AIL FIXTURES

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

striker
Novice

Re: AIL FIXTURES

Post by striker »

Sad about Wanderers alright- their sister club in Ulster NIFC disappeared here altogether a few years back and merged with Collegians to form Belfast Harlequins.Any chance Wanderers will merge with another D4 club or regroup and rebuild
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

They have assets. A major piece of land in D4 and 600 tickets for every international from the IRFU, 50% use of the aviva back pitch and a purpose built function area behind the aviva.
Problem is they have few players, few alickadoos, started mini rugby years and years after everyone else.To be serious, a takeover by Lansdowne FC would make sense but would be seen by them as a humiliation.
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

good luck to Quins tomorrow in the play off. getting macklin released will be a big plus. be good to get one team in AIL 1A
Moiraman
Novice

Post by Moiraman »

cheese wrote:good luck to Quins tomorrow in the play off. getting macklin released will be a big plus. be good to get one team in AIL 1A

This will be a big ask as methinks there is a major gulf in class between 1A and !B as well as Belvo holding home advantage. As a Dungannon supporter I was strangely relieved they didn't make it out of 1B for 2 reasons:
(1) I don't think they would have coped with life in 1A with present squad.
(2) Next season I will be able to see at least 3 maybe 4 AIL Dungannon matches away from home i.e. Ulster derbies.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Disappointing for Quins but may be the best thing for them, less travelling with Malone up as well that is 4 ulster derbies out of 9 away games and it gives them a chance to get their house in order with regards the 2nds and strengthening the rest of the club. Will be interesting to see the allocation of Ulster players next season and who will Malone realistically get access too.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

I know nothing about AIL just to start. Ireland has the 4 provinces but has there ever been any county competition for example? For those above the AIL level but just short of provincial level or those who could be provincial level but need tested.

Or am I talking nonsense? Either way dont shout at me. Im sure its been discussed before.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Suggest you go and look at irishrughy.ie or wiki. No , county level is not required as we believe in a Club rather than a parochial approach to this sport. Been debated before but a stupid suggestion and a none runner.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Just asked chap.
Moiraman
Novice

Post by Moiraman »

damianmcr wrote:I know nothing about AIL just to start. Ireland has the 4 provinces but has there ever been any county competition for example? For those above the AIL level but just short of provincial level or those who could be provincial level but need tested.

Or am I talking nonsense? Either way dont shout at me. Im sure its been discussed before.
I was told many moons ago by my rugby teacher at school (in late 1970's) that there was once county rugby played in Ulster but have found no evidence to support this.
Antrim Hills
Novice

Post by Antrim Hills »

damianmcr wrote:I know nothing about AIL just to start. Ireland has the 4 provinces but has there ever been any county competition for example? For those above the AIL level but just short of provincial level or those who could be provincial level but need tested.

Thought you got a brusque rebuff to a fairly innocent question. The main reason rugby's not 'into' counties is shortage of numbers. Unlike GAA for instance, where there are enough teams in every county to provide sensible competition at county level.

In its original form, the (Provincial) Town's Cup used to go closest, whereby players could turn out for their towns, even though their clubs were far away.
"Everything has its limit – iron ore cannot be educated into gold." - Mark Twain
Pob
Novice

Post by Pob »

Antrim Hills wrote:

Thought you got a brusque rebuff to a fairly innocent question. The main reason rugby's not 'into' counties is shortage of numbers. Unlike GAA for instance, where there are enough teams in every county to provide sensible competition at county level.

In its original form, the (Provincial) Town's Cup used to go closest, whereby players could turn out for their towns, even though their clubs were far away.
Think this is still the case with the Town's Cup (or ar least it was when I last played in it c.10 years ago). We would have boys from the likes of Dungannon come back and play for "the town".

Agree county rugby isn't really feasible due to numbers. We only have a dozen senior clubs in Ulster so the jump in standard to county rugby wouldn't be huge.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

I hear Malone are throwing cash around to players for next season and are looking to make a real statement of intent in 1B next season.
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

no change there then. :stir:
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Utter nonsense!
Bo***cks to Brexit
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Is John Andrews staying on at Ballymena?