Flags for Aviva

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Flags for Aviva

Post by Snipe Watson »

He couldn't spell Mike when he was dandering along singing to himself post match yesterday.

The Flegs issue was dead and burried as far as the players were concerned yesterday. The photo shoot post match at the tunnel entrance featured only one fleg and it wasn't yellow.........
Cascade
Novice

Post by Cascade »

Before the match I was acosted for carrying my yella fleg. Some bloke, lets call him snowball and his (fish)wife, who we'll call fenella, went out of their way to call me over and give me a roasting that I shouldn't have an O'Neills flag, but should have an Ulster fleg. I can only assume they meant the Ulster banner. We exchanged words :argue: where they informed me it was a six county team and I walked away stating that's his opinion, but was still getting abuse so I had to call the ># bluff and square upto him, despite him being in his 50's (his son saw sense and made sure the situation didn't end up with his ol man needing a trip to casualty). So, to anyone in the vacinity of Jack Ryans, I apologise for the excessive use of the C word, the F word and the I'll rip you're ># head off words, but sometimes you have to educate these people and ensure they know just exactly what they are. I've flown all manner of flegs in the past, but this banker means the yella fleg will get the twickenham starting place, although I was planning for the red and white one to get an airing. I don't expect to see him there, too far away and with him needing two seats on the plane and no doubt I'll not see him at Ravenhill next year either, with a Monaghan man on the wing.

Oh and in the unlikely event he's on the forum, think yourself lucky, next time you may not be so fortunate.
Last edited by Cascade on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Seen one gobshite with a Norn Iron flag with the union jack in the corner, looked like a blow in though, not a real fan.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Flags for Aviva

Post by shamalicious »

Plenty of blow ins alright. I too saw the same Norn Iron with Union Jack fleg on a kid. And walking from the match some drunken idiot kept saying (in reference to my SA fleg) "Jamaica have a bobsleigh team ya know? What are your views on that?" which we duly ignored.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

the stewards wouldnt let me take my big yellow flags into the ground, stood argueing with them for awhile until some nice garda lad came up and said just snap a bit of the bottom and it will be no problem, the shut the power hunry steward up nicely. sadly i need new poles again though.

plenty of gobshite blow ins at the match, but 95% of people where sound.

you see plenty of 6 counties flags at away matches as its all people can source, or they are what they already had for going to NI football matches.
Why? Why not?
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

don't have any issue with the ulster flag with union fleg in the corner. however, i did see a fella with just a union fleg.... but that was cancelled out by an older gent with a tricolour who I think was at the match - so all even?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
crazyhorse
Novice

Post by crazyhorse »

Snipe Watson wrote:He couldn't spell Mike when he was dandering along singing to himself post match yesterday.

The Flegs issue was dead and burried as far as the players were concerned yesterday. The photo shoot post match at the tunnel entrance featured only one fleg and it wasn't yellow.........
I avoid the flags debates like the plague normally but my view as someone comfortable with multiple identities Northern Irish/Ulsterman/Irish is the team need to be a bit more thoughtful about these kinds of photoshoots and try to be more inclusive. I noticed Paddy Jackson had a yellow Ulster flag walking round the pitch. Don't know what happened to it but it would have been appropriate (given the number of supporters who identify with it) and politically speaking intelligent if it had featured in the team photos at the end of a great victory. I'm one of those who are happy to see both flags but will be bringing the Ulster Rubgy team flag to Twickenham.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Does it really matter what flag people use? I seen no Union Jacks yesterday and only seen one Tricolour from where I was sitting, there were a few NI flags and Ulster flags, but that's where we are from and our national flag so whats the problem? A game is a game and people can fly whatever flegs they want, be it Norn Iron flag, Tricolour, Ulster flag or Saffer flag.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Thought the mix of flags worked pretty well - certainly looked great and the white wans were a great addition.

There were a few numpties about but what can you do?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

There were 4 fairly drunk lads sitting behind me, funny at times but where abusing the players, Court inparticular when they could and shouting at Poite. Don't think they could have strung a sentence together without swearing, which could tiresome.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

fuzzylogic wrote:Seen one gobshite with a Norn Iron flag with the union jack in the corner, looked like a blow in though, not a real fan.
In my section, along with another bunch of tools who were coaching the kid with them to boo the Jocks. "Ulster till I die" was the chant of choice, and a suggestion that it patently didn't apply on rainy December evenings when the lads are playing Treviso won me no friends. Ho-hum.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Thought the Embra kicks were pretty well observed all things considering.

The Embra lads were very dignified in defeat considering how gutted they must have felt and I appreciated them taking the time to applaud the Ulster fans on their lap. Our section gave them a wee rendition of Flower of Scotland.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big andy
Novice

Post by big andy »

We waved our yella and Norn Iron flags with pride...

The stewards outside the Aviva are dicks. I had to give up a pole on my Norn Iron flag and the steward tried to take my second yella flag of me untill my friend stepped in, grabbed the flag of me and walked down the road towards the ground. Steward said the gards would take it of me at the stadium, didn't happen. Hitlers.
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

shamalicious wrote:Plenty of blow ins alright. I too saw the same Norn Iron with Union Jack fleg on a kid. And walking from the match some drunken idiot kept saying (in reference to my SA fleg) "Jamaica have a bobsleigh team ya know? What are your views on that?" which we duly ignored.
Why did you bring a South Africa flag?
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

breakdown wrote:Does it really matter what flag people use? I seen no Union Jacks yesterday and only seen one Tricolour from where I was sitting, there were a few NI flags and Ulster flags, but that's where we are from and our national flag so whats the problem? A game is a game and people can fly whatever flegs they want, be it Norn Iron flag, Tricolour, Ulster flag or Saffer flag.
Quite right.

As long as there is nothing offensive about the flag, or even nothing offensive on it, just what is the problem?

Seems a few people have wet panties and think they are some kind of flag police.