Ulstermen Playing Abroad

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulstermen Playing Abroad

Post by fuzzylogic »

Im not sure why your trying to argue with me Al. I dont think Spence is a very creative player, thats the end of it.

Personally, I think PW or Cave or Gilroy using their head and their footwork to find gaps and beat defenders is creative, I also find PW and Cave's passing and offloading games to be creative at times.

I dont find Spences head down full steam approach creative. But if you do, thats fair enough. Im not bothered either way. But pull your panties out of your asshole and dont start jumping down my throat for giving my opinion on a player. It is after all, what forums like this are for.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Nevin has been turned into a crash ball merchant by the style Ulster have tried to use him to play at, which is a real shame as his step, acceleration and hand off were what set him apart when he was at under age level, allowing him to get on the outside of players.

I would prefer to see him at outside centre than inside centre although I feel he is very similar to how Trimble used to be and that he has a better future as a winger.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by cjp » Tue May 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Nevin has been turned into a crash ball merchant by the style Ulster have tried to use him to play at, which is a real shame as his step, acceleration and hand off were what set him apart when he was at under age level, allowing him to get on the outside of players.
At underage level he was a big fish in a small pond. At senior level he burst onto the scene with a lot of hype, he's now been caught onto somewhat and has fallen down the pecking order with Ulster.

You cant take underage/schoolboy level as anything to go by.

Jamie Smith was a star at schools level and now look at him.

Gareth Steenson was a star for age grade Irish teams, only now has he really come good.

Craig Gilroy wasnt rated my some at age grade, now look at him.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

I totally agree but I was trying to make the point that he hasn't been used as effectively as he could have by Ulster.

Gilroy and Henderson were both seen as not being good enough for Ulster Schools, yet 3 years later they have done ok.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Ah, Fuzzy you're full of crap.

and THATS the end of it!!

I'm not saying he's Conrad Smith, but then again neither is Darren Cave. 90% of the time Spence crashes the ball up, its part of a pre-planned set play, not out of his own will. Most of the time he's out wide trying to hand off players and making breaks.

I suggest you watch the French and Welsh midfield to see what a mordern centre is like. 4 players who rarely pass and step, yet their amongest the best in their positions in the world.

Henderson was always seen as good enough for Ulster schools, btw. He played in the O2 challange as an 18 YO for example.
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

Big-al wrote: Henderson was always seen as good enough for Ulster schools, btw. He played in the O2 challange as an 18 YO for example.
Al - To my knowledge Iain Henderson was never picked for Ulster Schools and his first representative appearance for Ulster was for the Under 20s v Munster in September 2010 - http://thefrontrowunion.com/profiles/gu ... henderson/ no mention of Ulster Schools,

He however did play in the O2 challenge match.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Fuzzy as me ma would have said "there's more than one way to crack eggs " just because you prefer side stepin centres doesn't mean that a full on run and twister is a useless player --Roberts and Shanklin come to mind very very dangerous players.

The other thing that must be remembered is that Spence when playing 12 has played with Marshall and Humphreys -- Marshall pass is shorter than Ruans -- if Humphreys runs with the ball it is laterally -- thus Spence seldom has time or space to be creative or be effective . Defensively he is better than Paddy but then few have any respect for good defenders on this board.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by rumncoke » Wed May 02, 2012 12:09 am

Fuzzy as me ma would have said "there's more than one way to crack eggs " just because you prefer side stepin centres doesn't mean that a full on run and twister is a useless player --Roberts and Shanklin come to mind very very dangerous players.

Again???

Feel free to point out where ive said Spence was a useless player :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Final comment on the Spence/Whitten matter... I've never heard anyone state that they think we should have got rid of Spence and kept Whitten.
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

Slightly off topic as it refers to next season, but I've heard a couple of Queens players may be thinking of joining Mr Bester at Rotherham.

Jerry Cronin heading to Doncaster

Totally off topic, I see the Brumbies played an Irish qualified THP in a Super 15 match last weekend. Haven't had time to watch the match in full so dont know how he got on. see link for details http://www.brumbies.com.au/Team/PlayerP ... fault.aspx
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by ColinM » Wed May 02, 2012 9:32 am

Final comment on the Spence/Whitten matter... I've never heard anyone state that they think we should have got rid of Spence and kept Whitten.
And if you read through this thread again you will see that no one has!
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Tighty wrote:Slightly off topic as it refers to next season, but I've heard a couple of Queens players may be thinking of joining Mr Bester at Rotherham.

Jerry Cronin heading to Doncaster

Totally off topic, I see the Brumbies played an Irish qualified THP in a Super 15 match last weekend. Haven't had time to watch the match in full so dont know how he got on. see link for details http://www.brumbies.com.au/Team/PlayerP ... fault.aspx
Aye Tighty good spot,
Didn't like the last line mind you:

"Murphy will be working hard to represent his adopted country in the future. "
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

yes at the mo looks like an outhalf and winger going to Rotherham from Queens for next season.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

McAuley going as well?
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

cjp wrote:McAuley going as well?
Heard McAuley had a trial with rotherham, so i assume he will only be playing there next season if he impresses with the trial.