Squad for next season

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: Squad for next season

Post by ruckover »

If you've watched Championship rugby on Sky Sports you'll realise it's streets ahead of AIL.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

the demise of Willie Falloon is a great advertisement for any serious rugby player to push for a move away from AIL and the Ravens. I wish Porter luck and would be happy to see him back if he develops well, he played with freedom on Friday.

that there's no route through to the first team for him here at the moment and he's unproven at this level. no-brainer if he's moving and there's not real point to us keeping him around.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Willie has been disappointing this season. The 1st Leinster try was purely his fault, the initial break by McFadden came down his channel of the scrum.

Ruan had rushed over the help Paddy, expecting Willie to be there obviously, but what he found was a big gap and no Willie. Pedire was the 1st man there and when your number 8 is the fastest of the scrum you know your in trouble, thats the core job of an openside FFS, witness Henrys brilliant tackle on O'Leary in the dieing minutes of the QF. TOL ran past iHumph and would have broke the line if it wasn't for Chris busting his gut to get there.

BTW - Willie followed up that play by letting yer maun waltze past him untouched to score. Looking like a good decision to let him go, unfortunatly.
headgame
Novice

Post by headgame »

Willie was a dead man walking whose season/form never really got going as he struggled for game or even match squad
time and having already committed to connacht its not surprising fitness ,form and commitment are not what they should
be. It is the same with most players .especially younger ones. if there is no light at the end of the tunnel eg game time/ experience they will be lured away. Is this the difference between Leinster and Ulster .the willingness to rotate the squad
giving young players or players trying to find form some hope .It also means your second choice in a position is ready in the
event of injury/suspension(Afoa?) real squad depth is not just on paper!!
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

Fionn Carr got very little game time this season a bit of a waste of time going to Leinster so not sure if Leinster have given much game time to fringe players.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

ardsrugbyards wrote:Fionn Carr got very little game time this season a bit of a waste of time going to Leinster so not sure if Leinster have given much game time to fringe players.
They prefer to bring up youth players rather than fringe players. Dave Kearney in his first pro year at Leinster has played more than Fionn Carr, an established winger. I'd say Kearney's better too now.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Last edited by pip14 on Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Squad for next season

Post by shamalicious »

If that's the case then Humph sounds like a ruthless aul Scrooge. Would've been good PR to have an Ulster player shown to be a supporter.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

pip14 wrote:Not sure this is in the right topic but was speaking with a good friend of Ian Whittens today who said that:

Ian phoned BML on Thursday asking if he could go to the game on Saturday with his mates and not with the squad, as he wanted to sit in the ulster crowd with his friends. Brian said this was fine but told Hump to ensure it was ok. Hump then phoned Ian and told him that if he did so he would be suspended from the squad for a month and told not to come back to training :oops: Ian went to the match on Saturday with his mates in the end... :oops:

Good luck to him in Connacht next season! :thumright:
He's not going to Connacht next season

Makes you wonder about the rest. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Last edited by pip14 on Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

Bumped into Dizzy before the match and must say I was curious why he was there just as a 'punter'!

TBH not surprised Humphs wanted him with the squad IF TRUE... united front and all that.
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

pip14 wrote: why would I make this up!?!
:scratch:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

pip14 wrote:Sorry meant Exeter, was thinking of Willie, but yeh I swear this is true, why would I make this up!?!
Who said you made it up?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Snipe Watson wrote:
pip14 wrote: why would I make this up!?!
:scratch:
:lol:
colwynvet
Novice

Post by colwynvet »

shamalicious wrote:If that's the case then Humph sounds like a ruthless aul Scrooge. Would've been good PR to have an Ulster player shown to be a supporter.
I've heard (from a reputable source) that Humph tortures puppies with needles!!

Bad, bad man but actually quite a good Director of Rugby! :stir:
You don't know! You weren't there!