Humphreys set to leave Ulster for Premiership

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Fly Half
Steward

Re: Re:nle Humphreys set to leave Ulster for Premiership

Post by Fly Half »

Snipe Watson wrote:
stickinout wrote: Not if they were managed properly....... Look at the way Sexton and Madigan have been handled . If PJ has a dip in form or is injured, what's your plan b? Move RP? Not ideal i'd say, play NOC? Might work with RP at 9 but he'd better have learned how to release his backs or we're going nowhere next year.
I'd say that is ideal. RP is our best 9 and our best 10 He plays 9.5 with 9 on his back.
We have a fundamental issue here. You think NOC is dire, but I think he is limited.
The fundamental issue is that if St Ruan gets injured Ulster are starting a HEC game with a decidedly iffy combo of Marshall with Jackson/NOC.
The future isn't what it used to be
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Humphreys set to leave Ulster for Premiership

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Fly Half wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:An NIQ 10 only makes sense to a complete idiot. All he would do is keep back PaddyJ
By that logic Ulster shouldn't sign an NIQ backrower as he'll only keep back Birch and Henderson!
Horse manure. PJ is one of the bright young things of Irish rugby and many believe he will oust Sexton from the green 10 shirt. He has served his time on the fringes of the squad and has now stepped into the driving seat.
Henderson and Birch are not on that level yet, by some distance. Would you start either of them against Leinster or even have them on the bench.................?
Jeeeeez Snipe you are losing it, did Big Al steal your password? PJ overtaking Sexton is based on what exactly? A crystal ball? Crystal meth more like it.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tenyarder
Novice

Post by Tenyarder »

I hope iH is bringing along a minder. I don't see his game fitting in with the London Irish style-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exd7nqV5-cE

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote: Jeeeeez Snipe you are losing it, did Big Al steal your password? PJ overtaking Sexton is based on what exactly? A crystal ball? Crystal meth more like it.
Give him a couple of seasons................
Did you think I meant this week? Read my posts, I always give players time..............
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote: Jeeeeez Snipe you are losing it, did Big Al steal your password? PJ overtaking Sexton is based on what exactly? A crystal ball? Crystal meth more like it.
Give him a couple of seasons................
Did you think I meant this week? Read my posts, I always give players time..............
Do I didn't think you meant this week. The whole point of this discussion is based on the irrelevant view that signing a NIQ could help us out a lot and take the pressure off PJ as NOC will offer us very little. You went all out and said that only a complete idiot would suggest that as it would hold PJ back. Now you are exposing the view that this is because you express a belief that he WILL take over from Sexton becoming a superior player. Your whole argument is based on something you seem to just know will happen. I can't reason with you if this your line of thinking.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Firstly Dave I am not a massive Sexton fan. I can't stand Radge, but he is possibly still a better 10.
Secondly, I believe PJ is a massive talent and will be a great player. I think he is better than Humph was at his age and Humph had special one stamped all over him.
Thirdly, I can see the future. That's why I don't bet...t'wood be cheating..........
weeHughF
Novice

Post by weeHughF »

Snipe Watson wrote:Firstly Dave I am not a massive Sexton fan. I can't stand Radge, but he is possibly still a better 10.
Secondly, I believe PJ is a massive talent and will be a great player. I think he is better than Humph was at his age and Humph had special one stamped all over him.
Thirdly, I can see the future. That's why I don't bet...t'wood be cheating..........
Rodge - a better 10! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Rodge is a disgrace to rugby, always has been - little rattie barsteward, yappie K nut.

Ooooo I can spiral a ball into a corner. Great, but you're going to do sweet fa with it after that, until you kick it cross field to the other corner
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

weeHughF wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Firstly Dave I am not a massive Sexton fan. I can't stand Radge, but he is possibly still a better 10.

Rodge is a disgrace to rugby, always has been - little rattie barsteward, yappie K nut.

Ooooo I can spiral a ball into a corner. Great, but you're going to do sweet fa with it after that, until you kick it cross field to the other corner

Wee Shug, I find you mildly entertaining but as fer yer naledge? Get with the programme, being bitter and twisted about Munster's finest is a commonly held if entirely stupid position around here and I've yet to hear one iota of sensible analysis on what failings he has except a yard or three of pace & not being a killer tackler. I would go so far as to say never in my lifetime have I seen a better controller of a game in Irish rugby and my memory goes back to just after Jackie Kyle's time.

I have heard all manner of fools talk about him being a nasty ballix but that doesn't stand up to scrutiny either, I have heard him better described my some who know a lot better than most here that he is a generous opponent and very very classy with new members of both Munster & Irish squads.

I still believe him to be a better international than Sexton, though Sexton is at last beginning to improve, not before timeas he closes in on 27. Sexton on the other hand is fairly majestic at HC level & below.

Now as for Snipe's assertion that PJ may become a better player, time will tell but PJ has a massive chance now to develop outside a great scrum half and a very fine pair of centres, with 2 or 3 wingers who are more than ready to come looking for offloads on all manner of lines. He has a great chance and whilst the timing of the no.1 spot is tricky in some ways given he hasn't had much rugby all season, if he has what it takes it could scarcely be better timed.

Here endeth the lesson. :wink:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

weeHughF wrote:

Shuggie..........Radge (try saying ROG in a >TB accent) is an obscene carbuncle on the face of humanity, but a darn fine rugby player. Nerves of steel and the skills to match his arrogance
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

Given the choice of either player at the top of their game I'd have ROG every time.

I also agree with Snipe that one day PJ could oust Sexton, but not for a couple of years realistically. I'm not sure he is any more or less likely to do it than Madigan. What is blatantly obvious though is that this throwing him in as first choice 10 (and only one that may be up to Heini level, assuming RP stays at 9) is a season early. If only we had a more experienced 10 with a season left on his contract.........

A NIQ 10 would be an option, but we really need that for the back row. So the more I think about it, maybe realistically NOC is one of only two options, the other being Steenson. Personally would prefer to give Steenson a go, but that is purely based on not liking NOCs style of play, and the feeling that he is definitely not going to ever be more than "oh s**t, PJ isnt available, we are going to have to play NOC"
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

There you go with your beliefs agains Snipe. I would love you to be right. I remember people saying the same about NOC though.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

NOC was never a star at any level, unlike Jackson who has excelled.

Those saying Mr O'Connor would be a future star needed to open their other eye!!!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Big-al wrote:NOC was never a star at any level, unlike Jackson who has excelled.

Those saying Mr O'Connor would be a future star needed to open their other eye!!!

A star? We're talking about rugby here not Britain's Got Talent...
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Dave wrote:
Big-al wrote:NOC was never a star at any level, unlike Jackson who has excelled.

A star? We're talking about rugby here not Britain's Got Talent...
You know what I meant

A stand out player, if you want to be a smart Brennan!
ulsterrr
Novice

Post by ulsterrr »

bye bye humphs don't let the door hit you on the way out! Think Jackson will be a star and humphs was always 50/50 what was going to happen anyways!

Plus was he a out half or winger... I could never decide