AIL FIXTURES

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

gannonman
Steward

Re: AIL FIXTURES

Post by gannonman »

He was pushed out of the team so Jackson, Gaston and Cochrane could start and that would have been of the order of UR. Don't know if rugby if a priority for Duhig or not and whether it would influence his decision to move next year.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
RedWhiteKnight
Novice

Post by RedWhiteKnight »

Surely though Dungannonn (and other clubs) have some sort of say as to who they pick for their team? I mean, if Lawton has done so well, even with being left out of the squad for the first part of the season, Dungannon would perhaps be in an even better position in the league? By the way, what's happened to Chris Farrell?! Watched him play for the 20's in the 6 nations but hasn't featured for you guys since last year if I'm correct?
If ya ain't first, you're last!
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

RedWhiteKnight wrote:Surely though Dungannonn (and other clubs) have some sort of say as to who they pick for their team? I mean, if Lawton has done so well, even with being left out of the squad for the first part of the season, Dungannon would perhaps be in an even better position in the league? By the way, what's happened to Chris Farrell?! Watched him play for the 20's in the 6 nations but hasn't featured for you guys since last year if I'm correct?
Where would Farrell fit in? i am sure I read he was injured. From what I hear Lawtom has the ability but can be a bit flaky sometimes in defence. Are you saying that due to Lawton not starting Dungannon have blown it. Don't know the kid at all only what I read and hear but surely the coaches know him better than you and me, well unless your his Da or something. Coaches coach and make unpopular decision as they always see a bigger or better picture,players play its that simple in my books. Maybe I am old school and an internet campaign to get a cap is the modern way. I am almost certain that if Lawton was needed by the Ravens etc they would ask and he would be allowed to go. On the other hand them in charge of academy may just not rate him and you should be asking them why :thumright: if I coached Ballymena McIlroy would never be in the team as is all about him.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

RedWhiteKnight wrote:Surely though Dungannonn (and other clubs) have some sort of say as to who they pick for their team? I mean, if Lawton has done so well, even with being left out of the squad for the first part of the season, Dungannon would perhaps be in an even better position in the league? By the way, what's happened to Chris Farrell?! Watched him play for the 20's in the 6 nations but hasn't featured for you guys since last year if I'm correct?
I would think Fitzy picks who he thinks is best at the time and is available, remember IRFU and Uster branch can say no to useing any players they have a vested interest in hence U20 and other academy players don't play some weeks because they are not released to the clubs or even taken from the clubs at the last minute, not easy for a coach of an AIL side to know what to do at times during the week as regards team selections.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
RedWhiteKnight
Novice

Post by RedWhiteKnight »

I'm sure Farrell would fit in anywhere as he is in the academy and they seem to get preference over 'regular' players. Please don't think I'm saying that Dungannons current league position is all down to him playing the latter part of the season, but it has made a difference. His goal kicking and try scoring abilities have helped secure valuable victories for them. Obviously it takes a hell of a lot more people and players to help get them in the position they are in. You would expect Dungannon to win at the weekend, and Quins to slip up, so Dungannon could win the league.

On another note, I heard that the IRFU have done away with the All Ireland play offs? I remember watching them on RTE last season when Clontarf threw away their chance of reaching the final in the last play of the game! Does anyone know why or if it's even true?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Not sure about the play offs. I heard today that the Branch is encouraging teams travelling to Dublin for the Ulster game to to go to St Marys and support Ballymena in the Bateman Cup, they will even refund the clubs for the cost of the bus!. and
RTE are showing the game live as well, Stark contrast to last season when Dungannon were playing Bruff ! good that they know their place :stir: . I hope Ballymena win ( my Club) but i fear we are not up to the challange and with all the off field politics going on there is lots of distractions.

RWK where would you play Farrell ?and who would you put on the bench Lawton?, from what i have read all the back line not in the Academy etc are as good as them.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
RedWhiteKnight
Novice

Post by RedWhiteKnight »

Really? Jeeze, you wouldn't have even known Dungannon were playing in it last season! How come it's going to be back on RTE again if it wasn't last season? I still tho I it's daft having that game on a H-Cup weekend, think it was the same last season too!

Well seeing as Farrell is a centre it would have to be a centre that is dropped if they wanted to get the best use out of him. Lawton is Gannon's top points scorer and their best goal kicker so in my opinion taking him off would seem stupid, that's just my opinion though. Saying all that, everyone in that backline more than deserve their place so it would be a tough decision..perhaps start him on the bench and bring him on after a certain period? Would he fit in on Ballymena team?
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

I went down to last years final and was disappointed it was not televised. Enjoyable day out but a pretty poor performance from the guys that day. Good luck to Ballymena in the final. Some talented players there. I was particularly impressed with the right wing who is moving to Canada in the summer. Frazer is it? Farrell is injured at the moment so that is why he has not featured but with McCloskey and McKenzie in the centre we don't really miss him that much to be honest. Very talented player but we have plenty of cover and that is the main reason we won the Ulster Senior League. When players like Edger and O'Shea are kept out the the starting 15 you know who have a lot of strength. It has been a very enjoyable season and a nice change from the usual relegation scraps we used to have when Division 1 was whole. Hoping for the win on Saturday against UCD who also need the victory. Keeping a close eye on the bottom of 1A in case we have to have a play off. About the play off's I wouldn't know what the IRFU are doing they change it every year and have never settled their minds on it.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
RedWhiteKnight
Novice

Post by RedWhiteKnight »

Yes, what about young Egner? Haven't seen his name on the team sheet in a while, on even on the bench? I see Macklin, Porter and McCombe have all been included in the ulster squad, could be the difference as to who wins the league.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

i can still see McCombe, Porter and Macklin going to Limerick after the game to be available for quins. Tey did that earlier in the season against bucs
Bill
Novice

Post by Bill »

Good luck to Quins and Gannon tomorrow in the final round of AIL league fixtures of the current season, and lets hope we can have strong Ulster representation in the top flight of domestic rugby in Ireland next season.

To all the players who have been mentioned over the last lot of months on this forum (and those who haven't) get out there and play your hearts out and give us all something to cheer and brag about at home and abroad come tea time.

And finally to Ards, you've been here before so you know what you've got to do.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

does anyone else notice when hinch get beat they never update their website with the match report. why is that???
RedWhiteKnight
Novice

Post by RedWhiteKnight »

What happened 'Gannon yesterday? And Quins too, at least they still get a play off spot though. Was hoping for a double Ulster promotion into 1A! Anyone on here down at either game?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Job done by Shannon winning 28-3 against Dolphin in Musgrave to finish third from bottom.

Cons did all they could to send Shannon into a relegation play off by losing at home to Belvo. Not that they'd lose on purpose of course. :)

Mary's win the league with a hard fought victory over 14 man Young Munster.

UL Bohs with a mighty win to send them back up to the top flight and now the only thing is will it be Belvo or Belfast Harlequins taking the last spot.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I find it extraordinary that the relegation of Wanderers out of the AIL has got no media coverage.
A founding member of the IRFU and one of the handful of oldest clubs in Ireland which was the favourite to win the inaugural AIL in 1990 is no longer a senior club.
Their replacement by the return of Skerries, a community club, speaks volumes for the beneficial changes in Irish rugby.
Wanderers dined off the work of lesser and junior clubs throughout their history and didn't ever need to develop talent.
They have now paid the ultimate price.
Having over a hundred internationals on your club records counts for nothing any more and that's the way it should be.
Still, it is sad.
Any takers for their large tract of land between Merrion Road and Shrewsbury Road in D 4? (Equivalent of Malone Road, I suppose, for you guys)