Ulster v Edinburgh Positives and Negatives

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Edinburgh Positives and Negatives

Post by Big-al »

Negative - That arsehole on the speaker introducing the teams unto the field.
weeHughF
Novice

Post by weeHughF »

Big-al wrote:Negative - That arsehole on the speaker introducing the teams unto the field.
How that joker has a job I don't know

I do think we drowned him out after a while though! :cheers:

Positive - Tom Court
Positive - Luke Marshall having a stinker for Ballymena means he won't be hacking around in an Ulster shirt for a while

Negative - some Munster side winning a trophy at Ballymena

More positives include
Ruan embracing the crowd at the end! Tom Court!

One final one, Mad Willie will get a send off next weekend and hopefully won't make the bench at Twickers
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Luke dragged Ballymena to the final on his own, he was targetted and Ballymena had no-one else to help him out.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

One final one, Mad Willie will get a send off next weekend and hopefully won't make the bench at Twickers
Don't agree with all this Faloon bashing ( yes, I avoided the obvious one ). Just watched the game back. Willie hasn't had a whole lot of game time this year and he did his best to hit everything that moved and slow their ball down. The lad did well in the circumstances. :salut: :red: :salut:
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

+ives
We're in the final, Ulster Rugby Heineken Cup Finalists 2012, who'd a thunk it!
Ruan Pienaar, what more can you say about this guy - pure, pure class he is - AND HE's OURS FOR ANOTHER 2 SEASONS :salut:
THAT tackle by Cave, that for me, was the moment we reached the final :salut: .
It was wonderful seeing the Aviva draped in a sea of white / red / yella, unforgettable experience.
Edinburgh's handling errors :wink: , had they been wearing stick mitts it could've been a very different story :shock: .
Rory's words at the post match interviews, they brought tears to my eyes knowing how much this meant to him :salut: :salut:
Having a chat with a VERY happy Chris Henry at the end of the game, also got a pic with him before he was mobbed.
Also having the pleasure of meeting Keith Wood, he's a legend.
Should have Afoa & Henry back for the final (we'll need them).

-ives
It was a shame seeing so many empty seats in the Aviva (although we made enough noise to negate that).
It wasn't a great game, I hope they are going to pull out a Leicester / Munster-esque performance for the final.
Worrying seeing 1F limping like that, no more games for him please until 19th May.
Damn those blazers at the IRFU for their stoopid overseas players policy, Wannenberg should be staying :banghead:
Can't put my finger on it but this just didn't have the same effect on me as the win at Munster did :shock: .
Flight prices to pretty much anywhere in England now that there know there's an Irish invasion heading their way on 19th May.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Wee Woman wrote:+ives
Ruan Pienaar, what more can you say about this guy - pure, pure class he is - AND HE's OURS FOR ANOTHER 2 SEASONS :salut:
It was wonderful seeing the Aviva draped in a sea of white / red / yella, unforgettable experience.
Edinburgh's handling errors :wink: , had they been wearing stick mitts it could've been a very different story :shock: .
Rory's words at the post match interviews, they brought tears to my eyes knowing how much this meant to him :salut: :salut:
Having a chat with a VERY happy Chris Henry at the end of the game, also got a pic with him before he was mobbed.

-ives
It was a shame seeing so many empty seats in the Aviva (although we made enough noise to negate that).
It wasn't a great game, I hope they are going to pull out a Leicester / Munster-esque performance for the final.
Worrying seeing 1F limping like that, no more games for him please until 19th May.
Damn those blazers at the IRFU for their stoopid overseas players policy, Wannenberg should be staying :banghead:
Can't put my finger on it but this just didn't have the same effect on me as the win at Munster did :shock: .
Flight prices to pretty much anywhere in England now that there know there's an Irish invasion heading their way on 19th May.
Wee Woman, are you going to the final now and who do you think will win, can Ulster beat Leinster ?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

promsandwich wrote:
Don't agree with all this Faloon bashing ( yes, I avoided the obvious one ). Just watched the game back. Willie hasn't had a whole lot of game time this year and he did his best to hit everything that moved and slow their ball down. The lad did well in the circumstances. :salut: :red: :salut:
Agreed, I think people would do well to re-watch the game themselves and see how many tackles he made versus how many he missed. The one tackle I remember him missing was on Talei which was bad execution on Faloon's part. He doesn't necessarily make the big hits we have become accustomed to see Ferris making but he makes plenty of them and puts himself in positions most wouldn't put their boot.

I don't think he had a fantastic game but nor would I say he was poor, as prom says though what do you expect from a guy that hasn't played as part of that particular unit (Wannenburg and Ferris) in god knows how long?

I'd also add to say one hopes that a player doesn't make the bench for the biggest game of Ulster's professional history is pretty poor form.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:+ives

-ives
Wee Woman, are you going to the final now and who do you think will win, can Ulster beat Leinster ?
Yes Kofi, we're going now. Us weemen are allowed to change our minds you know :wink: Going to be skint forever after this.

I'm going to say what I did when we went to Limerick, I wouldn't be there if I didn't think we could win.

BELIEVE :salut: :red:
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

BuckRogers wrote:
promsandwich wrote:
weeHughF wrote...One final one, Mad Willie will get a send off next weekend and hopefully won't make the bench at Twickers
I'd also add to say one hopes that a player doesn't make the bench for the biggest game of Ulster's professional history is pretty poor form.
+1. Willie is no Fez, Ruan or Rory etc etc. But it is the likes of Willie, Brady, Fityz that hold this
team together when the big names are away. I for one didn't think he had his best game on Sat
BUT he does deserve his chance at a shot at the bench for being a loyal servant. To wish the above
is totally OFO.
Last edited by Mac on Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

mikerob wrote:The RFU indirectly impose restrictions by linking their payments to the number of EQ players in the AP teams, and competitions impose restrictions on the number of non-EU players in the teams. I don't agree with the IRFU proposed restrictions as they are knee-jerk and ill thought through. An all-Ireland HEC final may provide food for thought that Ireland's underachievement is more to do with coaching than NIQ players.
The IRFU want Ulster to be a feeder club. That said, I'm sure they think HEC success is great though.

The restrictions is part of the buy off. However, those restrictions imposed by the IRFU for the benefit of the IRFU will hinder Ulster. Let's face it, who was the last world class prop produced by Ulster. In fact, have the IRFU produced anyone of real quality since Popplewell & Clohessy? (Paul Wallace maybe)
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Mac wrote:
+1. Willie is no Fez, Ruan or Rory etc etc. But it is the likes of Willie, Brady, Fityz that hold this
team together when the big names are away. I for one didn't think he had his best game on Sat
BUT he does deserve his chance at a shot at the bench for being a loyal servant. To wish the above
is totally OFO.
I don't think he should be on the bench because of patronage, you cannot select a team on that basis but if he's playing better than those around him e.g. McComish and Diack then he should be there. The Munster match will probably go some way to making that decision for the coaches.

It is the vogue to try and find some reason to be unhappy but at the end of the day Faloon's missed tackle, or 'tackle after tackle' according to Frozen Baggy, didn't impact the result or even threaten to really. Now not wishing to put any undue attention on Pedrie but he was very lucky with his miscontrol of the ball at the base of THAT scrum and also getting the ball ripped of him by Laidlaw when 2/3 metres out were pretty big moments though thankfully mattered not a jot.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

UIBF wrote:
mikerob wrote:The RFU indirectly impose restrictions by linking their payments to the number of EQ players in the AP teams, and competitions impose restrictions on the number of non-EU players in the teams. I don't agree with the IRFU proposed restrictions as they are knee-jerk and ill thought through. An all-Ireland HEC final may provide food for thought that Ireland's underachievement is more to do with coaching than NIQ players.
The IRFU want Ulster to be a feeder club. That said, I'm sure they think HEC success is great though.

The restrictions is part of the buy off. However, those restrictions imposed by the IRFU for the benefit of the IRFU will hinder Ulster. Let's face it, who was the last world class prop produced by Ulster. In fact, have the IRFU produced anyone of real quality since Popplewell & Clohessy? (Paul Wallace maybe)
The restrictions apply to Munster, Leinster and Ulster - it isn't just an Ulster thing. Plus they are meant to be under negotiation so we will see what they come up with. You can certainly question a number of the details of the IRFU's policy but in general, I think some sort of restriction on NIQs is a good thing as it does focus attention on the academy and local production of talent.

The IRFU will get about EUR 3M prize money from the ERC for the 7 appearances in HEC knock-out games by the 3 Irish provinces but to put it in perspective, that is about what they get from 1 international.
UIBF
Novice

Post by UIBF »

mikerob wrote:
UIBF wrote:

The restrictions apply to Munster, Leinster and Ulster - it isn't just an Ulster thing. Plus they are meant to be under negotiation so we will see what they come up with. You can certainly question a number of the details of the IRFU's policy but in general, I think some sort of restriction on NIQs is a good thing as it does focus attention on the academy and local production of talent.

The IRFU will get about EUR 3M prize money from the ERC for the 7 appearances in HEC knock-out games by the 3 Irish provinces but to put it in perspective, that is about what they get from 1 international.
Yeah, I know the IRFU aren't just picking on those pesky Northerners.

Problem with the NIQs - when the quality isn't there?

World class props playing for Ulster in the last 10 years?
Kempson
Joeli Veitayaki *

* World class comedy.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

BJ and Afoa as well, obviously.
Last edited by Jackie Brown on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

I find this Faloon-bashing a bit odd on here. Odd because a lot of the time it comes from the same posters who are quite happily willing to accept mediocre performances from the likes of Paddy Jackson whilst Willie bashing (oops...no pun intended), perhaps as has been said because it has become en vogue to do just that.