Cables

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

MichaelH
Novice

Re: Cables

Post by MichaelH »

I am a long term observer on these forums but have never posted before.

As a nephew of cables, I know the family will be heartened to see all the great comments and posts on this thread. Stanley was the biggest fan of Ulster Rugby I ever met and he will be sorely missed by family and friends.

Hopefully we will get some more info up on the man himself in the next few days!

SUFTUM
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Just seen this and wanted to add my own condolences to Son of Cables and his family.

Never met him but this messageboard will be poorer without him. Someone we all respected for his knowledge and desire to provide us with the statistics to continue our discussions rather than looking to take sides.

RIP Cables :salut:
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

I just logged in today for the first time in awhile. I am very sorry to read this. He had an enclyclopaedic knowledge and a dry sense of humour. Never used 2 words where 1 would do. I also liked his avatar and was thinking of complimenting him one day for not changing it every 5 minutes like everyone else has been doing here recently.
To me cables is a funny-looking character waving a tennis racquet.
Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

I remember the first time I met "Cables".
It was a few days after Ulster's 30-3 massacre of Toulouse at Ravenhill. I was looking to watch the game again and I noticed some poster on the Board called 'Cables' had recorded it on dvd. I sent him a pm asking was there any chance he could copy it for me and I would pay him for it. He replied that he wasn't great at copying dvds but I could borrow his copy, make a copy and return it to him.

I offered to call to his house to collect it, not a chance. He asked where I lived and when I said "Holywood Road", he replied "I'll meet you in Tesco's petrol station carpark" "How will I know you?" - his reply "Just look for Santa Claus". He drove halfway round Belfast just to lend a total stranger a dvd - that was the sort of guy he was.

At a URSC bbq a couple of years ago at Newforge I was standing talking to a few members about the building plans for Ravenhill and how the ground had looked when I started going to games in the late 70s. Goodaine was keeping me going about being 'ancient' when Cables joined the group. Goody said to him "Moonbeam here is giving us a lecture on ancient history, I think he's that old he must have gone to school with you!", he looked at me and laughed "Nah, you've a couple of hundred years to go before you're as old as me".

I loved chatting to him at URSC players evenings and BBQs, I learned so much from him.

My deepest sympathies to his family on their great loss.
33604_105705639492569_864911_n.jpg
33604_105705639492569_864911_n.jpg (12.8 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Stanley Phillips
Cables
Ulster Rugby statistician and corrector of journalists / programme editors / CEOs
You will be sorely missed :salut: :red:
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Unlike many on this board fortunately I had the pleasure of knowing Stanley Phillips aka Cables personally and up until now I had always respected his wish for anonymity on this board.

One of life’s true gentlemen with whom I have enjoyed many a conversation on an array of subjects not always rugby and who it has been a pleasure to know. I was shocked at learning the news of his passing having recently enjoyed both his and his wife’s company along with a few other close friends. I am glad I forced him into that last whisky together before I departed for foreign fields. It is with regret that I will not be able to attend his funeral.

Deepest sympathy to Margaret and the family circle at this time. My thoughts are with you.

Stand up for the Cableman :salut:
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
theCloudSpotter
Initiate

Post by theCloudSpotter »

RIP
29xThePain
Squire

Post by 29xThePain »

Had the pleasure of meeting Cables on a few occassions, an absolute gentleman, and his stats were always very helpful and very useful.

My thoughts go out to all of Cables' family during this difficult time.

Rest in Peace, Cables. You will be missed by your family, Ravenhill, and all on the UAFC
Follow me on Twitter
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Shocked to hear such news, sincere condolences to all his family and friends, I hope in some small way the warmth of those on this board helps you all through this. Great to read some of the lovely stories about Stanley. RIP
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

Never met him but his knowledge of rugby stats was incredible. He will be missed on here. RIP
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

It's amazing how someone you never met can produce such emotion, genuinely feel his passing is a great loss

Rest in peace :salut:
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Eggs wrote:It's amazing how someone you never met can produce such emotion, genuinely feel his passing is a great loss

Rest in peace :salut:
+1. Again, he will be missed.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
The Ulsterian
Initiate

Post by The Ulsterian »

Very sad news. Cables' knowledge always amazed me. He was a wonderful mind of information.

My deepest sympathies to SonofCables and the whole family circle on their loss.
DavyG
Steward

Post by DavyG »

"Good night, thank you... and may your God go with you."

A sad loss to his family and the members and readers of this board
"We are on a Journey.......Don't Stop Believin"....
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

I posted this morning, and unfortunately and regrettably I managed only a couple of words.

I'm not ashamed to say that as I did so, the tears were flowing, but I am ashamed to say that in my shock and disbelief, I failed to pass on my condolences to cables' family - I hope this post will redress this as I offer my sincere sympathy.

I'm glad to say that cables was my friend. We didn't spend a lot of time in each others company, and I have only known him for maybe 10 years, but I can honestly say that time spent in his company (either in the real world, or the virtual world of t'internet) was time well spent on my part. The memories are many and varied, whether standing on the prom (at pre-season friendlies or Ravens matches - he only ventured over to the terrace once in my memory), propping up a bar over a pint or a wee scotch (or both), or putting the world to rights openly or privately on a message board - I always enjoyed his company.

Most won't consider this an honour, but perhaps they will take it in the way it was intended - cables did - and maybe it will rekindle a few memories for a few old timers here. As most will know the second barrier crew refers to the bunch of daft galloots that stand roughly at the half-way line on the terrace side of the pitch. That's the TERRACE side of the pitch. Many have wanted to be members, some have even been refused membership - but one thing they all have in common is that they stood near the half-way line on the terrace side - all except one - cables. Cables was a one-man second barrier crew (Prom chapter) - one of the original crew. I don't even know if he thought about this, but he certainly enjoyed his part in the early adventures of the sbc - from crossing Lake Cordelia to travelling to Australia on his lawnmower - all in a days posting on the old message boards.

His life experience as well as his encyclopaedic knowledge of Ulster and Irish rugby were vast and his wicked sense of humour was something else. I last spoke with cables just over a week a go on the phone and discussed how I would repay a favour. Typically for him, he didn't require repayment, but we did agree that there was a favour I could do for him, but it would wait until the URSC barbecue .......

The respect that cables was held in is clear not only by the messages of condolence posted here by regular posters, but also less regular members and even some who have registered for the first time JUST to pay their respects. Perhaps that says it all - I think cables would be shocked by all of this. As many know he was an intensely private man, who helped many, but looked for no acknowledgement or thanks in return. Many knew the name "cables", but not many would recognise the name "Stanley Phillips". Perhaps now in death, Stanley will have the recognition he shunned in life. I hope that and the love, respect and admiration that many have shown on this forum will serve as some comfort to his closer friends and family - but they already knew just how special he was.

Farewell, friend. :salut:

Grumps (First Ulster Guru) :wink:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

Only seeing this topic just now,must say its very strange the new look site.Sad sad news on Cables,my prayers and thoughts are with his family and friends. Take care Cables god bless.