to this occasionally.

With that in mind if I had grown up "on the other side" of the NI divide, or possibly in an Ulster ROI county, would it not be reasonable to expect the same slight unease/annoyance with the NI flag being flown for Ulster rugby, again even only for a second or two before their rational side kicks in?

I dont think the type of person who so vehemently hates the idea of the NI flag that they would never set foot anywhere near Ravenhill is our target audience. I'd say that most of this lot are bigots and we are better off without them. I am convinced though there is a much much larger group of moderate nationalists who we should be doing everything in our power to convince to come to games. They come to a couple and like the GAA fan mentioned in the post they suddenly dont think the place is "foreign soil". Heck, they come to enough games and they would realise that espescially at Ravenhill if someone is waving a NI flag they arent doing it to be provocative, they are doing it just like Joe Munster does when he brings a tricolour to an Ireland game. Just waving it to support the team.

Its that initial sceptiscm and perception we need to get through and the flag issue does matter.
Absolutely right. This is a real world issue and has to be addressed that way :salut:
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Samstew wrote:
mikerob wrote:
Samstew wrote: I certainly have no problem with the Union flag at any event which, collectively or otherwise, includes participants from Eng, Sco, NI or Wales.
Yeah but a "majority goes" approach should mean the England flag, not the Union flag :wink:
Mike, if yoou want to fly the England flag at, say the Olympics for example, you go ahead.
I can't see you upsetting anyone there.
They are, as people should be, less touchy about these sort of things :wink:

They are Grown-ups. Too many people on this Island will go miles out of their way to be offended.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
Mummer
Novice

Post by Mummer »

:red:
Attachments
Bloody flegs again.jpg
Bloody flegs again.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 303 times