Humphreys set to leave Ulster for Premiership

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Humphreys set to leave Ulster for Premiership

Post by ColinM »

Did NOC not go to Connacht on a two year deal? Humph had a year left. It's not such a brilliant deal for anyone that two contracts should be broken to make it happen. If iHumph were to leave and NOC come home, it is surely more likely to have happened in 12 months time not now
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I just can't believe what I'm reading here:

The only difference between NOC and ... Emerick, Bart, Shatcofski, G Henderson, Dewey ... is that they are not from Ulster - thus we feel a certain loyalty to NOC and dismiss the others as a waste of skin and organs ... so why not bring back Bartholomeusz at 10 ... good solid player - yeah sure he was duff when he played for us - but a kick up the Brennan and he'll be fine.

The sooner we get McL into eth Academy and bringing through quality 20 year olds the better - Anyone else read big Hammy's article in the Tele ... made a whole load of sense that did. Time to look forward, not back for stop gaps.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cornerfleg wrote:I just can't believe what I'm reading here:

The only difference between NOC and ... Emerick, Bart, Shatcofski, G Henderson, Dewey ... is that they are not from Ulster - thus we feel a certain loyalty to NOC and dismiss the others as a waste of skin and organs ... so why not bring back Bartholomeusz at 10 ... good solid player - yeah sure he was duff when he played for us - but a kick up the ar$e and he'll be fine.
NOC* is one of ours and better than any of those you mention. I remember him beating the Dragons on his own one friday night during the dark days.
Terracetoff
Novice

Post by Terracetoff »

I have been a critic of iHumph but only because I didn't think he was contributing to the team. Wish him all the best at London Irish.

Is there not a forgotten brother of Dan Carter called Dave Carter, who could be a project player. He looks remarkably like Dan and has never been seen in public but we could sign him as back up to PJ. (remember Ian Botham using this ruse to bat twice at a match at Woodvale many years ago - he came on as Guy Botham as he tried to hit the ball onto Twaddell Avenue).
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

ColinM wrote:Did NOC not go to Connacht on a two year deal? Humph had a year left. It's not such a brilliant deal for anyone that two contracts should be broken to make it happen. If iHumph were to leave and NOC come home, it is surely more likely to have happened in 12 months time not now
yes, but with Parks signed, Connacht now have 4 out-halfs on the books - Parks, NOC, Nikora and Jarvis...
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Snipe Watson wrote:...On Match day, NOC* would be 4th choice 10 behind Paddy W, Ruan & Paddy W.
#TWO PADDY WALLACE',
#THERE'S ONLY TWO PADDY WALLACE,
#TWO PADDY WAAAAAAAALLAAAAAACE,
#THERE'S ONLY TWO PADDY WAAAALLAAACE.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

darkside lightside wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:To quote a wise man "he wasn't brilliant when he was with us before, " .... exactly - case proved. NEXT.
and Humphreys has been brilliant when he was with us?

Neither NOC or Humphreys are top out-halfs, at the minute - Humphreys is at a stage in his careeer, aged 30, when you have to say he just isn't capable of turning around the shortcomings in his game (and these are serious, game-losing shortcomings). NOC is still only 23, and hopefully still capable, with a more stable and professional coaching set-up compared to when he left, of improving and at least providing good cover at 10.

I'm happy enough with the trade - our squad nets out about equal.

Ermmmmm no ... when or who said that? Dear dear - and breathe we've obvioulsy got to take this slowly .... iHumph could be very good the odd time but a high percentage was average to down right poor. But at least he had the option of occasionally being good and match winning ... Nial's CV on the other hand reads like those of Kettyl, Mallon and McKenzie and the others we never read about anymore cos they were NOT GOOD ENOUGH either.

IF NOC can round out his game - good on him - I wish him all the best - just go do it somewhere else we have no room for passengers here - we're trying to be a world class team - not a creche.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:I just can't believe what I'm reading here:

The only difference between NOC and ... Emerick, Bart, Shatcofski, G Henderson, Dewey ... is that they are not from Ulster - thus we feel a certain loyalty to NOC and dismiss the others as a waste of skin and organs ... so why not bring back Bartholomeusz at 10 ... good solid player - yeah sure he was duff when he played for us - but a kick up the ar$e and he'll be fine.
NOC* is one of ours and better than any of those you mention. I remember him beating the Dragons on his own one friday night during the dark days.

Snipe - please don't take this the wrong way - we agree on most things here and it's healthy to have differening opinions. But honestly mate I just don't buy into NOC being anymore than these guys - the 'he's one of ours' nah ... sorry - gimme Ulstermen in an Ulstershirt any day, month or year ... but if they don't cut the mustard, bring in someone else or sign a quality player.

I've no time for pick him cos he's one of us ... we've tried that ... don't work.

If St P didn't rate him then that's good enough for me.
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

"IF NOC can round out his game - good on him - I wish him all the best - just go do it somewhere else we have no room for passengers here - we're trying to be a world class team - not a creche."

Unless your name's Paddy Jackson of course ;)
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

darkside lightside wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:To quote a wise man "he wasn't brilliant when he was with us before, " .... exactly - case proved. NEXT.
and Humphreys has been brilliant when he was with us?

Neither NOC or Humphreys are top out-halfs, at the minute - Humphreys is at a stage in his careeer, aged 30, when you have to say he just isn't capable of turning around the shortcomings in his game (and these are serious, game-losing shortcomings). NOC is still only 23, and hopefully still capable, with a more stable and professional coaching set-up compared to when he left, of improving and at least providing good cover at 10.

I'm happy enough with the trade - our squad nets out about equal.

Bullshit as indeed was your last post. It is exactly the same coaching set up now as when he left with the exception of Buzz and if it was Buzz coaching NOC that might explain a lot, the same set up that has us in the ERC final.

Don't you ever think before running yer bake?

Furthermore yes, Humphreys has indeed been brilliant - just not often enough. NOC has never had a brilliant day in his life nor is he likely to.

As for Small p, I and many like me have been forced to relent on a firmly held conviction about him due to a definite improvement this season. The scales have not fallen from our eyes, he has become a better player both by finding a touch more control himself & by his experience with Ruan. Mainly I credit the guy himself. That said I still have teh willies about him as a starter, he has found a niche as a game changer from the bench.

If you contend he is not a better player but we have just come to understand him, your point might have validity. Then again it would also cast a long shadow over you're judgement.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

sad to see him go. we wouldn't have been in this final if it wasn't for a great performance against Clermont at home. Quality player but a confidence player which was clearly rocked. I am glad he never came on a 'fans' forum for reassurance. i use fans loosey in some of the caseon this.
I had heard the new coach coming in was bringing his son as part of the package. he has been layingwell in the super 15
leaves us with -
Ruan
Jacko
PW
Marshall
Oulding - great prospect that we are yet to see fully for Ulster. very attack minded outhalf and tackles v well.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Sense at last ... just never thought it would come from Baggy!!!! :lol:
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

Cornerfleg wrote:

Just gimme the word!

Yeah, yeah... It had to be a Saffa rifle didn't it! Bloody typical etc!

Sorry to see another homegrown talent leave Ulster (again) and I'm more than a little concerned that PJ could have done with another season or two as padawan.
Last edited by AyeYerMa on Fri May 04, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

PJ worries me too - mainly cos he tackles like the Anti-ROG, he'll pick up injuries.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cornerfleg wrote:Image

Just gimme the word!
Fleg..................your handler here ................................ operation is go, take him out ............ follow orders soldier............ too much dangerous talk & the numpty faction.................... & Snipe :shock: would take him back.

Snipe what the feck are you on? He's dross, nice fellah but dross.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.