UAFC guide to Twickenham

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

UAFC guide to Twickenham

Post by mikerob »

There have been a number of questions already about Twickenham, transport, accommodation etc. but now that we know we are going to be there, here is some information about the area and other practicalities. Please post any questions or other useful information!

Where is Twickenham?

Twickenham is a suburb in south west London and the stadium is here

Address is: Twickenham Stadium, Whitton Road, Twickenham, TW2 7BA

How to get there?

Train

The train is generally the best way of getting to Twickenham and the stadium is about half a mile, or about 15-20 minutes walk from Twickenham train station, depending where you are in the ground. Twickenham is served by South West Trains out of Waterloo station. There are about 8 trains an hour out of Waterloo. Fast trains take about 20 mins, stopping at Clapham Junction and Richmond. Slow trains take about 30 mins with more stops.

The tube network connects with the train service to Twickenham at the following stations:
- Waterloo (Northern, Jubilee, Bakerloo, Waterloo & City)
- Vauxhall (Victoria)
- Clapham Junction (Overground)
- Richmond (District and Overground)

See the Transport for London website for timetables and journey planner.

Beyond Twickenham, the train service goes to Feltham, Staines, then on to either Windsor or Reading, so if you are stuck for accommodation in London, it could be worthwhile looking at a location further out than Twickenham and travel in.

The trains coming out of London to Twickenham can get very crowded.

There are usually big queues for the trains going back into London at Twickenham station immediately after the game. One tip to avoid this is to go to Whitton station instead (see map above) which is the station before Twickenham for London bound trains, so you get on before the crowds.

Oyster Card

If you are taking a number of journeys on public transport, it is well worth getting a pay-as-you-go Oyster travel card. These can be ordered here.

An Oyster card will save time faffing with cash or queuing to get a ticket. Oyster fares are cheaper than paying cash and fares on the underground are capped at a maximum per day, although bus and trains have a per journey charge.

You need to remember to swipe in and out for each journey otherwise you get charged the maximum fare.

You can top up the Oyster card at most stations, some shops or set an auto top-up from a credit card or bank account.

Bus

Twickenham is served by the following bus routes:
33: from Hammersmith
110: from Isleworth
267: from Hammersmith
281: from Hounslow
290: from Staines
481: from Isleworth and Kingston
490: from Heathrow T5 and T4 and Richmond
H20: from Hounslow
H22: from Hounslow and Richmond
R68: from Hampton Court and Kew
R70: from Hampton and Richmond

Local bus maps are here and here

There are also sometimes shuttle buses laid on from Richmond and Twickenham before and after games - I'll update this post if this is happening.

Buses can be disrupted by the crowds going to the game so definitely don't leave it to the last minute if you are taking the bus.

Car

The area around the stadium is controlled parking for residents and this is rigorously enforced. Some places rent out places for parking (Quins usually do this at their ground)

Some enterprising local residents sell parking spaces at their house - see http://www.parkatmyhouse.com/uk/parking/twickenham but I have no knowledge if this is above board.

Accommodation

Hotel rooms in the immediate area seem to be pretty heavily booked so you may need to look for somewhere more central or further out.

At the time I looked, there still seemed to be some accommodation in these places in West London, but some seem to have jacked their prices up so places further away may be better value
Travelodge Kew Bridge: it isn't in Kew, its in Brentford, which doesn't have a lot to see and do but is handy for Twickenham by train or bus
Holiday Inn Brentford
Novotel Hammersmith: typical business hotel
K West Shepherds Bush: boutique hotel, meant to be popular with celebs but situated behind a multi-story car park and down-at-heel shopping centre

Pubs

There are a couple of pubs right by Twickenham station that are popular place before heading to the stadium. The pubs themselves are nothing special, but are convenient if you are arriving by train. They usually lay on additional facilities for the crowds but still get very busy.

The Cabbage Patch 67 London Rd, Twickenham, TW1 3SZ
The Garryowen 68 London Rd, Twickenham, TW1 3QS

These pubs in Twickenham town are a bit better but are a further walk to the stadium.

The Barmy Arms The Embankment, Twickenham, TW1 3DU - Riverside pub with space outside for drinking if the weather is fine
The Eel Pie 9 Church St, Twickenham, TW1 3NJ

Richmond is a popular place before and after a game as there is a bigger selection of places to eat and drink here. Riverside pubs can get very busy when the weather is good.
The White Cross Water Lane, Riverside, Richmond, TW9 1TH - Can get flooded during a high tide!
The Sun 17 Parkshot, Richmond, TW9 2RG - Rugby pub with lots of rugby memorabilia around the bar
The Orange Tree 45 Kew Road, Richmond, TW9 2NQ - Another place popular on match days. Close to Richmond station.

Other stuff to do in London

ACC final: Toulon, sorry, Jonny Wilkinson's Toulon ( © Sky Sports) v Fat Serge's Biarritz at 8pm on Friday 18th at The Stoop, Twickenham (Quins ground)
Last edited by mikerob on Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 am, edited 7 times in total.
big andy
Novice

Re: UAFC guide to Twickenham

Post by big andy »

Excellent guide :)

We're staying in Earls Court. Going to be buzzing around there what with Chelsea in the final that night.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Mike...from Hattons Cross station, is it a bus,tube or train to Twickenham?
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Browner - I haven't taken the route myself, but the 490 bus goes from Hatton Cross to Twickenham taking about 30 mins (see one of the bus maps linked on my post) There is also the option of getting this bus to Feltham then changing for the train to Twickenham.

As I mentioned, bus services can be affected by the crowds so if taking the bus, I'd allow plenty of time.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

big andy wrote:Excellent guide :)

We're staying in Earls Court. Going to be buzzing around there what with Chelsea in the final that night.
The League Championship play-off final is also on the 19th at Wembley - not sure what time, probably afternoon.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

for anyone looking for hotels etc, there are a number of B and B's and private double rooms available in Kensington, Fulham and Camden Town. TravelStay is decent for finding deals, we got an inn in Camden late last night for £55 (2 people).
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

mikerob wrote:Browner - I haven't taken the route myself, but the 490 bus goes from Hatton Cross to Twickenham taking about 30 mins (see one of the bus maps linked on my post) There is also the option of getting this bus to Feltham then changing for the train to Twickenham.

As I mentioned, bus services can be affected by the crowds so if taking the bus, I'd allow plenty of time.
Thanks Mike.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
johnod1115
Novice

Post by johnod1115 »

London resident, Ulster blood.
Just want to pass on some local knowledge to you all.

Trains from Waterloo(central london) to Twickenham regular on game days, district line underground to richmond, then twichenham run shuttle buses every 10 minutes, public transport is good, you will have no problem.(see link)

Best Atmosphere will be in the west end, were fans usually converge on for most major games, big travelodge in Covent Garden/Holborn which is very handy, great pub around the corner from this hotel, owned , managed and staffed by people from Ulster, who all sport their Ulster jerseys on match days, it has a big area to the front of the bar for many to gather, it is called O'Neills, open the latest of all pubs in the area, 1.30am weekends.

Links below for TFL( transport for london), just key in where you want to go from, destination and time , it will give you all the info you need, like I said no biggie, easy to get there, also links to the hotel and pub I suggested.

If i can assist in anyway by answering questions about London, I will, fire away.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?hl= ... kQnwIoADAE

http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/318/ ... rden-hotel

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

STAND UP FOR THE MEN IN WHITE
the Moff
Novice

UAFC guide to Twickenham

Post by the Moff »

Comprehensive as ever MR!

Johnod - lurk more.
<insert witty comment here>
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

If coming from Bristol by rail, is it best to come right into Paddington or would it be better to get off at Reading and take a another train to Twickenham ?

Thanks in advance for advice
Koonak
Novice

Post by Koonak »

Anyone know of luggage facility in or around Twickenham. Flying in dinner time on Friday and have got tickets for the Amlin Final - need somewhere for a case during the match! I know theres no need for a case for a rugby weekend but we r travelling onwards to Europe on the Monday so cant do without it. We are staying central in London so wont have time to drop it off before the Amlin final. We had only planned to go to the Cup Final but the tickets were so cheap and it should be a great game between the two french sides didnt want to miss on getting tickets - then i frickin remembered about the suitcase. I know I can leave it in Heathrow and go back for it on the Sunday but just on the off chance if anyone knows of any such luggage facility in or around the Stoop?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Tighty wrote:If coming from Bristol by rail, is it best to come right into Paddington or would it be better to get off at Reading and take a another train to Twickenham ?

Thanks in advance for advice
I'd look at the timetable to see how long you would need to wait in Reading for the train to Twickenham. The train from Reading to Twickenham will take an hour but it will definitely take longer than that (probably at least 1 hr 30 mins) to get from Reading into Paddington then change one or two times to get to Twickenham.

However I'd avoid the Twickenham to Reading route if you are going back on Sunday as according to SW Trains, it is affected by engineering works.

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/MayEng2012.aspx#95294
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Koonak wrote:Anyone know of luggage facility in or around Twickenham. Flying in dinner time on Friday and have got tickets for the Amlin Final - need somewhere for a case during the match! I know theres no need for a case for a rugby weekend but we r travelling onwards to Europe on the Monday so cant do without it. We are staying central in London so wont have time to drop it off before the Amlin final. We had only planned to go to the Cup Final but the tickets were so cheap and it should be a great game between the two french sides didnt want to miss on getting tickets - then i frickin remembered about the suitcase. I know I can leave it in Heathrow and go back for it on the Sunday but just on the off chance if anyone knows of any such luggage facility in or around the Stoop?
i live in twickenham and can't think of any such thing. nearest would probably be waterloo.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

UAFC guide to Twickenham

Post by mikerob »

Koonak wrote:Anyone know of luggage facility in or around Twickenham. Flying in dinner time on Friday and have got tickets for the Amlin Final - need somewhere for a case during the match! I know theres no need for a case for a rugby weekend but we r travelling onwards to Europe on the Monday so cant do without it. We are staying central in London so wont have time to drop it off before the Amlin final. We had only planned to go to the Cup Final but the tickets were so cheap and it should be a great game between the two french sides didnt want to miss on getting tickets - then i frickin remembered about the suitcase. I know I can leave it in Heathrow and go back for it on the Sunday but just on the off chance if anyone knows of any such luggage facility in or around the Stoop?
You could try contacting the Stoop itself to see if there is anywhere you could leave a bag in the stadium. They have a bunch of corporate and meeting facilities there so are bound to have cloakrooms or somewhere to leave a bag.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

In advance of Mike's guide to the local pubs, if any of you are staying for the weekend in central London, can I put a shout out for O'Neills in Great Queen Street - run by an Ulsterman, always a couple of Ulster and Irish guys/girls on the staff, decent pints and they've always looked after Ulster/Irish rugby fans pretty well, showing matches on obscure channels, even if they have to stick it on a back screen because there is footy on etc. So if you're wandering around the west end/covent garden, rather than taking the weight off in an All Bar One or something, give them a look-in! And mention the fact that they got a mention on the fans website!
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden