Edinburgh on the Sunday night after the Ireland match

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

bigchiefally
Initiate

Edinburgh on the Sunday night after the Ireland match

Post by bigchiefally »

Hi - Planning a trip to the Scotland Ireland match next February. With the game being on a Sunday afternoon we are considering shifting our usual Friday - SUnday trip to a Saturday - Monday one instead.

There are concerns that Edinburgh will be as dead as a dodo on Sunday night.

Any opinions from those who know the city?

ta
BigHairyMonster
Initiate

Re: Edinburgh on the Sunday night after the Ireland match

Post by BigHairyMonster »

Tend to head back home when it's a Sunday game. I hate Sunday games because of work the next day. What sort of evening out are you looking for? :wink:
In my opinion Edinburgh has the best selection of pubs in the UK. I'm not a clubber so can't help you there.
BHM
Geal'us Dearg a suas - Up the White and Red
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Probably not a club, been a while, though who knows. Bunch of lads from mid thirties to early forties. Wouldnt want an early night but neither will we be keen on standing in a place full of eeed up kids listening to cack music.

Really dislike Sunday games for just this reason. 6 nations games should be on saturdays, one after the other. 2pm 4.30pm and 7pm. And thats that...
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I was there for the Scotland v Ireland game on Sunday last year - it was dead afterwards.

It may have been different if Scotland had won but as they lost, the locals certainly didn't stick around. This was based upon a sample of two pubs... a place in the West End I would always go after a game and another one in Rose St later on in the night. The West End pub just wasn't nearly as busy as usual - no problems at all getting a seat - and they were trying to compensate by having food and drink promotions. The Rose St pub had almost got tumbleweed blowing through it later on in the evening.