The 10 Shirt

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Who starts at 10 next week?

Ian Humph
33%
Wee Paddy
67%
St. Ruan
No votes

Total votes: 100

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: The 10 Shirt

Post by Bart S »

CIMAN - I could be wrong but I thought that Sexton (a) had more experience (albeit at 12 maybe) than Paddy J and (b) that the decision was in part "forced" because of an injury to Contepomi.

One thing Hump has is big game experience and we may not have beaten Clermont at home and even be in this position if it wasn't for him.

I'd probably still just go for him although can see both sides of the argument. I just don't think it's a slam dunk to change a team which won at Thomond in order to pick a guy who has played a decent game and a half in the Rabo. I'm not knocking paddy J, just saying it's a huge call.

I'll be getting 100% behind whichever one is picked as soon as the selection is made!
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bart S wrote:CIMAN - I could be wrong but I thought that Sexton (a) had more experience (albeit at 12 maybe) than Paddy J and (b) that the decision was in part "forced" because of an injury to Contepomi.

One thing Hump has is big game experience and we may not have beaten Clermont at home and even be in this position if it wasn't for him.

I'd probably still just go for him although can see both sides of the argument. I just don't think it's a slam dunk to change a team which won at Thomond in order to pick a guy who has played a decent game and a half in the Rabo. I'm not knocking paddy J, just saying it's a huge call.

I'll be getting 100% behind whichever one is picked as soon as the selection is made!
Bart- a & b both true. Imo however, c) PJ decision is forced because of IH loss of form, which forces our hand. It's almost as if some of us on here are afraid to make the change, as if it's an ill omen or portent, rather than purely on form. I believe PJ is the stronger option, especially if RP and PW play.
"We won wIth IH, the Gods will curse us if we change." We won Despite IH on most occasions during the HEC qualifiers..let's get over the Clermont try- D'arcy did the lions share to make it, although IH finished it well.
PJ is kicking well, as is RP... PJ finding touch, distributing well etc etc etc. Seems like the only argument seems to be "experience" by everyone here.

To me, only changes should be:

DF for J Afoa
PJ for IH.

But I agree, we should support whoever starts. :red:
Exterminate all rational thought
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Agree with you CIM. PJ is the best option and he does seem like a confident young guy and hasnt looked too bothered when ever he has played.

Also, PJ has more experience playing at the Aviva than iHumph does :lol: :wink:
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

am i right in saying in rugby you are only as good as your last game, or would it be your last season?
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

The 10 Shirt

Post by shamalicious »

I'm really 50/50 about this one. I'd be an iHumph defender but his form this season has been so disappointing. PJ has shown he has cajones and he doesn't seem to be fazed by the big boys either. Better defensively than iHumph by a country mile but I do worry about him being thrown in for our biggest game in 13 years with little game time in the starting XV. iHumph has experience in the big games, but PJ has no fear. It's a really tough call.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mikerob wrote:Ulster's problems at 10 go back even to when DH *was* playing. IMO he went on for a couple of seasons when he was well past his best and the memories of some absolute 'mares he had at the time tend to fade.... not that there was a viable alternative at the time either.
You have answered the question posed by your own post before any of us could jump on it. :salut: Doc Dave was the best we had, simple as that.

Its easy for any of us to criticise in hindsight but the reality is there was no appetite to change anything at UR at that stage least of all the local hero & Doc Dave has been the main local hero of the pro era & still is with his superb recruitment.

Not having a go by the way, think you are close enough about Doc's last year or so when father time was catching up - that said I loved watching him ........ usually.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Innocent
Novice

Post by Innocent »

Paddy has to start - there's no risk! Hes playing well, doesnt seem to fear anyone! Hump hasn't turned up all season ... Why oh why did he get a 3 year deal?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

breakdown wrote:Agree with you CIM. PJ is the best option and he does seem like a confident young guy and hasnt looked too bothered when ever he has played.

Also, PJ has more experience playing at the Aviva than iHumph does or is likely to have :lol: :wink:
Fixed :wink:
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

breakdown wrote:Agree with you CIM. PJ is the best option and he does seem like a confident young guy and hasnt looked too bothered when ever he has played.

Also, PJ has more experience playing at the Aviva than iHumph does :lol: :wink:
Aye, he certainly had his eye in that. Knocking them over from all angles for fun.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

browner wrote:PJ definitely put his hand up but you'd need some set of swingers to select him for such a game...i expect it to be Humph.
That's how I see it and how I expect it to be selected, I just happy to see that in a strong team against the leagues strongest opponents PJ looked very comfortable, not perfect but when is the last time Ulster played a perfect 10?

Ruck, take your point about Humph & Small BUT I wouldn't rule it out. What both have is bags of pace, I can see them causing a bit of havoc late in games but of course in every game, barring rotation I'd never want to see Ruan off, unrealistic as that may be.

On the general point of McGlock being conservative, I'm not sure I know any coach who is anything other than conservative in selection unless he has either a huge squad of talented players or is called Marc Lievremont....... or in his case both.

Incidentally I don't buy into this "one bad game could ruin a career" theory, just an excuse not to bite the bullet - you know, that bullet I don;t expect to see bitten. :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

darkside lightside wrote:Jackson - the better player, playing better, what more do we need to discuss?
Reality ?????????????
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
mikerob wrote:Ulster's problems at 10 go back even to when DH *was* playing. IMO he went on for a couple of seasons when he was well past his best and the memories of some absolute 'mares he had at the time tend to fade.... not that there was a viable alternative at the time either.
You have answered the question posed by your own post before any of us could jump on it. :salut: Doc Dave was the best we had, simple as that.

Its easy for any of us to criticise in hindsight but the reality is there was no appetite to change anything at UR at that stage least of all the local hero & Doc Dave has been the main local hero of the pro era & still is with his superb recruitment.

Not having a go by the way, think you are close enough about Doc's last year or so when father time was catching up - that said I loved watching him ........ usually.
Highlight of that season was watching the Doc come off the bench against Leinster with about 20 to go. Played a blinder and engineered a fine comeback securing the draw with the last kick.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

Prediction..... Paddy will play and IHump will not even make the bench....... :o
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

IH will start and PJ will warm the bench and stay their unless we get in trouble, i don't mind who starts out of the two we are still going to win on saturday.
ulster32
Novice

Post by ulster32 »

Heard on Tuesday evening from a reliable source that paddy has the 10 shirt :thumright: