In praise of...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

In praise of...

Post by browner »

RYAN VREDE writes that watching Ruan Pienaar’s masterful display in the European Cup semi-final was a timely reminder of his class and the benefit of time away from the pressures of South African rugby.

In engineering Ulster’s march to Twickenham, Pienaar played with all the fizz and skill of the youngster who emerged in 2007 for the Sharks but also with the composure, tactical intelligence and precision that can only be learned through experience.

This was not a one-off event. Pienaar has burnt white-hot for the better part of 18 months and is widely considered to be the club’s fulcrum. Certainly his reputation earned him a move to Ireland, but he hasn’t lived on reputation alone since, winning the respect of the European rugby fraternity through his consistent excellence. Indeed his game has grown and he is now a refined player compared to the one that left South African shores two years ago.

Positional continuity undoubtedly has had much to do with this, but the emotional maturity he would have experienced being away from the comforts of home is invaluable in his growth. Ulster and Ireland have been as good for Pienaar in this regard as Pienaar has been for them.

Pienaar is a prime example of the benefits a period abroad can have. Too often South African players of Pienaar’s calibre are castigated for their decision to leave a local franchise. They are too readily branded as mercenaries and the failure to recognise the potential future benefits for the national game is one of our great failings as a rugby fraternity.

I haven’t seen Pienaar command a big match in the manner he did in Dublin on Saturday. For a myriad reasons I had reservations about his temperament in high pressure environments and those reservations were supported by off-the-record talks with some of his team-mates. But against Edinburgh he played with the authority of a man who was absolutely clear in what he wanted to achieve and one not shackled, as he had been, by a fear of failure.

Pienaar always had the talent to play Test rugby but never the mental strength to be a consistent force. On the evidence of what I’ve seen, that is no longer a charge that can be levelled at the 28-year-old.

There has been plenty written about the potential return of Fourie du Preez to the Springboks. Coach Heyneke Meyer believes him to be central to the success of their game plan and covets his technical and tactical gifting. The debate around Du Preez’s return hasn’t made mention of Pienaar, only the effect such a comeback would have on the career prospects of Francois Hougaard, anointed by Du Preez as his successor.

But no Springbok scrumhalf debate can now be a valid one without Pienaar’s value being discussed – such is the quality of player he has become.
Totally concur with the last paragraph...it would be great to see him back in the 9 shirt for the Boks.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
rakem
Novice

Re: In praise of...

Post by rakem »

i found the most interesting part of that article to be the reference to pienaar's supposedly flaky big match temperament, before he left SA. gotta say, having watched him against munster and edinburgh, where he played such a massive role in victory, he has definitely thrown off those particular shackles.

just goes to show that not only has pienaar been good for ulster, but ulster has been good for him.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Not so sure from a purely selfish Ulster viewpoint of the idea of his playing for the Boks. We need him here for preseason training , but maybe " lend "him " for an autumn international
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I am sure, I don't want him near the Boks. They took him and Johann to the world cup, didn't use them and it cost us a semifinal in the league.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

It will be up to the boks... they have the 4 nations and an AI vs Ireland in November and Ulster must release players if they ask for them.
rakem
Novice

Post by rakem »

mikerob wrote:It will be up to the boks... they have the 4 nations and an AI vs Ireland in November and Ulster must release players if they ask for them.
must they? why so mikerob? i stand to be corrected by your goodself, but what leverage does the SA rugby union hold over ulster? i could understand the players asking UR to allow them to be selected and therefore travel, but surely the SA rugby union can't demand it.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

It is strange because South African supporters did refer to his lack of big game temperament. He's always appeared as cool as a cucumber in an Ulster shirt. Truly our best ever NIQ.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

rakem wrote:
mikerob wrote:It will be up to the boks... they have the 4 nations and an AI vs Ireland in November and Ulster must release players if they ask for them.
must they? why so mikerob? i stand to be corrected by your goodself, but what leverage does the SA rugby union hold over ulster? i could understand the players asking UR to allow them to be selected and therefore travel, but surely the SA rugby union can't demand it.
Rakem.
Think more along the lines that the players have clauses in their contracts allowing International release.
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
RedKC
Novice

Post by RedKC »

cables wrote:
rakem wrote:
Rakem.
Think more along the lines that the players have clauses in their contracts allowing International release.
Or because its a requirement by the irb http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/mediazone/ ... 27792.html

Or if you have little to be at and want to read all of regulation 9 http://www.irb.com/mm/document/lawsregs ... 27_pdf.pdf
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

rakem wrote:
Ulster/IRFU are governed by IRB regulations and IRB regulations for player release come down to "country before club".

More specifically, the IRB has defined certain windows during the year aligned with the 6N, 4N, AIs, RWC when a club *must* release a player for international duty if requested. Outside these windows, it becomes more complicated and is a matter for negotiation. That is why England, for example, needs to have a negotiated agreement with the AP clubs for release of players for training camps.
rakem
Novice

Post by rakem »

mikerob wrote:
rakem wrote:
Ulster/IRFU are governed by IRB regulations and IRB regulations for player release come down to "country before club".

More specifically, the IRB has defined certain windows during the year aligned with the 6N, 4N, AIs, RWC when a club *must* release a player for international duty if requested. Outside these windows, it becomes more complicated and is a matter for negotiation. That is why England, for example, needs to have a negotiated agreement with the AP clubs for release of players for training camps.
mmmm thanks mikerob, i guess i was thinking back to how difficult the french clubs have supposedly been over recent years in allowing the release of english players in particular that signed for them. and how all the chat was that if players left for france that might be the end of their international careers. i suppose that might be more down to the RFU just not selecting them if they left, to try and keep the AP strong. saffers, and indeed IRFU, have adopted a similar stance over recent years although now SA are clearly softening.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I don't think Ruan is as fussed with the Bok jersey as he used to be.

He said in an interview that during the RWC he was looking forward to coming back to Ulster or 'home' as he referred it too, didn't sound like someone who was chasing the jersey.