Norn Iron / Ulster

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Jockster
Squire

Re: Ulster/Norn Iron

Post by Jockster »

We've got a right :stir: here :banghead:
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

UncleFester wrote:
That's great you don't hold grudges against the British, but there certainly some down your neck of the woods do who would be (very) anti British. That won't come as a shock to you, even if you would never have one as a friend. Doesn't mean you might never be friendly towards them though - does it?

Northern Ireland is a fairly divided society, so being acquainted with people of differing views is inevitable.
No it is no shock to me as I have already said I know tons of people who hold views I'd be uncomfortable with.

Yes it does. I have already said I wouldn't be on friendly terms with people holding views I find objectionable.

Yes being acquainted with people is not the same as being on friendly terms with people.

This is my last post on this matter as I think we are done with it given the repetition in the last post by each of us. There's only so many ways you can say the same thing. Besides which I've seen Mr. Dredd hanging about and I don't want his evil eye on me.

>TH
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Judge Dredd
Site Moderator

Post by Judge Dredd »

Big-al wrote:Isn't Keith Wood aptly named fester?

Ladies and gentlemen we have a Munster troll!!!
Citizen Al, this thread was split by the Mods of MegacityOne to allow those Citizens who wished to indulge in the usual dull, stagnant and sterile debate that these threads become to do so. It also allowed us to keep an eye on it whilst allowing other posters to enjoy discussing rugby on a rugby site.

If you have evidence or a direct allegation of trolling please PM any of the Mods and it will be investigated.
"To protect and serve"
UncleFester
Novice

Post by UncleFester »

Shan wrote:
UncleFester wrote:
That's great you don't hold grudges against the British, but there certainly some down your neck of the woods do who would be (very) anti British. That won't come as a shock to you, even if you would never have one as a friend. Doesn't mean you might never be friendly towards them though - does it?

Northern Ireland is a fairly divided society, so being acquainted with people of differing views is inevitable.
No it is no shock to me as I have already said I know tons of people who hold views I'd be uncomfortable with.

Yes it does. I have already said I wouldn't be on friendly terms with people holding views I find objectionable.

Yes being acquainted with people is not the same as being on friendly terms with people.

This is my last post on this matter as I think we are done with it given the repetition in the last post by each of us. There's only so many ways you can say the same thing. Besides which I've seen Mr. Dredd hanging about and I don't want his evil eye on me.

>TH
Fair enough. Paths can cross with lots of people of different views. Sometimes you just get on with it.
mikkii6
Novice

Re: Errigle Inn

Post by mikkii6 »

UncleFester wrote: I have friends who are involved in the gaa, who were clambering over themselves to get to Ireland rugby international matches, however, when it comes to Ulster Rugby, they couldn't give a funkey's muck. I put this solely down to not wanting to support the professional rugby team based in Northern Ireland.
The HC Final was screened in Sally O'Brien's bar in Omagh. This bar usually screens GAA as the sports appeal more to their clientelle. Ulster's success in the HC was enjoyed by all communities. In any event it's quite common that people who are not massive fans of particular sports will often go to a game at international level because most people enjoy big-ticket sporting spectacles. Simple. I don't think you're comparing like for like at all.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Some GAA clubs show Ulster matches in the bar on Friday nights. :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Christ, I've just wasted some of the remaining time allotted to me on this planet reading this shyte. :banghead:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Christ, I've just wasted some of the remaining time allotted to me on this planet reading this shyte. :banghead:
As have I - thanks for jolting me back to reality bagster.

Bye-bye dear thread!
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

If I remember correctly, SUFTUM was first sang by the Windsor Park yahoos, then "stolen" for Ravers, :roll:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Re: Errigle Inn

Post by darkside lightside »

UncleFester wrote:I have friends who are involved in the gaa, who were clambering over themselves to get to Ireland rugby international matches, however, when it comes to Ulster Rugby, they couldn't give a funkey's muck. I put this solely down to not wanting to support the professional rugby team based in Northern Ireland.
help me here - you reckon your friends don't support Ulster because it's based in NI (as an aside, have you asked these 'friends' why they don't support Ulster?); why then would they support any of the 6 county GAA teams? Which are also based in NI?
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Ulster Rugby is probably necessary for business, marketing and organizational reasons but for most people I suspect that UR and UB mean exactly the same thing. The whole area of funding from Dublin, restrictions on NIQs and central contracts makes a complete nonsense of the notion of UR as some sort of a standalone corporate NI-centric body.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UncleFester
Novice

Post by UncleFester »

mikkii6 wrote: The HC Final was screened in Sally O'Brien's bar in Omagh. This bar usually screens GAA as the sports appeal more to their clientelle. Ulster's success in the HC was enjoyed by all communities. In any event it's quite common that people who are not massive fans of particular sports will often go to a game at international level because most people enjoy big-ticket sporting spectacles. Simple. I don't think you're comparing like for like at all.
Seems link a sensible course of action for a bar. I imagine they'd have lost trade otherwise. I agree that for some people country is more important that club, but the opposite is also true for some. Which would an Ulster supporter prefer. Winning the HC or an Ireland grand slam?
Rooster wrote: Some GAA clubs show Ulster matches in the bar on Friday nights.
I imagine some will show England's games in the Euros too. I wouldn't be surprised if Strictly Come Dancing got an appearance or two either.
darkside lightside wrote: help me here - you reckon your friends don't support Ulster because it's based in NI (as an aside, have you asked these 'friends' why they don't support Ulster?); why then would they support any of the 6 county GAA teams? Which are also based in NI?
I'd say because they're GAA fans. Why do you think?

Maybe you'll help out too. Why would anyone born and raised in NI, be cheering on Leinster or Munster? Perhaps can can explain what happened in the Errigle Inn, or indeed why there are a significant number of people who would cheer on any of the other 3 professional outfits?There has to be some reason behind it. Now if Shan from Limericl can recognise a potential reason for it, I wonder why others can't. Still, maybe you can enlighten us.

http://uafc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14728
big mervyn wrote: Ulster Rugby is probably necessary for business, marketing and organizational reasons but for most people I suspect that UR and UB mean exactly the same thing. The whole area of funding from Dublin, restrictions on NIQs and central contracts makes a complete nonsense of the notion of UR as some sort of a standalone corporate NI-centric body.
Similarly, players from the southern hemisphere playing for Ulster Rugby make a complete nonsense of Ulster Rugby being a representative side. It certainly isn't a stand-alone professional outfit, but as Ulster Rugby themselves say on their website, they are "a full-time professional team based in Northern Ireland".
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

As long as the bigots stay well away from Ulster Rugby and Ravenhill does anyone truely give a toss what the brainless, backward thinking 2% think?
Anyway I've wasted enough time on this tripe.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

yee haaaa fill yer boots lads ..... :mrgreen: Its good to be back and read the same oul tom kite being chawed over. At least Im not on the ice hockey forum its sterile.
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

A Drum,= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum

bodhran= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodhr%C3%A1n

lambeg drum= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambeg_drum

a drum stick = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_stick

I must admit when I started googling re drums ,one of the first phrases that stuck in my head was this re a person who plays the drums.

a tool for playing drums
Drumstick (vegetable)

maybe the latter sums up things quite well
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine