TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

petey11
Novice

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by petey11 »

Sorry Setanta, just having a go at ya, you call it what you like :)
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Setanta wrote:Open-side/Loosehead !?!?! Too cryptic for you?

Yep still dont make sense :grin:
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

OK I don't want to do a 'Nigel Owens' here; I was wrong but please answer the point - we're short of back-rows and of 'open-sides' or 'loosies' in particular!? I'm at work so I can't write pages of carefully calculated prose.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

You know, I've never seen anyone refer to openside as loosehead before...

But yeah, we're a little light there, let us hope Birch and Henderson step up as some of us believe they can. Should that happen, and the Botes rumour come to fruition, then we're sorted well enough at back-row.

Speaking of Saffas - this Gates chap; do the management not rate Olding, or see his destiny elsewhere in the backline? It seems odd to bring in a young IQ fly-half when we've got two, both seemingly with oodles of talent, already here.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Only ever heard of the term loose forward in rugby league, but if it were applied to union, I would take it to mean anywhere in the back row. But essentially, yes, we are still light at 7, and if/when the Botes signing is announced I'll have fewer concerns. We'll have Botes & Henry, Birch as cover and McComish beyond that. Depending on how Birch goes, we might see a bit more of Henry covering 6 with Roger and Diack the eights.

Ref Olding, he's only 19, in two years time he'll be 21 and we will be able to make a better call as to whether he's a 10, a 13, or not up to it; and in the meanwhile we'll have had a good look at Gates and Jackson.
monkee
Novice

Post by monkee »

Minimal footage of Shane Gates. Mainly minimal as the forwards don't seem particularly keen on an expansive gameplan.

http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blog ... uffer.html
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

ColinM - Gates is only 19 himself; he's presumably just as much a prospect as Olding is. By 19, the Ulster management should have a better clue than 'wait and see' as to whether Olding's a live one, a maybe, a no hoper, and they should know what position his strengths suit him best to and where we'd like him to come through. And if that's fly-half, why bring in a guy from outside? It's not like Olding would be short of competition, not when we frequently play with no sub 10.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Setanta wrote:I thought I did!? Henry will get and take his International chance, which leaves us very light at wing-forward.
Don't know why you said this about CH, he's been away with Ireland and has played zilch minutes, what makes you think this, DK seems to favour POM though I don't know why, hopefully he'll get a run out saturday but i'll not hold my breath.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

scrum5 wrote:
Setanta wrote:I thought I did!? Henry will get and take his International chance, which leaves us very light at wing-forward.
Don't know why you said this about CH, he's been away with Ireland and has played zilch minutes, what makes you think this, DK seems to favour POM though I don't know why, hopefully he'll get a run out saturday but i'll not hold my breath.
Ahhh come on, you know why he prefers POM :wink:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Dan Carter
Novice

Post by Dan Carter »

I know you will not believe this because I still don't but there may be some exciting news on Monday. :wink:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Dan Carter wrote:I know you will not believe this because I still don't but there may be some exciting news on Monday. :wink:
Dan, welcome to the Board and also to Ulster. :red:

This has been doing the rounds. Would love to know if there is a basis other than wishful thinking to it. :wink:
Wishful thinking that you are asking Dan Carter that question :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Jackie Brown wrote:
scrum5 wrote:
Because he's arguably a better prospect at international level?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

OneMore wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:
scrum5 wrote:
Because he's arguably a better prospect at international level?
How can you tell?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Dan Carter wrote:I know you will not believe this because I still don't but there may be some exciting news on Monday. :wink:
Dan, welcome to the Board and also to Ulster. :red:

This has been doing the rounds. Would love to know if there is a basis other than wishful thinking to it. :wink:
Wishful thinking that you are asking Dan Carter that question :lol:
I spoke to the lovely Sarah and the sale of used shirts for skinny people the other day at Ravenhill and she confirmed that Dan signature is ‘in the bag’. She also says that Humph is only a bluffer as getting players to sign is easy and he flies all over the world making a drama out of it while she just sits in her office and sorts the whole thing out over coffee and shortbread.
LadyP
Novice

Post by LadyP »

Mr Watson you and I know that's not true, Sarah is a tea drinker and a McVities digestive lady
"This doesn't look good Parker"