Flags for Aviva

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

promenader
Novice

Re: Flags for Aviva

Post by promenader »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Ithryn wrote: you see plenty of 6 counties flags at away matches as its all people can source, or they are what they already had for going to NI football matches.
The team had a load of Northern Ireland flags on the pitch at the end. Nothing else
1F, Rory, ST, P3, DC, Dan and several others draped in them and not a yella fleg in sight.
Not true. Paddy Jackson walked around with a yellow Ulster flag around his shoulders.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

shamalicious wrote:It's sadly just a fact here that certain flags have to potential to offend or appear to make a political statement and in a sport which thankfully has little/ no associated sectarianism, it'd perhaps be better to see flags that don't have those connotations IMHO.
It would indeed.

The simple fact is that Ireland is a politicised society. Flags are highly political and everyone has their flag of choice. The white flag, the yellow flag and the tricolour all have political connotations.
The IRFU do not have the guts to cut out the use of the tricolour and the yellow flag for Ireland so the obvious retort is the NI flag gets wheeled out by people who see that the IRFU hide behind the fact that the NI flag is not official. They do not want to recognise the existence of NI.
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

promenader wrote: Not true. Paddy Jackson walked around with a yellow Ulster flag around his shoulders.
It was tucked to his waist when I saw him, not that it matters.

It's hardly a problem though is it? It's a flag. He's free to use whatever he wants. Don't let it upset you.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

UIBF wrote:
OneMore wrote:Had the unfortunate experience of seeing not only the NI flag with union flag in upper left corner, but also the NI/Israel combination flag.
OMG. Are you OK? Do you need a hug?
OneMore wrote:Maybe there were a lot of people who felt they just had to raid their 12th of July flag box, but there's no need. Poor show.
What is your issue with the Union Flag?
Okay, I'm going to make this as straightforward as I can. It would appear that you are either very slow, or pretending to be very slow.

In our province (Ulster), there are certain emblems which are seen as controversial. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
Images of crowns
The flag of the Irish Republic (herein referred to as "the tricolour")
The flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (herein referred to as "the union flag")
The flag of Northern Ireland (herein referred to as "the NI flag")

Because of the controversial nature of some emblems, a lot of Ulster fans believe that it would be best if we didn't have any of them flown or on display at Ulster matches.

Do you really not understand that the NI flag, the union flag, and the Israel flag may be seen as controversial and unrepresentative of Ulster Rugby?

I think there is a time and a place for the union flag. Ulster rugby matches is not one of them. Our rugby team is a provincial side of sorts, it is certainly not a Northern Ireland team.
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

UIBF wrote:
promenader wrote: Not true. Paddy Jackson walked around with a yellow Ulster flag around his shoulders.
It was tucked to his waist when I saw him, not that it matters.

It's hardly a problem though is it? It's a flag. He's free to use whatever he wants. Don't let it upset you.
Why would it upset me? :scratch:
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

tayside wrote:Read these forums a lot don't usually post especially not on these so-called flag debates but this time I will. Some of the postings people make about blow-ins and football fans on this forum really is just snobbery disguised. I grew up playing football went to a grammar school and then was converted to rugby on the playing front anyway. Before I moved to University in Scotland I would make 5 or 6 games a season at Ravenhill, was a season ticket holder at Linfield and a Northern Ireland Block-booker. It is possible to do all three you know. People should be allowed to bring whatever flag they want as long as it is not offensive. White, yellow, red who really cares? We are there to watch a sporting game not worry about what flag the guy next to you is waving.

This Heineken Campaign I have managed to make it to Leicester home and away and down to Limerick. Couldn't make yesterday due to lack of funds and exams but I had already tickets purchased for London. Everyone should stop going on about flags, blow-ins and whatever else. We are in a Heineken Final for goodness sake. We are getting a great ground refurbishment as well, which if we want filled will be with people who watch other sports or could be described as blow-ins. I just hope they don't read some of the idiotic comments on here.
I agree that there is a lot of snobbery amongst rugby fans. I don't think we mean it like that. It's not that we don't want people who follow football to follow Ulster too, we'd love all the footy fans to start supporting Ulster. We'd just prefer that some of the things deemed acceptable at football matches didn't make it to rugby matches. It's not the people are the issue, but we want to keep Ravenhill a place where families can come, where we're respectful of the opposition and where we don't adopt a "win at any cost" attitude.
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

OneMore wrote: Okay, I'm going to make this as straightforward as I can. It would appear that you are either very slow, or pretending to be very slow.
I appreciate you doing this so much. Thanks.

OneMore wrote: In our province (Ulster), there are certain emblems which are seen as controversial. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
Images of crowns
The flag of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (herein referred to as "the union flag")
Sure some folk see the yellow flag as controversial. Are you saying it should be added to the flag police's list.
OneMore wrote: Do you really not understand that the NI flag, the union flag, and the Israel flag may be seen as controversial and unrepresentative of Ulster Rugby?
The Isreali flag is a strange one. Not sure of the team connection. Perhaps a player willy check is order.

We're a Northern Ireland based team, with players mostly from NI. Strangely they don't seem to have an issue with the NI flag.
OneMore wrote:I think there is a time and a place for the union flag. Ulster rugby matches is not one of them.
Says who? The flag police? It's a flag - relax.
OneMore wrote:Our rugby team is a provincial side of sorts, it is certainly not a Northern Ireland team.
Our rugby team is a professional team based in Belfast, Northern Ireland. It's open to all comers - if it wasn't, we wouldn't be in the final.
Last edited by UIBF on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

OneMore wrote:[
Okay, I'm going to make this as straightforward as I can. It would appear that you are either very slow, or pretending to be very slow.

In our province (Ulster), there are certain emblems which are seen as controversial. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
Images of crowns

Because of the controversial nature of some emblems, a lot of Ulster fans believe that it would be best if we didn't have any of them flown or on display at Ulster matches.

Do you really not understand that the NI flag, the union flag, and the Israel flag may be seen as controversial and unrepresentative of Ulster Rugby?

I think there is a time and a place for the union flag. Ulster rugby matches is not one of them. Our rugby team is a provincial side of sorts, it is certainly not a Northern Ireland team.
Onemore , have you ever considered that there are Ulster fans who have been going to Ravenhill for many years who would consider the yellow so-called Ulster provincial flag as controversial? This is a flag which until fairly recently was seen only at GAA matches, Republican parades and IRA funerals.
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

promenader wrote: Why would it upset me? :scratch:
Agreed, why would a flag upset anyone.

Good to have you on board. :cheers:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UIBF wrote:
promenader wrote: Why would it upset me? :scratch:
Agreed, why would a flag upset anyone.
Fairly stupid question.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

moondance wrote:
OneMore wrote:[

Images of crowns

Onemore , have you ever considered that there are Ulster fans who have been going to Ravenhill for many years who would consider the yellow so-called Ulster provincial flag as controversial? This is a flag which until fairly recently was seen only at GAA matches, Republican parades and IRA funerals.
To my limited knowledge, the yellow flag has been the provincial flag for quite some time. I wasn't aware that people saw it as controversial.

I think your use of the word "recently" is a little misleading here. I could similarly say "This is a flag which was only seen at GAA matches, Republican parades and IRA funerals recently. It has been used to represent the province for hundreds of years."
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

OneMore wrote:To my limited knowledge, the yellow flag has been the provincial flag for quite some time. I wasn't aware that people saw it as controversial.

I think your use of the word "recently" is a little misleading here. I could similarly say "This is a flag which was only seen at GAA matches, Republican parades and IRA funerals recently. It has been used to represent the province for hundreds of years."
Ok, I'll rephrase it - This is a flag which until fairly recently in Northern Ireland was seen only at GAA matches, Republican parades and IRA funerals. I don't think there was a single yellow flag at Lansdowne Road in 1999, only a sea of white and red.

And your source for the yellow flag dating back hundreds of years as a provincial emblem is? Any official status?

Any views on the Cross of Saint Patrick? A flag considered as unacceptable by republicans.
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

OneMore wrote: To my limited knowledge, the yellow flag has been the provincial flag for quite some time. I wasn't aware that people saw it as controversial.

Your homework should include some research on the nine county ulster flag and the crest on it.

I had you down as a flag guru too. Flag guru list updated accordingly.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

I'll start waving the yellow Ulster flag when the team starts playing in yellow. Until then it's white and red for me.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

moondance wrote:
OneMore wrote:To my limited knowledge, the yellow flag has been the provincial flag for quite some time. I wasn't aware that people saw it as controversial.

Ok, I'll rephrase it - This is a flag which until fairly recently in Northern Ireland was seen only at GAA matches, Republican parades and IRA funerals. I don't think there was a single yellow flag at Lansdowne Road in 1999, only a sea of white and red.

And your source for the yellow flag dating back hundreds of years as a provincial emblem is? Any official status?

Any views on the Cross of Saint Patrick? A flag considered as unacceptable by republicans.
What a ridiculous WUM statement. The crest of the branch is essentially the yellow ulster flag.