Humphreys set to leave Ulster for Premiership

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

stickinout
Warrior Chief

Re: Humphreys set to leave Ulster for Premiership

Post by stickinout »

breakdown wrote:I'd agree with you that you would prefer to see some of our owns lads coming through at 10, If we did sign a NIQ 10, which I can see us doing, it would only hinder PJ's development somewhat and he would be stuck with AIL for the next number of years. While I think we will sign a NIQ 10, I would be happier with Nikora coming up north and signing a NIQ 6/8 as planned. That way we get more cover for 10 with Nikora, PJ would be ahead of him so his development won't be slowed down and we also get another big Saffer for back row cover.

BD, Why would it hinder PJ's development? If it's managed well, he can get plenty of game time. For me, if we get a new 10, he doesn't have to be spectacular, nor International class though i'd prefer it. As long as he's safe, good at pulling the strings and has plenty of experience of a suitable level. Nikora would do the job. What's the story with NOC at connacht this year? Is he injured or has Ellwood not been able to work his magic to help him improve and gone with Nikora as his number 1?
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Not impressed with NOC coming back but we may just hope PJ doesn't get injured or called up to the Ireland squad, which could be likely as I would imagine him and Madigan would feel they are ahead of Keatley at present.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

stickinout wrote:
breakdown wrote:I'd agree with you that you would prefer to see some of our owns lads coming through at 10, If we did sign a NIQ 10, which I can see us doing, it would only hinder PJ's development somewhat and he would be stuck with AIL for the next number of years. While I think we will sign a NIQ 10, I would be happier with Nikora coming up north and signing a NIQ 6/8 as planned. That way we get more cover for 10 with Nikora, PJ would be ahead of him so his development won't be slowed down and we also get another big Saffer for back row cover.

BD, Why would it hinder PJ's development? If it's managed well, he can get plenty of game time. For me, if we get a new 10, he doesn't have to be spectacular, nor International class though i'd prefer it. As long as he's safe, good at pulling the strings and has plenty of experience of a suitable level. Nikora would do the job. What's the story with NOC at connacht this year? Is he injured or has Ellwood not been able to work his magic to help him improve and gone with Nikora as his number 1?
Dan Carter or Quade Cooper would do a job.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Who do you really expect us to sign to play third fiddle behind Paddy and Ruan? Have some sense.
Paddy is our flyhalf going forward and if something happens to him, it's Ruan. This guy, NOC or whoever, will not even make the 23 unless there are injuries.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I would prefer we kept McKinney than took a retrograde step with NOC. Humph would have to get a seriously impressive NIQ backrow forward to make up for it.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Cjp, who says NOC is returning? Do you know something we don't?
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

cjp wrote:Not impressed with NOC coming back but we may just hope PJ doesn't get injured or called up to the Ireland squad, which could be likely as I would imagine him and Madigan would feel they are ahead of Keatley at present.
If NOC is signed Dr Humph needs to take a long hard look at himself, buying someone of his calibre out of a contract is a shocking peice of business, even if he's a gift on behalf of Connacht.

Niall O'connor is 3rd choice FH in Connacht, their fans can't wait until they get rid of him, letting McKinney go and signing NOC is shocking.

McKinney is the far better OH and younger as well.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Keatley would be a better bit of business than NOC
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

breakdown wrote:Keatley would be a better bit of business than NOC
Is Keatley going to come here to play AIL rugby? No!
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

Snipe Watson wrote:Who do you really expect us to sign to play third fiddle behind Paddy and Ruan? Have some sense.
Paddy is our flyhalf going forward and if something happens to him, it's Ruan. This guy, NOC or whoever, will not even make the 23 unless there are injuries.
You're taking a big presumption there Snipe that RP is considered number 2, would he not be seen as no.3 at the present time behind PJ and iH, especially as iH was included in the subs at the semi? I guess it depends where management think they'll get the best out of RP, and IMO that's beyond discussion and there's no need to have him chopping and changing. Would be better to sign a 10 and leave RP in the 9 shirt. I have faith in the good Dr. H :red:
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

Judging by the shrewd signings DH has made thus far, I don't think he'll try and stifle our progress by bringing back NOC. However, I do feel we need an experienced OH (apart from Ruan) to share duties with PJ. We can't expect Ruan to play every single game of the season playing 9 and/or 10, and PJ can't play every game either. I would follow the Leinster template whereby you alternate a seasoned campaigner with a bright prospect for the future.
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

[quote="Husky"]Judging by the shrewd signings DH has made thus far, I don't think he'll try and stifle our progress by bringing back NOC. However, I do feel we need an experienced OH (apart from Ruan) to share duties with PJ. We can't expect Ruan to play every single game of the season playing 9 and/or 10, and PJ can't play every game either. I would follow the Leinster template whereby you alternate a seasoned campaigner with a bright prospect for the future.[/quote]

I like your thinking :salut:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

stickinout wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Who do you really expect us to sign to play third fiddle behind Paddy and Ruan? Have some sense.
You're taking a big presumption there Snipe that RP is considered number 2, would he not be seen as no.3 at the present time behind PJ and iH, especially as iH was included in the subs at the semi? I guess it depends where management think they'll get the best out of RP, and IMO that's beyond discussion and there's no need to have him chopping and changing. Would be better to sign a 10 and leave RP in the 9 shirt. I have faith in the good Dr. H :red:
RP is 3 at the moment, but with Paddy stepping up, I suspect we would have 1 halfback on the bench, beagle.
I suspect that iHumph wanted to go when he knew he wasn't going to be No.1 next season and would struggle to make the 23.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Husky wrote:Judging by the shrewd signings DH has made thus far, I don't think he'll try and stifle our progress by bringing back NOC. However, I do feel we need an experienced OH (apart from Ruan) to share duties with PJ. We can't expect Ruan to play every single game of the season playing 9 and/or 10, and PJ can't play every game either. I would follow the Leinster template whereby you alternate a seasoned campaigner with a bright prospect for the future.
An experience out half thats IQ, the only I can think of would be ROG, Sexton, Madigan and Nikora. The first of those three won't move for obvious reasons and Nikora is under contract, or so I heard, therefore our NIQ could be a 10. That's well and good, but our greatest need is the back row replacement, not many IQ back rowers would be capable of replacing Pedrie, McLaughlin, Ryan or Ruddock are no where near P3 standard so we would be missing out if we brought in an NIQ 10 who will more than likely rotate with PJ and only play around half the games during the season.
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Heard from a reliable source that NOC is definitely coming home.
Can't believe Humphreys would actualy re-sign him. heres an interesting question,
How will ulster fans react to this? I can't see it going down well with anyone, sure we have signed crap before, but the average Joe fan didn't really know much about the player we plucked from new zealand, italy or english division 1 ala webb, Emerick and Pfister. So most fans probably hoped they would do well and had some level of expectation. This time is very different, we are signing someone who has proved time and again that he is not up to standard and i can honestly not see what he can bring to the party and from what ive seen of him this year he hasn't improved at all. We are trying to build a world class squad, this is not the way to do it.
IMO we should have just stuck with what we have and gave PJ the 10 shirt for next year, if we are left in a situation were jacko, peinaar and wallace are all unavailable give olding a go, or reach out and try bring back McKinney mid season, premiership clubs take players mid season from D1regularly.