What’s yer gut sayin?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Re: What’s yer gut sayin?

Post by ardsrugbyards »

Sibarrow wrote:Feeling remarkably calm & definitely a sense of anticipation not too dissimilar to the Ireland vs Oz match last September per previous poster. Head still says they will beat us more often than not but in a one-off we definitely have a chance & pinning my hopes on the backbone of big match experience of wins in RWC's, Super XV's, Currie Cups etc, not to mention Irish international lads like Best, Ferris, who have won Grand Slam & the Oz match in the RWC.

Working in Dublin & copping a lot of flack/sledging in the office from the Leinster-heads the last week or two, and it's ramping up today. Have my white flag from the semi perched proudly on the divider at my desk in amongst the blue ones! They are very very confident, which is making me feel better perversely. Just keeping my counsel & sucking it up at the moment - glad I'm travelling Friday & off for the day!

One thing is for sure, the Munster & Connacht fans are definitely behind the Ulstermen. Have a mate who is a proud Munster-man from Tipp who is coming to the final with us & who has requested the loan of an Ulster jersey for the occasion ("Munster for life, Ulster for a day" was his mantra)! Not his first time I may add - he did the same for Milton Keynes last year.
i agree i don't feel nervous at all not like the semi's and quarters, i was lucking enough to be at Eden park for the Ireland v OZ and the same feeling during the day and going to the match there was no nerves when we got seated we sang our wee hearts out as we though the score board might silence the irish crowd after a while but we ended up singing through out the full game and into the wee early hours, i think this is our time to shine when i go through our 15 i don't see weakness and i don't see them giving up, i think some folk about D4 might have some nerves as Ulster are a good side and will not be written off :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Big-al wrote:http://www.rte.ie/sport/player/#!/clip/816/

What a bunch of smug gits. Reggie says that we had an easy semi-final (I agree, it could have been harder) and says that usually we would have had to face a Leicester or Toulouse at that stage, bla bla bla. He must be forgetting that only a few months back we hammered the tigers out of Ravenhill!!!

BTW, Apparently all the pressure will be on Ulster, citing that if they don;t get ahead early on they might get hammered, pressure will make the young players panic etc. I'm pretty sure we have plenty of experienced internationals in Ferris, Wannenburg, Pienaar, Wallace, Terblanche, Muller, Afoa and Best who won't be pooing their pants if we're a score down after 30mins.

Reggie thinks Ferris will be doing well just to match the Leinster backrow.

Look on paper IMO there isn't that much between the sides, I reckon we have a pack that can batter them in the scrums, match them easily at the breakdown and run a tidy lineout. Leinster are a great team, but this Ulster team is more than capable of matching them.

Those banker down south are in for a big surprise if they think this Ulster team will simply get hammered out of Twickers. #angry
They all seem to forget while we had to play Munster in the quarter final, Leinster only had to put 15 men on the pitch and stand around for a while against Cardiff, probably the worst side ever to actually get to a quarter final.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Sure if he even comes close to that, it leaves Henry and Wannenburg free. :wink:
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

cables wrote:
Sure if he even comes close to that, it leaves Henry and Wannenburg free. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Husky
Novice

Post by Husky »

pip14 wrote:
ruckover wrote:Imagine 'Rugby Club' on Sky Sports next Thursday if we win.

Alex Payne introduces: "So Ulster are the champions of Europe this year for the first time in thirteen years. With me I have Stuart Barnes, Dewi Morris and Will Greenwood. Thoughts guys?"

Dewi: :shock:

Will: :shock:

Stuart: Initially :shock: , then "If Ulster had played an English side then it would have been completely different.."
Will Greenwood loves Ulster! :D
Dewi likes us too. He was the only one who highlighted Hines' b**t*rdly tricks that led to Clermont's try, whilst Barnes tried to ignore it and shrug it off. If only Dewi and Robbo were doing the commentary for the final (for those of us who can't get to the game). Instead, we'll have to endure Barnes spew forth love poetry about Leinster and how a victory for Leinster would be good for NH rugby.
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Gut says Leinster will win.

But it also predicted a Munster win in the QF so what does it know? :D
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Sometimes this forum gives me the hump and other times it is brilliant.
Was not really convinced about our chances but reading some of these comments has totally instilled me with reasoned logic that we can actually do this.

The fact that we have our 15 best players fit and well is massive and the most important aspect from our point of view.
Anytime we have had them out this season as Baggy was saying we have been excellent.

We know the potential weakness is their scrum.
If we can dominate there as Al mentioned we can win this game no matter how good the rest of their team is.

We have guys who have won things and know what it takes, whether its World Cups or Grand Slams coupled with some real youth potential coming to the fore.
Why should we be worried?
Thanks everyone for completely changing my mind set.
GET INTO EM!
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

BOD is talking about Process before Prizes; we're talking about Pride, Passion, Pienaar and Pedrie - no contest!!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
ad nauseam
Novice

Post by ad nauseam »

Ulster by 30+
ad nauseam
Novice

Post by ad nauseam »

At least I'm getting a weekend in London. Who needs rugby?
The Fonz
Novice

Post by The Fonz »

ad nauseam wrote:At least I'm getting a weekend in London. Who needs rugby?
Ah well if you don't need rugby you don't need to be here :lol:

Bye 8)
Keep Cool 8)
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

The Fonz wrote:
ad nauseam wrote:At least I'm getting a weekend in London. Who needs rugby?
Ah well if you don't need rugby you don't need to be here :lol:

Bye 8)
:lol: :salut: Cheerio!
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

The closer I get to this game the more my head tells me we have more than just a small chance, My gut tells me we are going to win! :D
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Sure I told ye that pages ago!!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Old King Cole...

Post by Setanta »

JONATHAN DRENNAN on the Belfast school that, as well as winning a record 33 Ulster senior cups, has provided seven of the province’s senior squad

THE FIRST smear of polish is just visible on the Ulster School’s Cup that Methodist College Belfast won for a record 33rd time on St Patrick’s Day. Barely two months on from that momentous day at Ravenhill, the school’s director of rugby, Nicky Wells, is sitting in his office plotting next year’s campaign.

It’s 7.15 am on a Monday morning and as the sun slowly rises over the school in south Belfast, Wells prepares to guide next year’s eager charges through a gruelling weights programme which started two weeks after the cup was lifted.

Wells is humorous and good company. His school has provided seven former pupils for Ulster’s remarkable charge for the Heineken Cup this season, which gives him great pride.

“It’s incredible. Every single one of those boys deserves it, with guys like Paddy Jackson, Paul Marshall, Adam Macklin, Niall Annett and Craig Gilroy, I can tell you it’s down to the sheer hard work they’ve put in over the years. The sacrifices those boys have made in their lives are enormous. They just worked and worked and look where it’s got them. It gives me great satisfaction that as a school we gave them an environment where they could go on to these great things.”

Wells’ predecessor in the coach’s dugout is his father, David (72). The Tyrone native spent over 40 years patrolling the school’s first XV pitch at Pirrie Park, before taking voluntary semi-retirement to take charge of the young first formers getting their first taste of rugby.

“Whenever a new group of youngsters enters the school we impress upon them the tradition that’s gone before them and we say you’re the little men who are going to carry it on further, the reputation rests with you,” says Wells

Methodist College Belfast, more commonly known as Methody, have established themselves as the dominant rugby school in Ulster. The school have provided a few notable players for the province before, most notably Ireland and Lions secondrow Jeremy Davidson, but never on this scale. For a province that has recently been unjustly accused of relying too heavily on foreign imports, schools like Methody are vital for Ulster’s future.

Niall Malone works for the Ulster branch as an elite development officer and as a Methody old boy and former Ulster and Ireland outhalf, is well qualified to assess the school’s recent success.

“Against Munster we had five Methody players out on the pitch at one stage, which is incredible. Methody has always had this professional approach to rugby and now every school is copying them. All the Methody boys in the Ulster squad took a different journey, whether it was Paddy (Jackson) playing Irish under-19s at school, or Craig (Gilroy) grafting his way up through Bangor rugby club when he left, they’ve all done brilliantly.”

Ulster scrumhalf Marshall remembers his time at Methody with affection and smiles when recounting the memories.

“I was never a star, I was in and out of the team from a young age, I was on the B team in my first year, then started to make the A team regularly a few years later. But playing for Davy Wells in a schools’ cup winning team was what kept me going, that’s all I wanted to do at that age.”

Marshall showed tenacity, asking to train with the first team when he was a raw 15-year-old fullback for the third XV and he modestly attributes his recent success to his rugby education on Methody’s playing fields.

“Our coaches wanted people with the right attitude and I knew I could at least fulfil that. Being honest, there were a lot better players than me at Methody, but I just wanted to get better as a player so badly, and I think people recognised that and ultimately helped me to get where I wanted to be in my rugby career.”

At 26, Marshall is approaching relative veteran status within a young squad and surrounded by former schoolmates. He laughs when he remembers current Ulster outhalf Jackson (20) constantly interrupting his lunchtime prefect duties.

“Paddy was quite a few years below me, and I first came across him in the playground; he was this small 10-year-old who was in Fullerton (Methody’s primary school) always asking all about rugby; it’s crazy to think how we’re both on the big stage now.”

Jackson is barely out of school and he still finds his new-found fame as Ulster’s outhalf startling.

He is on his way to Banbridge rugby club to hand out prizes for a mini rugby competition. He laughs, “Rory Best shafted me this morning, so I have had to travel down, but it’s brilliant for me to be able do it; I find signing autographs a bit strange, but also flattering. I remember getting a prize off Jeremy Davidson for mini rugby at that age and I’ve never forgotten that.”

After initially growing up in England due his father’s work, the Jackson family’s return to Belfast paid dividends for the school and ultimately his province.

“In England it was all about football, but as soon I went to Fullerton and then Methody, rugby dominated things. I was lucky to get into the A team from the start, and rugby became an obsession.”

Methody prides itself on its high academic standards, one alumni, Ernest Walton, was a Nobel prize winner for splitting the atom and the school regularly send pupils to Oxford and Cambridge. Jackson admits he found the academic rigours of Methody tough at times.

“When it came to playing in schools’ cup, the atmosphere around the school is something I will always remember, but when it came to the work in the classroom, the teachers didn’t really care about the rugby. I think although I came out with good grades in the end, the more I got into rugby, the more my studies suffered.”

Jackson played under the captaincy of current Ulster prop Macklin, before captaining the school in his final year.

“I think these amazing experiences I got in school started something, I always knew playing rugby was what I wanted to do ultimately. I don’t want to sound arrogant at all, but with rugby, I sort of just knew I could do it, but I didn’t think it would work out as well as it has.”

For the semi-final victory over Edinburgh at an almost-filled Aviva Stadium, Jackson was drafted in as a surprise starting outhalf. At such a young age, he appeared the calmest man in the stadium. Did it feel that way?

“No, not really,” he smiles. “I’m glad I look calm, because like anyone before a big game, you get all sorts of nerves. But I remember speaking to Neil Doak (Ulster backs coach) before the kick-off and he asked me how was I feeling. I told him I was a bit nervous and he said just imagine you’re out there playing at Pirrie Park, and that’s just what I did.”

Thousands of nervous Ulster fans, eagerly counting down the seconds to kick off at Twickenham on Saturday, will hope each of their province’s former Methody pupils imagine they are still throwing the ball around the muddy field at Pirrie Park, having the time of their lives.