Squad for next season

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cracker
Squire

Re: Squad for next season

Post by Cracker »

This board needs to be carefull here. A joke is a joke but some of the recent comments are getting close to being defamatory.
Starsky
Initiate

Post by Starsky »

Don't know if Pip's tale is true or not but either way correct response from Humphreys.
One does not simply walk into Ulster
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

ardsrugbyards wrote:Fionn Carr got very little game time this season a bit of a waste of time going to Leinster so not sure if Leinster have given much game time to fringe players.
I always stood by my guns in saying Carr would be shown up for the mediocre player he is. His move to Leinster has had the same effect on his career as phone tapping had on the news of the world :)

I can't believe for a second that Humphreys would do that kind of thing to a great servant of Ulster who is unlikely to play any more part in UR other than the token show against Munster. If he suspends a player who would be an asset to us in that match then I would be (and I've always wanted to type this word) flabberghasted (there I said it)...... :afro:
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

pip14 wrote:Not sure this is in the right topic but was speaking with a good friend of Ian Whittens today who said that:

Ian phoned BML on Thursday asking if he could go to the game on Saturday with his mates and not with the squad, as he wanted to sit in the ulster crowd with his friends. Brian said this was fine but told Hump to ensure it was ok. Hump then phoned Ian and told him that if he did so he would be suspended from the squad for a month and told not to come back to training :oops: Ian went to the match on Saturday with his mates in the end... :oops:

Good luck to him in Connacht next season! :thumright:
Absolute bull ># and I very much doubt any of Ian's good friends would tell you such a thing. I am sure when the team is announced this week you will see you have made a full of yourself posting something which is in noway relevant to our squad for next season.

Whilst Humph's man management skills aren't meant to be the best, I doubt he would go that far.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Im sure pip was just posting what he heard as would most of us. I dont think he is the fool. If its not true I would say misinformed.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Cracker wrote:This board needs to be carefull here. A joke is a joke but some of the recent comments are getting close to being defamatory.
I would echo that and would suggest the accusation is removed by the poster and unquoted.

For point of order the members of the squad not involved with the game were allowed to travel to Dublin as and how they pleased, Henry for example was in the Berkley Court for a bit prior to the game with his peg leg. I saw a good few other players milling about the town as well with friends and family before and after the game.
I'm sure pip was just posting what he heard as would most of us. I dont think he is the fool. If its not true I would say misinformed.
So if he was misinformed does this not make him a fool for believing it in the first place and even more foolish for posting it on a fans forum? I also don't think most of us would post about player/management discipline issues because unless they are put into the public domain by Ulster ala Kyriacou they should remain private.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Andy Kershaw asked to go to the match with his mates ... and Humph shot him!

Fact!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Starsky
Initiate

Post by Starsky »

Don't know if Fleg's tale is true or not but either way correct response from Humphreys.
One does not simply walk into Ulster
colwynvet
Novice

Post by colwynvet »

Cracker wrote:This board needs to be carefull here. A joke is a joke but some of the recent comments are getting close to being defamatory.
Me?
You don't know! You weren't there!
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by BuckRogers » Wed May 02, 2012 9:04 am

For point of order the members of the squad not involved with the game were allowed to travel to Dublin as and how they pleased, Henry for example was in the Berkley Court for a bit prior to the game with his peg leg. I saw a good few other players milling about the town as well with friends and family before and after the game.
Henry would have been able to take no part in the game, so stands to reason he would be allowed to go with his mates/family/whoever really.

Should Gilroy have dropped the milk jug on his foot at the team breakfast and been ruled out of the game, its likley Whitten could have been called into the squad to fill a spot on the bench.

If I was to take a guess, the above has sort of happened. Nev Spence has travelled with the team as backup no.1 but Humph has wanted Whitten to go as backup no.2. Whitten has said "ha, fat chance im going through all that incase 2 players mysteriously drop out before kickoff, im going with my mates for a beer"

(please note, the above is all speculation, it is in no way a quote of Ian Whittens or defamatory towards our Dave H or anyone else in the world, ever :lol: )
Mary had a little lamb . . .
daveysemtex
Novice

Post by daveysemtex »

Cornerfleg wrote:Andy Kershaw asked to go to the match with his mates ... and Humph shot him!

Fact!
properly lol'd
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by BuckRogers » Wed May 02, 2012 9:04 am

Henry would have been able to take no part in the game, so stands to reason he would be allowed to go with his mates/family/whoever really.

Should Gilroy have dropped the milk jug on his foot at the team breakfast and been ruled out of the game, its likley Whitten could have been called into the squad to fill a spot on the bench.

If I was to take a guess, the above has sort of happened. Nev Spence has travelled with the team as backup no.1 but Humph has wanted Whitten to go as backup no.2. Whitten has said "ha, fat chance im going through all that incase 2 players mysteriously drop out before kickoff, im going with my mates for a beer"

(please note, the above is all speculation, it is in no way a quote of Ian Whittens or defamatory towards our Dave H or anyone else in the world, ever :lol: )
IIRC there is only ever 1 back up, the 24th man, in this case spence.
However working on your theory fuzzy then there would have been another player warming up because if, as your theory suggests, whitten had been asked to be a 2nd reserve and refused then surely someone else would have been called up in whittens place and would be warming up with spence, eg danielli, farrell, luke marshall. So Unless someone saw a back, who wasnt in the 23 man squad and wasnt spence warming up with the team we can conclude that pips post is not accurate.
From what i seen spence was the only back warming up that wasn't in the 23, hence to say whitten turned down the chance to go down so he could have a pi$h up with his mates is not true.
Pips post also suggests whitten is suspended for the next month, the squad for saturday will tell us whether this is true or not. I have a suspicion that this is all complete bull from pip and he needs to check with his sources before he starts spouting about the off-field discipline of a player.
weeHughF
Novice

Post by weeHughF »

I met all the team beforehand in St Stephen's Green - 11am. Could have sworn Whitten was there.

Was more amazed that Afoa and Henry were not at least with the team.

Does anyone know who KG is? Went over to talk to Dan T, and KG didn't look one bit happy that I had no clue who he was
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Henry wouldn't have been with the for long, if he was with them at all. Seen him having an interview outside the Berkley Court Hotel and then went inside.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
cbusbyni
Novice

Re: Re: Squad for next season

Post by cbusbyni »

weeHughF wrote:
Does anyone know who KG is? Went over to talk to Dan T, and KG didn't look one bit happy that I had no clue who he was
Think it was probably Kevin Geary who is (I think) the strength and conditioning coach. Not sure why he would think people would know who he is though.... not exactly a household name?