Flags for Aviva

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

aarons
Lord Chancellor

Re: Flags for Aviva

Post by aarons »

moondance wrote:
aarons wrote:What a ridiculous WUM statement. The crest of the branch is essentially the yellow ulster flag.
The Ulster Branch uses BOTH white and yellow crests - so to use the term 'essentially' is to say the least ballix.
logo_ulsterbranchlogo.gif
Fair enough. Almost as ballix as saying only republicans used to use the yellow flag
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

OneMore wrote: You really are a bit special. I honestly don't think you are as naive as you let on, but what we're taking about here is Ulster fans' opinion on what flags we find acceptable/preferable to be on display at Ulster rugby games.
Ok OneMore,
You were the one who started lists of flags.
If people find the yellow flag offensive or controversial should its use be 'discouraged'?
Given that the Cross of St Patrick is considered offensive by certain members of Sinn Fein, should it also be discouraged?
Or is it only flags that you don't 'like'?
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

moondance wrote:
aarons wrote:What a ridiculous WUM statement. The crest of the branch is essentially the yellow ulster flag.
The Ulster Branch uses BOTH white and yellow crests - so to use the term 'essentially' is to say the least ballix.
logo_ulsterbranchlogo.gif
How often do they use the crown and the star of David on their crests?
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

moondance wrote:
OneMore wrote: You really are a bit special. I honestly don't think you are as naive as you let on, but what we're taking about here is Ulster fans' opinion on what flags we find acceptable/preferable to be on display at Ulster rugby games.
Ok OneMore,
If people find the yellow flag offensive or controversial should its use be 'discouraged'?
Given that the Cross of St Patrick is considered offensive by certain members of Sinn Fein, should it also be discouraged?
I'm not sure that's strictly true Moonman. You might want to reread what I wrote. I listed emblems which I believe to be controversial in the NI context - let me know if you think any of those emblems are completely non-controversial.
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

AndyB wrote:I'll start waving the yellow Ulster flag when the team starts playing in yellow. Until then it's white and red for me.
An interesting point Andy. :salut:

I can't really think of an argument against that. Let's see if anyone can come up with one...........
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

OneMore wrote:You really are a bit special.
Gee, thanks. I'm cool with you.
OneMore wrote: I honestly don't think you are as naive as you let on, but what we're taking about here is Ulster fans' opinion on what flags we find acceptable/preferable to be on display at Ulster rugby games.
Moi, naive?

Sure, I've a opinion too. Have you excluded my view?
UIBF wrote: Your homework should include some research on the nine county ulster flag and the crest on it.

I had you down as a flag guru too. Flag guru list updated accordingly.
How'd you get on with the research?
Mummer
Novice

Post by Mummer »

OH FFS
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

OneMore wrote:I'm not sure that's strictly true Moonman. You might want to reread what I wrote. I listed emblems which I believe to be controversial in the NI context - let me know if you think any of those emblems are completely non-controversial.
In our province (Ulster), there are certain emblems which are seen as controversial. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
Because of the controversial nature of some emblems, a lot of Ulster fans believe that it would be best if we didn't have any of them flown or on display at Ulster matches.
I suggest you should reread what you wrote! In our province (Ulster) ..... in the NI context.
I refer you to my previous question - if the yellow flag is considered offensive or controversial - should it be 'discouraged'?
The Cross of Saint Patrick can be considered controversial - should it be 'discouraged'?

Are there any flaming emblems that are NOT controversial in N.I. - I have received complaints in work about Ulster Rugby mugs, coats and a 4 provinces tie! Apparently the Red Hand is sectarian! - look at the trouble Zoe Salmon got into over it!
Last edited by moondance on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

OneMore wrote:
moondance wrote:
Ok OneMore,
I'm not sure that's strictly true Moonman. You might want to reread what I wrote. I listed emblems which I believe to be controversial in the NI context - let me know if you think any of those emblems are completely non-controversial.
Now that is naughty. Even I can see what you've done there.

You've run away from moondance's question.

Poor show creating a flag list and then running away when a flag could be added.

Your coolness rating is going down. (my rating scheme is an inverse type setup btw)
weeHughF
Novice

Post by weeHughF »

Flew my flag with pride yesterday, also wore it around my shoulders once into the controlled zone

Did not wear it around the streets of Dublin so as not to offend my city foke

Will happily fly the NI Flag at Twickers

Flew the NI Flag at the Grand Slam also - think only O'Gara the bigot got upset out of 80,044 people

You can fly the yellow flag all you want, I have no qualms about it. But nobody should ever tell us what flag we should not fly - that's Germany circa 1930, and Russia post 1945 stuff there!

So long as nobody burns a Tricolour we'll all be alright and the world will continue to revolve
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

moondance wrote:
OneMore wrote:I'm not sure that's strictly true Moonman. You might want to reread what I wrote. I listed emblems which I believe to be controversial in the NI context - let me know if you think any of those emblems are completely non-controversial.
In our province (Ulster), there are certain emblems which are seen as controversial. These include, but are not limited to, the following:
Because of the controversial nature of some emblems, a lot of Ulster fans believe that it would be best if we didn't have any of them flown or on display at Ulster matches.
I suggest you should reread what you wrote! In our province (Ulster) ..... in the NI context.
I refer you to my previous question - if the yellow flag is considered offensive or controversial - should it be 'discouraged'?
The Cross of Saint Patrick can be considered controversial - should it be 'discouraged'?

Are there any flaming emblems that are NOT controversial in N.I. - I have received complaints in work about Ulster Rugby mugs, coats and a 4 provinces tie! Apparently the Red Hand is sectarian! - look at the trouble Zoe Salmon got it over it!
moodance, if you stay on feet, I have you easily winning on points here. He's all over the place.
promenader
Novice

Post by promenader »

AndyB wrote:I'll start waving the yellow Ulster flag when the team starts playing in yellow. Until then it's white and red for me.
Fair enough, but is one only supposed to wave flags that match the colours of the team shirt? Someone should tell the NI football supporters, in that case. And the supporters of the Italian national team. Oh, and the Germans too. The All Blacks...what colour is their flag? The Wallabies?
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

promenader wrote:
Fair enough, but is one only supposed to wave flags that match the colours of the team shirt? Someone should tell the NI football supporters, in that case. And the supporters of the Italian national team. Oh, and the Germans too. The All Blacks...what colour is their flag? The Wallabies?
Do keep up. I thought we're moving to wave whatever flag you want. *

* OneMore is carrying out vital research, so check back for updates
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Flags for Aviva

Post by darkside lightside »

Snipe Watson wrote:There in two replies we have the whole story. :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll:
I wasn't saying there was shame in it, nor was I saying it was an endorsement of the flag.
respectfully, sniper, you're being a little disingenuous - your earlier post making this point (on my phone, so I'm not going to the hassle of digging it up) was along the lines of 'the players did this, so no more debate, end of' type thing :)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
TriGav
Novice

Post by TriGav »

16 pages on Edinburgh match; our biggest gamevin 13 years. 23 pages on flags for that match.

Just saying
Please do not distrurb Mr Pienaar - he is operating in his bubble of calm