Humphreys set to leave Ulster for Premiership

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Humphreys set to leave Ulster for Premiership

Post by Jackie Brown »

I was obviously referring to the Ulster Connacht border. So he'd be stuck in Roscommon.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Jackie Brown wrote:I was obviously referring to the Ulster Connacht border. So he'd be stuck in Roscommon.
[pedantry] Leitrim surely [/pedantry]
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

I was mulling over my excitement about our squad next season in recent times and of course the one obvious thing that has always been glaringly obvious is our 10 slot. In every other position we'll have player of real class who we know 100% won't let us down under any circumstances. At ten we had iHump and Jackson, now it's just Jackson. That's a whole lot of responsibility that's suddenly lept upon the young lads' shoulders. I hope he copes with it as calmly as he did the HC semi-final.
My one fear now is what happens if Jackson implodes, plays utter dross like an off-form iHump or he picks up an injury. We have all our eggs in one very young and inexperienced basket who won't often have the luxury of Ruan on one side and Paddy on the other. So with that in mind I can't imagine why Dr Dave wouldn't have another 10 waiting in the wings ready to be unveiled. Ladies and Gents..........Dan Carterrrrrrrrr!!!!! :)
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

petey11 wrote: So with that in mind I can't imagine why Dr Dave wouldn't have another 10 waiting in the wings ready to be unveiled. Ladies and Gents..........Dan Carterrrrrrrrr!!!!! :)
Get real Petey.....and stay off those crunchie bars. One of the little bubbles
has found it's way into your blood stream and is affecting your thought process.
I know you are only joking but statements like that get latched onto by certain
dreame.......rather rumour mongers here and they loose the run of themselves
for the duration of the closed season. On second thoughts....let them dream.
The closed season could do with a little entertainment at times. :lol:
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
ulsterrr
Novice

Post by ulsterrr »

Is this DR DAVE saying to the irfu... we have Paddy Jackson but sure seeing as one team is allowed a foreign 10 Im going to get one? I would rather have the 10 than munster! Next season we could have twoback lines
Ruan, Jackson, Wallace, Spence, Trimble, Cochrane, Payne
beagle, Star 10 :) , Luke marshall, Cave, Bowe. Gilroy, Darcy
We need to develop player depth next season one way of bring younger backs on.
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

I can't see PJ being first choice next year with only McKinney as back up
Who are next season's outhalfs:

PJ
Luke marshall?
Ruan?

Who else?

Mckinney could very well be elsewhere, hasn't had many opportunities unfortunately.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Stuart Olding in the academy is an OH... got a few minutes of game time in the Christmas game against Leinster.

Any views on his prospects?
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

"I know you are only joking but statements like that get latched onto by certain
dreame......."

You're talking about Pip aren't you ????? :)
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

petey11 wrote:I was mulling over my excitement about our squad next season in recent times and of course the one obvious thing that has always been glaringly obvious is our 10 slot. In every other position we'll have player of real class who we know 100% won't let us down under any circumstances. At ten we had iHump and Jackson, now it's just Jackson. That's a whole lot of responsibility that's suddenly lept upon the young lads' shoulders. I hope he copes with it as calmly as he did the HC semi-final.
My one fear now is what happens if Jackson implodes, plays utter dross like an off-form iHump or he picks up an injury. We have all our eggs in one very young and inexperienced basket who won't often have the luxury of Ruan on one side and Paddy on the other. So with that in mind I can't imagine why Dr Dave wouldn't have another 10 waiting in the wings ready to be unveiled. Ladies and Gents..........Dan Carterrrrrrrrr!!!!! :)
We also need to think about who we have at 9. Controlling the game from 9 is all very well when it's RP with a rookey OH, but p will need to step up to the plate in that respect this season or we could be rudderless.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

Great player with a big future, very much a running out half who could probably play 13 of 15 if needed, not sure about his kicking but has got plenty of talent, and seems to bulked up since school. Impressive when he got on for the Under 20s.
chris d
Novice

Post by chris d »

Sad to see him go. not only were we born in the same fine establishment in ballymena, he has a turn of pace no other 10 has and on his day is a joy to watch.

worried about the lack of back up now. letting him go is a big call so lets hope there is a solid plan afoot.

good luck in London that man.
Last edited by chris d on Fri May 04, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Humphreys set to leave Ulster for Premiership

Post by shamalicious »

Now there's a surprise! Out of all the possible leavers I never thought it'd be iHumph. Good luck to him but now we're looking very light. I believe Luke Marshall is playing OH for Ballymena so I'd imagine he might move up the ranks but that's only 2 very young OHs.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Holy ># . :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Yip its a 9 shock day, hands up all wise-acres who foretold that one.

All manner of thoughts, few of them good I have to say. No point in rehashing the pros & cons of iHumph, my main memory is of a very inconsistent occasional genius with the ability to do the magnificent at times.

It is blatantly obvious he has had a ropey season but in the dross there has been the inspired which has kept us ticking towards Twickenham. Enough said.

Now PJ is the man and what we have seen in the last few weeks is encouraging if not inspiring, thought he was superb against Leinster but a little "safe" against Embra. The good news is that he can now develop between 2 absolutely class players, Ruan & Paddy and that can only help.

As for next season, am I not right in thinking McKinney is off? We are therefore left with PJ & Ruan, perhaps Paddy Wallace at a push, Luke Marshall? That's not the worst situation but I want to see Ruan where he is best suited and this is with a huge no 9 on his back.

So has the good Doctor something to tell us? Well I have to tell you that at my age, I just don't need this type of drama just 2 weeks before my blood pressure rockets.

Clearly this muddies the waters on the NIQ situation, 10 or back row? A 2nd project, young Mr Anscombe? Who knows.

Don't you just hate being in limbo with not a pole in sight to dance under.

Final thought: So is the despotic Doc Dave that some regale us with not the man for nepotism after all? Could these "insiders" have got it wrong? Could it be that McGlock rather than the Doc actually picks the team? Hey............ back up the bus, that's more than a thought :shock: :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ulsterrr
Novice

Post by ulsterrr »

Put it this way! This decision was taken in February? march? mere early April. At this time PJ wasn't starting.. There is no way Humphs would have let bro leave when we didn't have anyone else other than 2 up and coming out halfs unless there was a better replacement coming in! NIQ! One team needs a NIQ 10! and its us :)
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

did dan parks sign for connaught? does this have any effect on the NIQ issue?