Mark Anscombe?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Re: Mark Anscombe?

Post by browner »

From the Irish Times...
NCOMING ULSTER coach Mark Anscombe has been drawn into a controversy in New Zealand involving a racist text message that was sent to Auckland Blues (Super 15) coach Pat Lam.

Anscombe has denied any involvement.

Former All Black Lam, who is of Samoan decent and captained Northampton to victory over Munster in the 2000 Heineken Cup final, received what is described in a New Zealand paper NZ Truth as “a vile text message.” The message referred to the Polynesian and Maori players in Lam’s backline in a racial and derogatory way.

The text message came from a phone belonging to the 2011 Auckland provincial (ITM Cup) coach and soon-to-be Ulster coach Anscombe. The 54-year-old, who has previously worked with current Ulster players John Afoa and Jared Payne, confirmed to the paper that the message had come from his phone, but denied that he was the person who sent it.

“It certainly wasn’t from me. Someone played a joke,” Anscombe told the publication. “I had a group of people here . . . my phone is always in the kitchen and someone sent something, which I quickly jumped onto.

“It was an embarrassing situation. Someone thought they were playing a prank over a few beers. Obviously, I didn’t see the humour in it. I texted Pat immediately.”

The former Tongan captain Willie Lose spoke on Radiolive NZ yesterday evening and defended Anscombe. “It was a sick joke,” said Lose. “The gutless idiot, whoever sent it will never be known. Mark Anscombe is certainly not like that.”

Anscombe was not available for comment late last night when telephoned at his home in New Zealand. Ulster Rugby declined to comment when contacted.

However, Anscombe told NZ Truth that he knew who sent the texts and that those responsible thought that at the time it was funny. He did not name the person or people responsible.

“I don’t think they realised . I think they thought it was sending to someone else. They were quite embarrassed over what they had done and where it went,” added Anscombe.

Racism has been an ugly sideshow to Auckland’s on-pitch difficulties this season. Last month postings on their own website’s message boards and other social media subjected Lam and Polynesian and Maori players in the squad to racist slurs. All Blacks Keven Mealamu, Ma’a Nonu, Isaia Toeava and Piri Weepu were among those targeted.

Last month Lam broke down at a press conference when he talked about the negative effect the racial abuse was having on his family.

Blues management, however, declined to release the comments that almost brought their coach to tears and deleted all traces from its website and social media pages.

Anscombe added that he did not take part in anything that could be considered racist nor did he in any way support any kind of racist behaviour. “ something that I didn’t do, something I don’t condone. I know Pat quite well. I was quite embarrassed by the whole situation,” he said.

Anscombe’s 21-year-old son Gareth plays for the Blues. Mark Anscombe takes up the position of Ulster coach next season.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Mark, name and shame them :whistle:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Brilliant, absolutely fuppin brilliant. This will set the tone for the rest of
the Summer unless Mark A points the finger to the perpetrator. Don't see
any reasons why someone like this should be protected.

Unless........it was junior? Whomever it was - man up.

“I don’t think they realised . I think they thought it was sending to someone else. They were quite embarrassed over what they had done and where it went,” - MA.
Thin ice........considering the content sent........Where will I send this? :scratch:
Oh crumbs.....I meant to send my racist slur to someone else. :duh:
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

Surely this has to be the non-story of the week
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

promsandwich wrote:Surely this has to be the non-story of the week
I sincerely do hope so.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

My evil take on it.

Al didn't think before he posted
Last edited by The Fonz on Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited because Al was a twit and forgot to think before he posted
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

Big-al wrote:My evil take on it.

Al didn't think before he posted

Very good big al with an attitude like that and an ignorance of the comments he has so far made you have a glittering career ahead with one of those nasty red tops - I have heard Newscorp are hiring, I think you could be in there.

Total nonsense & non story.
Last edited by The Fonz on Thu May 17, 2012 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited because Al was a twit and forgot to think before he posted
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Luke Marshall did it ... voices told him!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Maybe Darren Cave did it ... he was ordering a black coffee but couldn't be arsed to finish his text ....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

One thing you can bet your house on though .... Colin Charvis heard it!
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Hugh Farrelly might have done it if there were no Saffers at the party ...
The Fonz
Novice

Post by The Fonz »

Think before any of you post as this is a pretty serious allegation.
If it gets out of hand I will lock the post and lock up anyone who oversteps the boundries.
Keep Cool 8)
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Is there room for debate that this is a nothing but storm in a tea cup to cover over the fact that Pat Lam is having the worst season with the Blues in living memory - great day to bury bad news....?

If Pat Lam had have been a ginger and it was a ging joke on the phone - we'd all be pashing ourselves at it - what's the difference. Too many ambulance chasers these days looking to be offended knowing that no one can make light of it, or view it for what it is.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Cornerfleg, racism is more than ambulance chasing. However, this only becomes a rod to beat Ulster's back if either of two things happened. If it was Anscombe who sent the text and he has been quite adamant in his denials - backed up by some others. If we keep going on about it and draw even more attention to it. Personally I think the idiot who did it should stand up, take his lumps and clear Anscombe's name.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I'm not down playing racisim ... but the whole Mad Matt spide thing boils my pash, same with the Charvis and Brew ballix and the Fat Controller allegations - cos is clouds the water between real disgusting racism ... and hyper sensitive tools who feel the need to play dead after a comment is made. This strikes me of sensationalism in an attempt to score points or deflect the heat away from his pathetic coaching record, if the text was Hey Pat why are you such an f**** rubbish coach. He'd have had to take it on the chin wouldn't he? There is no difference in that sort of insult than a pathetic racist remark - but he can go to the papers and get sympathy and call down evil on everyone for a race remark!

Just saying like.