Come gather round people....

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

aarons
Lord Chancellor

Re: Come gather round people....

Post by aarons »

a similar, arguably better, piece in the irish indo today

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/h ... 11095.html
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

aarons wrote: i suppose that's fair but my reasoning was this - if he's prepared to play his football for Antrim...
... he's probably not good enough to make a Munster county panel ;) :duck:
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

The bit where Barry McElduff complains about some of the Ulster players not singing the SS whilst playing for Ireland.

Is that really a "bugbear" for nationalists in the north? That comment puzzled me. Genuinely interested to hear from anyone who wishes to announce themselves as nationalist on that.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bigchiefally wrote:The bit where Barry McElduff complains about some of the Ulster players not singing the SS whilst playing for Ireland.

Is that really a "bugbear" for nationalists in the north? That comment puzzled me. Genuinely interested to hear from anyone who wishes to announce themselves as nationalist on that.
Some of those from ROI don't sing it either, only sees what he wants to see :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Seamus
Novice

Post by Seamus »

bigchiefally wrote:The bit where Barry McElduff complains about some of the Ulster players not singing the SS whilst playing for Ireland.

It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Barry McElduff, on the other hand, sickens my s***e
Agers
Novice

Post by Agers »

browner wrote:

“There is still an issue with national anthems,” he says. “It is noticeable the Ulster contingent tend not to sing the national anthem when they are playing for Ireland. That is a personal observation but I have heard many people remark on the same thing.”
I think the reasons are pretty obvious why some of the Ulster contingent don't sing the national anthem. Extending his reasoning the whole Ireland team should be expected to sing God save the queen when the Wolfhounds etc. play north of the border, bit of a double standard?

My view on the whole anthem issue: It's a personal thing and no one can or should be forced to sing a particular anthem. Ireland's Call is there for a reason, surely the fact that supporters and players from both sides of the border and community can get behind that is the kind of thing we need to go forward.

I don't know, maybe I'm way off the mark!
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Agree with Baggy on the 20% at Ravers, and the 40% at Methody surprised me too. Even in a town as divided as Lurgan there were quite a few catholics played in my time which was brilliant. Lurgan's one problem (if Lurgan has only one problem) is that the rugby club is reached through the Mourneview estate rather than an entrance from a more mixed/neutral area. Rugby has a huge opportunity to build bridges that few other sports have.
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

I suppose the converse would be me, a unionist, being annoyed if an Ulster rugby player WAS singing the SS at a home Ireland game. I suppose thinking about it that way I would guess some unionists may actually find it annoying.

To me it seems like, in either case, someone getting annoyed at the completely and utterly blindingly obvious
ie that some here want a UI and feel allegiance to it (the singers) and that some here dont want a UI and feel no allegiance to it (the feet watchers)
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

AODHAN GALLAGHER

Antrim senior footballer
Realistically, Ulster Rugby is not a provincial team but the local professional club team.

I don’t have an Ulster shirt, I have an allegiance to Munster, but I don’t personally see a problem with anybody going to watch Ulster.

When it’s two Irish provinces playing, maybe there will be some people up here going for Leinster, but if it was, say, Ulster v Clermont or Leicester, everyone would support Ulster.
:scratch:

And this plonker teaches children
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Lurgan Lad wrote:Agree with Baggy on the 20% at Ravers, and the 40% at Methody surprised me too. Even in a town as divided as Lurgan there were quite a few catholics played in my time which was brilliant. Lurgan's one problem (if Lurgan has only one problem) is that the rugby club is reached through the Mourneview estate rather than an entrance from a more mixed/neutral area. Rugby has a huge opportunity to build bridges that few other sports have.
Anyone any idea how "mixed" are the other big rugby playing schools?
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

To be annoyed by that would be like complaining water is wet. I'm much more annoyed by the likes of rog not singing Ireland's Call.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Fair point aaron
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

Agers wrote:
browner wrote:

“There is still an issue with national anthems,” he says. “It is noticeable the Ulster contingent tend not to sing the national anthem when they are playing for Ireland. That is a personal observation but I have heard many people remark on the same thing.”
I think the reasons are pretty obvious why some of the Ulster contingent don't sing the national anthem. Extending his reasoning the whole Ireland team should be expected to sing God save the queen when the Wolfhounds etc. play north of the border, bit of a double standard?

My view on the whole anthem issue: It's a personal thing and no one can or should be forced to sing a particular anthem. Ireland's Call is there for a reason, surely the fact that supporters and players from both sides of the border and community can get behind that is the kind of thing we need to go forward.

I don't know, maybe I'm way off the mark!
If NI had its own national anthem (a la Wales & Scotland) everyone would join in and sing it. Irish fans in general are good about respecting others anthems (there is a great clip on youtube of the Irish soccer supporters singing the French national anthem pre-match in Paris).

I wonder if he is talking about those who carry an Irish passport? Not sure if this is true or not, but did Isaac Boss not join in singing the national anthem initially, but doesn't anymore? (it may have been a joke by one of his team mates as someone would have had to teach it to him!).
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Flegs anyone
TMHG
Initiate

Post by TMHG »

aarons wrote:

To be annoyed by that would be like complaining water is wet. I'm much more annoyed by the likes of rog not singing Ireland's Call.
Is it just O'Gara or all players? There is quite a few players (incl Ulster players) who don't sing Ireland's Call.