Cables

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Cables

Post by breakdown »

I think it's right to say it really puts things into perspective. The more tales people have of Stanley make him seem like more and more of a gent as they are told.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Cables

Post by shamalicious »

Having read some of your stories makes me sorry not to have met him.

RIP Cables :salut:
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Ah ****.

I never met the man, I only knew of him from here really, and yet getting up and reading in other threads that had something had happened immediately put a downer on my day. A scholar and a gentleman, and my condolences to his family and friends, whose loss is far greater than of posters such as me. May he rest in peace.
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Sincere condolences to the Phillips' family and friends.

As a relative newcomer to the forum I had the pleasure of being politely corrected by Cables on one of my first posts and he did it in such a way as to make me feel good about it and welcome at the same time - takes some doing - from everything I have read here this was simply the tip of the iceberg :salut:

Rest in peace Cables :salut:
Finished
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I remember in the early days some posters actually thought that Cables and myself were the same poster and whilst we agreed on most if not everything Stanley had a different approach to myself in expressing things. It was one of the main reasons why be both made the effort to contact each other and there after form a friendship.

Stanley was full of interesting stories, we shared many over the years and without doubt he was a man who stuck to his principles with an uncanny knack of being able to smell both bullshit and a bullshitter at 50 paces. Just glad we caught up a couple of times after the HEC Final.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Post by Gemma »

Very sad news, the board won't be the same without him.

RIP.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Sad news, thoughts to the family at this time.

RIP.
URSC Secretary
Initiate

Post by URSC Secretary »

On behalf of the URSC Committee I would like to pass on sincere condolences to the family and friends of esteemed URSC member and past URSC Committee colleague, Stanley Philips.

Stanley took a great interest in the URSC from its inception and his interest in Ulster Rugby pre-dates that by some margin! He oversaw the development of the URSC constitution and kept us right on all things process and procedural. When we did get it wrong, he politely pointed this out. Always an asset never a liability. In particular, he kept a paternal and critical eye on the URSC AGM. Perhaps, more importantly, he was a loyal supporter of the URSC, attending virually all player and management Q&A sessions and munching his way through manys a URSC BBQ. Every Friday night he would come along for a chat at the URSC tent and invariably put his hand in his pocket to buy another ballot ticket.

In all this he kept a low profile preferring to listen rather than talk, but when he did speak, we listened and invariably (from foot soldier fan to Field Marshall UR Chief Executive) learned.

Of course Stanley was the "go to man" on all things historic and statistical on Ulster Rugby, but he was also someone that URSC consulted on more contemporary URSC and Ulster Rugby issues. Whilst Stanley didn't suffer fools gladly - his responses were considered, informed and usually solution-solvingly pragmatic.

Stanley - we will miss you at the URSC tent on match nights

Cables - we will miss you on this forum on all nights

Father Christmas - we will miss you putting your match programme in its sealed plastic bag - a source of information to be collected, and, often as not, corrected

.....but we will not miss you as much as your family circle and we particularly think of them at this time.

Cables, you may have been disconnected, but your light shines on.
Visit our web site:

http://www.ursc.co
29xThePain
Squire

Post by 29xThePain »

Nice to see the the Stanley / Cables tribute at the top of the page. :salut:
Follow me on Twitter
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

RIP,sad news indeed,our thoughts are with family and friends, :salut:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Anyone rememeber those couple of occasions when someone actually got the better of Cables and had the "courage" to correct him? I bet they checked their facts about 1000 times before posting on here, such must have been the disbelief at Cables being wrong!

Anyway, what I really remember was the way he was always genuinely admiring and appreciative of people who did this and I can imagine him immediately updating his computer records to ensure the correct info was stored straightaway, thereby ensuring that any future questions would be answered as accurately as ever.

Says a lot about the guy.
chris d
Novice

Post by chris d »

very sad news. thoughts are with the family.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

WOW, only came across this now, thought it was just another poster looking some stats from him.

RIP Cables!!
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Ditto. Shocked and saddened. My condolences to his family. RIP Sir :salut: :red:
Exterminate all rational thought
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

just seeing this now, very sad news

thoughts and prayers are with the family

this place won't be the same without him